The Student Room Group

You find a £20 note on the street...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Motorbiker
I wouldn't keep it anyway. Not sure about others. And guessing people would need to say where it was dropped and maybe some rough details otherwise you could walk in daily and say you dropped £50.

Well yeah I take it you have to but the odds of the right person getting it back are so slim that it would be pointless handing it in. If I saw someone drop it then I'd flag them down and give it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Just what kind of student are you? :hmmm:

Haha :smile:
Original post by Stinkum
Haha :smile:

Get the imposter! :mob:

£20 is like a load of beers (potentially, if you don't live in London)
(edited 9 years ago)
Finder's keeper. But in the past , it depends on the sum of money.
Reply 64

Yeah I can get a crate of Beck's for a tenner

Posted from TSR Mobile
£20 I'd keep if untraceable owner etc.
Any significant amount I would maybe ring police - but mainly post on the FB page for my town and ask (also like what notes, where etc. to try to find real owner)
Reply 66

I never buy beer :smile:
Plus, it's someone else's £20, so I'm not entitled to it.
Reply 67
Original post by Stinkum
Plus, it's someone else's £20, so I'm not entitled to it.

Pizza?

Chocolate?

Takeaway?

That could feed me for a month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
Possibly, but the standard of proof is very low, you only need to believe that the note cannot be traced back to the original owner.

As a side point, I think that £20 is not enough for the original owner to go to the police station.

Perhaps something more substantial will prompt a search.

How much would it take you losing to go to the police station to try and ask then?

Original post by Andy98
Well yeah I take it you have to but the odds of the right person getting it back are so slim that it would be pointless handing it in. If I saw someone drop it then I'd flag them down and give it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh if they go in and say "i lost £20 note at 1:35ish on the high street on monday" and you say you found it at 1:40 then that's a good chance. I don't think you get people "trying it on" daily since the time/rough location would probably be needed.
Original post by Stinkum

Again what kind of student are you :hmmm:

But the owner is never going to see it again. It's either you or someone else who will pick it up. May as well be you.
How much would it take you losing to go to the police station to try and ask then?

tbh if they go in and say "i lost £20 note at 1:35ish on the high street on monday" and you say you found it at 1:40 then that's a good chance. I don't think you get people "trying it on" daily since the time/rough location would probably be needed.

£50+
Reply 71
Again what kind of student are you :hmmm:

But the owner is never going to see it again. It's either you or someone else who will pick it up. May as well be you.

Haha perhaps not the usual kind. If it was a giant wad of cash, I might give it a second look, but the sight of a £20 note won't even cause me to break stride, turn my head or get any ideas, I don't need it.
Original post by tehforum
£50+

New thread needed i reckon.

How much money you would need to find before you handed it in?
1p to £4.99.
£5-19.99
£20 - 49.99
£50-99.99
£100-199.99
£200-499.99
£500+
I'd never hand it in, lol
Reply 73

But that is the point, if I lost the note I wouldn't have a time or location. I don't think many people would actually go to the station to claim money they had lost

Posted from TSR Mobile
The policeman would probably keep it, 20 isn't that much amount of money to lose and go to the police about.. Give it to a homeless person instead or something.
I've handed in less than that at a police station when I found a tenner that hadn't been taken from a cash machine. Given that the machines usually take the money back after a few moments I figured the original owner wasn't far away. I stayed for a few moments to see if they came back but they didn't and the police station was less than 5 minutes walk away. Of course nobody goes to a police station to ask if anyone handed in £10 so 30 days later it was mine - guilt free!
(edited 9 years ago)
Charity, even if I gave it to the police I doubt the owner would get their money back anyway.
Give it to the Palestine appeal
Keep it, who wouldn't :lol:
New thread needed i reckon.

How much money you would need to find before you handed it in?
1p to £4.99.
£5-19.99
£20 - 49.99
£50-99.99
£100-199.99
£200-499.99
£500+
I'd never hand it in, lol

:smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest