The Student Room Group

Do people take notes in uni?

So I'm going to uni in the coming month or so. Since I NEVER took notes in high school, I was wondering if I should start to learn some note taking skills and thinks like that.

So current uni students: Do you take notes in lectures?
Going to be fresher: Would you want to take notes?

Scroll to see replies

No, I'm pretty sure you get kicked out of the lecture theatre if you do.
Of course people take notes. But don't feel the need to write down everything said, or on the lecture slides. Trying to understand the material is more important.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
So I'm going to uni in the coming month or so. Since I NEVER took notes in high school, I was wondering if I should start to learn some note taking skills and thinks like that.

So current uni students: Do you take notes in lectures?
Going to be fresher: Would you want to take notes?

Are you serious? :lolwut:

From my experience, taking notes is the only chance of actually taking something away from the lectures, no point attending otherwise.
I've decided I'll be only noting down key and important points(how I know which facts are important or not will take time :tongue:) then I'll find the rest in the textbook
People will, for the most part, take notes. Having said that, a lot of people do them in different ways. Some use pen and paper, others type them in a word doc, others download the powerpoints and type in the notes section, while I liked to print off the powerpoints and take notes at the side by hand and highlight on the slides (this is why having my own printer came in very handy!)
Original post by jameswhughes
Are you serious? :lolwut:

From my experience, taking notes is the only chance of actually taking something away from the lectures, no point attending otherwise.

I am, I memorise everything the teacher saids. Then when i revise, i look at the book for highlighted points I've made.
Thats how i made i through high school.
nervous for results...
Do people take notes in uni?

Do people not take notes in uni?
Original post by clonedmemories
People will, for the most part, take notes. Having said that, a lot of people do them in different ways. Some use pen and paper, others type them in a word doc, others download the powerpoints and type in the notes section, while I liked to print off the powerpoints and take notes at the side by hand and highlight on the slides (this is why having my own printer came in very handy!)

I really would love my lectures like what you've describe of having PPs. However, when Im in HS, my teachers would give me the PP in class, but it is not complete as she saids 50% of the things, and writes the rest in the PP...

So yea...
Original post by OnionRing
I've decided I'll be only noting down key and important points(how I know which facts are important or not will take time :tongue:) then I'll find the rest in the textbook

That strategy relies on there being a textbook... Which there isn't for most of my modules!
I really would love my lectures like what you've describe of having PPs. However, when Im in HS, my teachers would give me the PP in class, but it is not complete as she saids 50% of the things, and writes the rest in the PP...

So yea...

Hence why you write down the other stuff at the side; I like it personally because I take the information in as I write it down, but I also don't feel pressure to get down everything, especially as I usually can read ahead a few slides and know what to expect. You'll also very quickly realise which lecturers are the best with powerpoints and be able to adapt your technique with each one!
Original post by RibenaRockstar
That strategy relies on there being a textbook... Which there isn't for most of my modules!

There's textbooks for mine.
I am, I memorise everything the teacher saids. Then when i revise, i look at the book for highlighted points I've made.
Thats how i made i through high school.
nervous for results...

How you will cover content and the rate at which it's delivered is completely different to school, in school you don't need notes as the exam board gives you a textbook which perfectly matches the exam.

At university, the lecturer writes the course, and would you expect to remember everything from lectures in October when you get to June? University really is a completely different kettle of fish.
I remember in my first ever university lecture I decided to literally write down everything that the lecturer said. In doing so, I realised that I wasn't actually understanding anything, so from then onwards I decided not to ever take notes, but instead listen to the lecturer with full attention. Worked well for me - I ended up getting 79% overall for my first year, with no less than 80% in any of my exams.
Original post by jameswhughes
How you will cover content and the rate at which it's delivered is completely different to school, in school you don't need notes as the exam board gives you a textbook which perfectly matches the exam.

At university, the lecturer writes the course, and would you expect to remember everything from lectures in October when you get to June? University really is a completely different kettle of fish.

So i guess i need to take notes then...
So i guess i need to take notes then...

I can't speak for all courses, but that's what I've learnt from my experiences. Perhaps it's different in other subjects, but with maths I'd definitely want something written down, it's taught so quickly you have no chance of taking it in at the time.
Lecture slides are uploaded so i write a very limited amount in lectures and focus on listening. I write a lot in tutorials.

In first year the lecurer actually said to do the opposite.
Reply 17
most of my lectures are uploaded, and the lecturers just read off the board, so in those i play pokemon wit a few mates, and the ones where i have to write, just bring a small notepad or something, take quick key notes and write up everything you remember straight after the lecture
since lectures seem to be the way in which you actually get in to the subject, i think taking notes is essential
In first year I only took notes for one of my six modules. I'm a humanities student so I just say **** it, go to the library, checkout like 10 books and start reading, that's how I learn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending