The Student Room Group

Should sixth form's have a uniform?

Just wondering about people's opinions about having a uniform at sixth form? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My sixth form had a uniform and I was fine about it. It was the same uniform as years 7-11 apart from a different tie and a jumper instead of a blazer so it wasn't that bad.
Reply 2
Original post by chickandtweety
Just wondering about people's opinions about having a uniform at sixth form? :smile:

I wouldn't mind you know, saves the hassle of looking for something to wear everyday :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by danniibee
My sixth form had a uniform and I was fine about it. It was the same uniform as years 7-11 apart from a different tie and a jumper instead of a blazer so it wasn't that bad.

My school did I left after year 11 and wen't to collage I am against uniforms full stop a dress code is fine but uniform no.
Original post by danniibee

The sixth form I got into also has a uniform, I don't have a problem either :smile:
Original post by 78Saab
I wouldn't mind you know, saves the hassle of looking for something to wear everyday :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

True! Lool
I think they should! My school currently doesn't have a uniform but has specific rules about what you can wear like blazers and smart dress. Everyone either breaks the rules or becomes obsessed with what others are wearing. I don't see a problem in wearing a uniform because it means less money is spent on buying clothes you'll only wear for 2 years and there's less chance of bullying and all that.
Reply 7
I'd prefer it if they did. The trouble of finding an outfit in the morning is high, alongside the fact I feel I wear some items of clothing too often.
Reply 8
For me, the jury's out on this. On the one hand, if you think of VI Form as a transition to university from school - wearing more or less what you like for lessons / lectures is part of that.

On the other hand, there are no dress codes at university, and there might not be anywhere for a young person to get into the habit of dressing for employment.

I might err on the side of no uniform, and potentially no dress code either. I went to a VI form that had only one dress rule - and that was "no shorts for males", which I thought was kind of unfair.
The sixth form at the school I went to didn't have a uniform but had to dress smart. So they had to wear suits basically, or at least a shirt and tie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We had a basic dress code but no uniform. Basically you could wear what you wanted, within reason.

Sixth forms shouldn't have uniform. With younger kids uniform puts everyone on a level playing field and stops people getting bullied for having only cheap clothes. At that age it also teaches them to follow rules. At sixth form I just don't think it's necessary.
My sixth form has a uniform and I'm quite glad it does to be honest - it saves the hassle of finding something to wear every morning and because it's largely the same as the year 7-11 uniform (white shirt instead of a yellow one) it means money is saved as well.
I think it really depends on the school or college environment for example most 6th formers have to stick to business every day work clothes smart clothes, but there are others where students where what they like.

I went to college and most students turned up in joggers and hoddies. But please have a look at previous years and see what they wore or have a look on the dress code

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chickandtweety

I don't think Sixth Form should have uniforms. You're approaching uni and becoming an adult so it's important to start establishing your own sense of identity and to beable to express yourself. I would suggest that having uniforms can alienate people/ make them feel like they're just next in line on the conveyor belt that is education/higher education, and that's not what you want. What you want are people who feel liberated, independent etc that can challenge the world.

Some cheap points are being able to dress appropriately for the weather etc
I like the Sixth Form's where you get to where your own suit.
You don't have to look for something to wear everyday, you still look smart, and you get to add variation for the first time in an age.
my sixth form does have a uniform (kind of), its mostly just smart dress and a blazer, the guys wear suits and the girls were skirts/trousers and dresses with blazers. Mind you, our sixth form kept up the strict uniform policy. Girls (including me!) could get away with wearing black skinny jeans if they looked like trousers.
Original post by FutureHeartSurg
I don't think Sixth Form should have uniforms. You're approaching uni and becoming an adult so it's important to start establishing your own sense of identity and to beable to express yourself. I would suggest that having uniforms can alienate people/ make them feel like they're just next in line on the conveyor belt that is education/higher education, and that's not what you want. What you want are people who feel liberated, independent etc that can challenge the world.

Some cheap points are being able to dress appropriately for the weather etc

I agree to an extent.
How do you feel about 6th forms where they wear suits?
I had to wear a uniform, complete with wool blazer, jumper, shirt, tie and shoes and I turned out just fine... I think. :colondollar:
Absolutely. If you look at the statistics every school in the top 10 results-wise has a uniform at sixth form. Students don't function properly not in uniform, they no longer view it as school and instead some sort of doss. If a sixth form doesn't have a uniform it is a sure sign that it is rubbish!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending