The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Is Leicester really a top 20 university as they claim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mansun
It takes a few years post graduation to truly understand which are the best universities. All those 17-18 year olds who download league tables and go by hearsay will have a very different and more informed view in 5-10 years time. Some will be lucky in that they did genuinely choose a reputable RG university, others will not be so lucky and will realise they were robbed by media league tables by attending Lancaster instead of Leeds or Manchester or Durham.

Likewise, many students in a few years will realise their degree subject was the wrong choice, and they wished they did something more relevant to employment.
I must say I'm not quite clear why you are spending so much time and effort arguing a pretty pointless thesis, especially as it appears that you have no personal experience of the university to draw on to inform your opinion.

Membership of the Russell Group does not confer excellence, nor do most employers take a blind bit of notice whether an applicant graduated from one of its member universities or not. What employers are looking for is evidence that the applicant made the most of their time at university, achieving a good degree and acquiring life and other skills that are valuable in the workplace. For the most part they really don't care if the degree is in Widget-Fitting or awarded by DuckPond University. Of course there are exceptions, but what I've said is generally true of most graduate schemes and employers recruiting to jobs where a graduate is required.

All I've seen from you in this thread - and, as I say, I am puzzled as to why you made the effort to start it off at all - is assertions that in your opinion Leicester's ranking in some of the published league tables is unjustified. I see nothing that tells me you are qualified to make those assertions.

Prospective or current students of Leicester reading this should be reassured that they are signed up for a good university and that their prospects after graduation will be as good as anyone else's. After all, there are unemployed Oxbridge graduates out there, while graduates from so-called 'lesser' universities have walked in to well-paid jobs with serious career development opportunities.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by SmashTimeFool
where did you do your undergraduate degree?

I think I explained that earlier. Nottingham, Birkbeck, now UCL. And the MSc at UCL could ruin me due to the absurd cost.
Original post by cork279
I think this is a good place to end the thread. I feel like it's repeating itself over and over.

Tbh, i agree mate, having read the whole thread made me realise how pointless this is. Sitting here typing your words is not going to suddenly move Leicester up 10 places on the university table
This guy is such a ****ing troll. Report and move on.
Original post by LeicesterStudent
This guy is such a ****ing troll. Report and move on.

Agree, ManSun is a troll mate.
Reply 65
Original post by Minerva
I must say I'm not quite clear why you are spending so much time and effort arguing a pretty pointless thesis, especially as it appears that you have no personal experience of the university to draw on to inform your opinion.

Membership of the Russell Group does not confer excellence, nor do most employers take a blind bit of notice whether an applicant graduated from one of its member universities or not. What employers are looking for is evidence that the applicant made the most of their time at university, achieving a good degree and acquiring life and other skills that are valuable in the workplace. For the most part they really don't care if the degree is in Widget-Fitting or awarded by DuckPond University. Of course there are exceptions, but what I've said is generally true of most graduate schemes and employers recruiting to jobs where a graduate is required.

All I've seen from you in this thread - and, as I say, I am puzzled as to why you made the effort to start it off at all - is assertions that in your opinion Leicester's ranking in some of the published league tables is unjustified. I see nothing that tells me you are qualified to make those assertions.

Prospective or current students of Leicester reading this should be reassured that they are signed up for a good university and that their prospects after graduation will be as good as anyone else's. After all, there are unemployed Oxbridge graduates out there, while graduates from so-called 'lesser' universities have walked in to well-paid jobs with serious career development opportunities.

I have to disagree with you on pretty much all your points. The top firms such as IBM, PwC, Microsoft etc tend to favour the RG universities, they are seen as the most respected universities. Likewise, Oxbridge also favour them for posgrad applications.

I would suggest that the thread be closed, as it has reached the climax. Leicester openly claim to be top 20, and I say they are wrong to claim that, as there is no evidence to support that assertion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
I have to disagree with you on pretty much all your points. The top firms such as IBM, PwC, Microsoft etc tend to favour the RG universities, they are seen as the most respected universities. Likewise, Oxbridge also favour them for posgrad applications.

I would suggest that the thread be closed, as it has reached the climax.
'Tend to favour the RG universities' does not mean 'totally ignore graduates from non RG universities'. The 'top firms' that you mention form a pretty small percentage of employers, which of course also include the public sector - and they certainly don't obsess about whether their applicants graduated from an RG university.

The evidence Leicester base their claim on is that in some league tables they are in the top 20 - seems a reasonable statement for them to make in those circumstances.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Minerva
'Tend to favour the RG universities' does not mean 'totally ignore graduates from non RG universities'. The 'top firms' that you mention form a pretty small percentage of employers, which of course also include the public sector - and they certainly don't obsess about whether their applicants graduated from an RG university.

Well, as long as you have the brain power, you will make it, regardless of where you go. I am just suggesting RG universities are the most respected, and Leicester is just a bit behind them overall. I did look at Leicester for an MSc as they have a strong medical school, and I was living in that city at the time. I have done my MSc at Birkbeck before, I don't just choose RG universities. I have gone to UCL for the second MSc though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cork279
In the Complete University Guide they are #19, previously #16.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

In the Sunday Times Rankings they are #14. Previously #17.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/University_Guide/

icu.org has Leicester at #16.
http://www.4icu.org/gb/

In the Guardian rankings they are #21 which is close, previously they were #13.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/02/university-league-tables-2015-the-complete-list

On FindTheBest.co.uk they are #22 which is close.
http://universities.findthebest.co.uk/

So I'd say they still deserve that claim. In most world rankings I've seen they are much higher than Bath in fact.

Not sure that the ICU is really that credible as it ranks Lancaster as 79th in the UK and Royal Holloway as last, neither of which reflect reality at all.
Original post by Mansun

I would suggest that the thread be closed, as it has reached the climax. Leicester openly claim to be top 20, and I say they are wrong to claim that, as there is no evidence to support that assertion.

I think the problem is that your generalisation of the Russel Group universities just equates to the higher ranking universities, which aren't all in the Russel Group. I come form Lancaster and I guarantee that not being in the Russel Group by no means made it more difficult for Lancaster graduates to gain jobs.
Reply 70
Original post by bownessie
I think the problem is that your generalisation of the Russel Group universities just equates to the higher ranking universities, which aren't all in the Russel Group. I come form Lancaster and I guarantee that not being in the Russel Group by no means made it more difficult for Lancaster graduates to gain jobs.

At the end of the day, students can go wherever they want to go, it is they who live with the consequences. All I would suggest is that they do think carefully about the reputation of the university, and also check with employers in the field that they want to work in that it is reputable in their eyes. I know one guy who wrote to the British Pharmaceutical Association and they told him Leeds was best for Chemistry. I'm sure Oxbridge would have been a touch annoyed about that, but they aren't the best in every subject. If you get AAB or higher, you definitely should be aiming for a university in the RG bracket, and a few others around it. There is a lot of snobbery out there, and it stays with you for life.

Young 17-18 year old students download newspaper league tables and base their perceptions on such flawed data, and zero weighting is given on academic strength. The only league tables that top universities like Durham Nottingham and St Andrews respect are the QS World Rankings, as they measure academic strength. Durham, Nottingham, and St Andrews all quote them in their prospectuses. None of them do amazingly well in them, all are top 100 world universities (top 1%). Leicester is top 2% (around top 200).

Is Leicester a top 20 university? At this moment in time, based on academic strength and overall reputation, I would say not. That claim is more worthy for KCL, York, Edinburgh, Newcastle etc. Is Leicester a good university that can open as many doors for their graduates as most in the Russell Group? Probably, yes, only in the most competitive careers like Law and Investment Banking will this not be quite the case.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mansun
At the end of the day, students can go wherever they want to go, it is they who live with the consequences. All I would suggest is that they do think carefully about the reputation of the university, and also check with employers in the field that they want to work in that it is reputable in their eyes. I know one guy who wrote to the British Pharmaceutical Association and they told him Leeds was best for Chemistry. I'm sure Oxbridge would have been a touch annoyed about that, but they aren't the best in every subject. If you get AAB or higher, you definitely should be aiming for a university in the RG bracket, and a few others around it. There is a lot of snobbery out there, and it stays with you for life.

Young 17-18 year old students download newspaper league tables and base their perceptions on such flawed data, and zero weighting is given on academic strength. The only league tables that top universities like Durham Nottingham and St Andrews respect are the QS World Rankings, as they measure academic strength. Durham, Nottingham, and St Andrews all quote them in their prospectuses. None of them do amazingly well in them, all are top 100 world universities (top 1%). Leicester is top 2% (around top 200).

Is Leicester a top 20 university? At this moment in time, based on academic strength and overall reputation, I would say not. That claim is more worthy for KCL, York, Edinburgh, Newcastle etc. Is Leicester a good university that can open as many doors for their graduates as most in the Russell Group? Probably, yes, only in the most competitive careers like Law and Investment Banking will this not be quite the case.

I agree with you. I also agree in a lot of cases the QS ranking can be a good measure of the reputation of a university as it is based on more broad measures than many of the 'normal' league tables (That are based pretty much on undergraduate aspects+research rating).
Reply 72
Original post by bownessie
I agree with you. I also agree in a lot of cases the QS ranking can be a good measure of the reputation of a university as it is based on more broad measures than many of the 'normal' league tables (That are based pretty much on undergraduate aspects+research rating).

UCL, Nottingham, Durham, St Andrews, to name a few, all pay homage to the QS Word Rankings. They don't give a toss about the UK newspaper rankings as they are based on student satisfaction and grades needed for entry, which is not a sensible set of parameters to rank with as it encourages bias and silly games of raising grades between universities to improve their ranking.

Nottingham even set a target in the 2010-2015 strategic plan to be UK top 10 and World top 50 by 2015 in the QS World Rankings. That is some respect to these rankings. Currently Nottingham is 14th and 75th, so not too bad.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending