Anyone doing MAT or did MAT?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kabilan13
Yh
It was something like integrating 0.5sin2x to show that the pdf is valid
I also had to find the upper quartile by intergrating
I did ocr by the way
If anyone have ocr June 2014 s2 paper plc share it

No need. You are correct that C4 knowledge may be required in OCR S2 and this was the case on this occasion.
Original post by MathMeister
..Please may you possibly share which question you think requires C4 knowledge?

Yh
It was something like integrating 0.5sin2x to show that the pdf is valid
I also had to find the upper quartile by intergrating
I did ocr by the way
If anyone have ocr June 2014 s2 paper plc share it

OCR's S2 says
"Knowledge of the specification content of Modules C1 to C4 and S1 is assumed, and candidates may be required to demonstrate such knowledge in answering questions in Unit S2"

This is different from Edexcel, so I see no problem for you, MathMeister. I've always made my S2 students very happy when I tell them that they will only have to integrate polynomials in S2 (they are usually struggling through the integration part of C4 at the time).
Original post by tiny hobbit
For Edexcel S2, the prerequisites are
"A knowledge of the specification for S1 and its prerequisites and associated formulae, together with a knowledge of differentiation and integration of polynomials, binomial coefficients in connection with the binomial distribution and the evaluation of the exponential function is assumed and may be tested."

Yes this part is helpful in spelling out which parts of the core might be needed (not much apparently). It's a bit poor really as it could prevent Edexcel from asking any number of interesting questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
OCR's S2 says
"Knowledge of the specification content of Modules C1 to C4 and S1 is assumed, and candidates may be required to demonstrate such knowledge in answering questions in Unit S2"

This year's paper still caught a lot of candidates out as they had never been asked to carry out a "difficult" integration in S2 before.
Original post by Mr M
Yes this part is helpful in spelling out which parts of the core might be needed (not much apparently). It's a bit poor really as it could prevent Edexcel from asking any number of interesting questions.

They seem to have managed to ask some quite interesting questions over the 14 years with this specification. It means however that candidates are being tested on their statistics, not getting stuck because of their pure maths.
They seem to have managed to ask some quite interesting questions over the 14 years with this specification. It means however that candidates are being tested on their statistics, not getting stuck because of their pure maths.

Well it'll be gone soon and the difficulty will be ramped up (assuming Labour don't get in of course).
Original post by Mr M
Well it'll be gone soon and the difficulty will be ramped up (assuming Labour don't get in of course).

As I understand it, there will be no continuous variables other than those following a Normal distribution in the Maths specification. They can therefore only come into the 50% of the Further Maths which the different boards can design individually. The differences may therefore remain.

I'm interested to see how the hierarchies of examiners work from 2016 onwards, when, at very least, there will be a mixture of Mechanics and Statistics on the same Maths paper.
Hey,
I'll try MAT 2014 aswell.
I actually do not live in UK so I'll do it as a foreigner I hope to get in .
Anyway, I did past papers, the first one was rough but after It depends of the year for example the 2013 and 2011 were easier than the 2012 , in my opinion.
I've noticed that the papers asked almost the same questions so you get used to it.
I wondered if you have to answer all questions or you can focus on 2-3 questions to score a maximum of points ?
Reply 28
Original post by Mansmisterio
Hey,
I'll try MAT 2014 aswell.
I actually do not live in UK so I'll do it as a foreigner I hope to get in .
Anyway, I did past papers, the first one was rough but after It depends of the year for example the 2013 and 2011 were easier than the 2012 , in my opinion.
I've noticed that the papers asked almost the same questions so you get used to it.
I wondered if you have to answer all questions or you can focus on 2-3 questions to score a maximum of points ?

To score the maximum number of points you'd have completely do all questions.
Hi
I just started to prepare for MAT test for oxford today
I am finding it soooooo hard and complicated
Anyone had same kind of issues?
Will i used to it if i keep practising past papers?
Plz share ur experience if u have done it before?
txx

im preparing right now. Its not that bad as you get used to he format of questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
I'm doing the MAT and not doing too well, which is a bit of a worry. Should be okay though. How are most people preparing for it, just past papers? What are the best tips and tricks (if any) from people who have already done it?
What have [people been getting on the multi choice part? I don't really understand why there are 4 marks for each question?
Original post by lightningdoritos
What have [people been getting on the multi choice part? I don't really understand why there are 4 marks for each question?

full marks 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍. because they take thinking init.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the MAT. As far as I remember the best tip is to make your sure you actually get 9/10 or 10/10 on the multiple choice because that is the easiest part and worth 40%.

Quick Reply

Latest