The Student Room Group

Is A-Level Sociology hard?

^
I'm extremely nervous because I'm starting Sixth Form in a week and don't want to fail my AS exams...
Original post by Summer Rose
^
I'm extremely nervous because I'm starting Sixth Form in a week and don't want to fail my AS exams...

Me too :smile: what are you studying at A level?
Reply 2
Original post by Sacred Ground
Me too :smile: what are you studying at A level?

English Lang and Lit, Biology, Psychology and Sociology :smile: What about you?
Original post by Summer Rose
English Lang and Lit, Biology, Psychology and Sociology :smile: What about you?

Ooh... Essay galore! I'm doing geography, biology and psychology :smile:
With Sociology and Psychology combined prepare to destroy a small Rainforest with all the names and theories you will write down then never use again...
Reply 5
Original post by Share Sharqi
With Sociology and Psychology combined prepare to destroy a small Rainforest with all the names and theories you will write down then never use again...

Yeah ikr I did psychology at GCSE and its really similar to the A-Level :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by Sacred Ground
Ooh... Essay galore! I'm doing geography, biology and psychology :smile:

Oooh thats a good choice, seems interesting :tongue:
Do you have any tips on passing biology for me? Thanks x
Hi
I did Sociology A Level but finished it in 2011 and got an A so hopefully I can help you. I don't think it is unmanageable but to get a good grade you have to work hard from the start. I would make notes as you go and you will end up using a lot of paper. The content is interesting, I did families and education in year 12 and the theory is interesting too. A good tip is that to revise do lots of essays and I gave loads to my teachers and I am pretty sure that ones I have already done came up in the exam. That is how I revised but you will know how you work best. I hope that helps, feel free to ask me any questions. :smile:
I didn't find it especially hard. You can memorize a few ways of formatting the essays and basically use the same intro/conclusion on a lot of them. You end up recycling the same point in a bunch of topics, there are a few ways of getting really quick and easy marks in the long essays too. I'd advise you buy the "Succeed at AS Sociology. The complete revision guide." book if you are doing AQA. I found that far more useful than the textbook.
I wrote this on the sociology page.

Username: JamesJones777
What I like about studying this subject: . I like research methods because I feel that knowing this information will help me in the future. There are some aspects of the education module which I find really interesting, like how gender, ethnicity and social class can affect attainment.
What I dislike about studying this subject:There are not a lot of things I like about sociology. I am predicted an A grade in it but it does not make the subject any less boring. I have no intention of studying social sciences at University level so I don't know when I will be able to use the things I learnt. It was not what I expected at all. If writing essay after essay is for you on topics that are repetitive generally disengaging then sociology is for you. It can be a rewarding subject if you have a genuine interest in society but if you want to study it because it is the only option available to you, (German and History or Economics was not a combination allowed by my school) you will probably prefer another subject.

I got a B at AS, close to an A. I got an A in one module and a D in the other (we were not taught anything about the big essay question and everybody got a D or less) I revised the night before, maybe if I revised a bit more maybe I could have got an A but AS has been a reality check. I'm going to work harder and turn my BBB into AAA :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cheesymeat
Hi
I did Sociology A Level but finished it in 2011 and got an A so hopefully I can help you. I don't think it is unmanageable but to get a good grade you have to work hard from the start. I would make notes as you go and you will end up using a lot of paper. The content is interesting, I did families and education in year 12 and the theory is interesting too. A good tip is that to revise do lots of essays and I gave loads to my teachers and I am pretty sure that ones I have already done came up in the exam. That is how I revised but you will know how you work best. I hope that helps, feel free to ask me any questions. :smile:

Very helpful, I gave you a rep :smile:
Ive given reps to those that are helpful, if I havent already I probably havent seen your comment, but all answers are appreciated :smile: Thank you x
Hi

Hey, did you do OCR Sociology? (G671/G672) Im doing it this year and Im looking for model answers to essay questions. Do you by chance have model answers or know a website that would be helpful to me? I would really appriciate the help.

Fatemah :smile:
Original post by WFatemahW
Hey, did you do OCR Sociology? (G671/G672) Im doing it this year and Im looking for model answers to essay questions. Do you by chance have model answers or know a website that would be helpful to me? I would really appriciate the help.

Fatemah :smile:

Hi, no I did AQA Sociology sorry. I can offer a few tips that helped me, although I did not tend to use websites for model answers. I revised best by doing essays repeatedly at one point I was doing about 2 a night and I eventually built up to doing the same essay a few weeks later and improving on it. It must have been really annoying for my teacher as she marked all these essays that she didn't have to- lol. I had a great teacher but I guess you could look at the mark schemes yourself and mark them. Before starting the question I also made sure that I broke it down into chunks so that I did not miss anything- I know it sounds basic but it really helps when I was trying to focus on the question.
I hope this helps, hope your enjoying the course, if you feel that you need any advice and guidance I will try and answer your questions. Good luck!
Reply 14
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could send me some notes and essay plans via email for Beliefs, research methods and crime and deviance. This will be greatly appreciated if anyone can.
Hi, no I did AQA Sociology sorry. I can offer a few tips that helped me, although I did not tend to use websites for model answers. I revised best by doing essays repeatedly at one point I was doing about 2 a night and I eventually built up to doing the same essay a few weeks later and improving on it. It must have been really annoying for my teacher as she marked all these essays that she didn't have to- lol. I had a great teacher but I guess you could look at the mark schemes yourself and mark them. Before starting the question I also made sure that I broke it down into chunks so that I did not miss anything- I know it sounds basic but it really helps when I was trying to focus on the question.
I hope this helps, hope your enjoying the course, if you feel that you need any advice and guidance I will try and answer your questions. Good luck!

Hey, no worries, yeah I've been using books to help me write model answers out (answering previous questions from past papers and extra questions) and giving them to my teacher to mark...I mean hey even though she might be getting a little frustrated answering all these questions - but oh well, its her job, plus she enjoys marking them and giving feedback which is great...thing is, I need to learn those essays and that's worrying me...I'll just have to keep reading them out and re-writing them...yeah, that's a good idea, I think I'll make notes on all the basic things that one must know to answer the questions - there are repetitions, plus need to learn case studies. Thank you and oh yeah, I'm really enjoying the course :smile:
Original post by WFatemahW
Hey, no worries, yeah I've been using books to help me write model answers out (answering previous questions from past papers and extra questions) and giving them to my teacher to mark...I mean hey even though she might be getting a little frustrated answering all these questions - but oh well, its her job, plus she enjoys marking them and giving feedback which is great...thing is, I need to learn those essays and that's worrying me...I'll just have to keep reading them out and re-writing them...yeah, that's a good idea, I think I'll make notes on all the basic things that one must know to answer the questions - there are repetitions, plus need to learn case studies. Thank you and oh yeah, I'm really enjoying the course :smile:

It sounds like you are revising really well! :smile: I think enjoying the course is half the battle really as it makes you more motivated to revise and find out more on the topic. Sociology was my favourite A Level by far and the one I did best in because of the motivation. Don't worry about bugging the teachers, they want you to do well and if that is how you revise then they should be supporting you and will be pleased at your interest in the topic. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest