The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I'm an Imperial College Physics student! Feel free to ask me questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by elias_123

Hey Gavin, I'm hoping to apply for mech engineering where the requirements are A*A*A, what do you think my chances are? I'm retaking C3 to get an A* and also the physics coursework, what should I do about my M1 also?
I'm taking the whole A level further maths next year (which gives me an edge). I have read a lot of books relating to engines, engineering etc... and I'm getting some work experience also in engineering in september.I'm also planning on taking the physics A2 olympiad. My teachers in my school really like me and will predict me A*A*A or A*A*A*(I'm dropping economics) and will give me a good referee letter, realistically speaking, what do you think are my chances of getting an offer? Thanks for helping the community, and what else could I do to boost my chances?

At my physics interview, I was also questioned about my mechanics, but I had done it a year early which seemed to help me get away with it. If you can show you've improved your mechanics since your exam somehow, that would help immensely. I would expect mechanics questions in your interview. So just practice it a lot. I would even look at STEP I mechanics questions. Expect to be questioned on everything at the interview. You might get lucky and won't be asked small details but you might. So if you're retaking anything, be ready to answer why. Your mathematics seems to be good but an A* would have been very beneficial at this stage. However you can explain in the interview that you are doing all of your further maths modules next year giving you a chance to get two A*s regardless of resitting C3 (as you get A*s in pure mathematics and additional further mathematics still :smile: ). They will ask you why you under performed in economics.

To boost your chances, I would look at ways to show improvement academically over summer (maybe attending or watching lectures) or do some engineering 'experience' day/week or something.

Tbh - I'm not too sure. I think asking an Imperial Mechenger might be of more use.

Sorry.

Good luck though :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Original post by Doofy
What interests you about studying physics as a subject? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The fact that you can see it anywhere and everywhere. The fact that it teaches you to think in a certain way. The fact that it's essentially trying to provide you with a working knowledge of the universe!!! And the fact that physics, in my eyes, is pure and passionate. It's something you do because you love it and are passionate about it.

Tbh - My answer will differ everyday because there are so many reasons why I love physics but I always mean the things I say about it.
Reply 42
Original post by gavss
Yeah,there is a lot of maths in it, though most of it is stuff like differential equations,mechanics (etc) which I try to get familiar with on the spot and apply them. But most of the physics is just mechanics (duh :smile:) so i think I'll enjoy that a lot!

Okay, can I just do further maths to AS then? Plus, from your experiences from A level, the requirement to take further maths in year 13, do I just have to generally get an A in AS maths?
Btw, there isn't a requirement for further maths:

"We require A*AAA or A*A*A in Mathematics, Physics and further relevant A-levels, one of which must be from Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Design and Technology, Biology, Electronics, Computing or Economics."

And all of my subjects are all in that description.

Thanks

Do you mean get an A in AS further maths? Well if you did, it would greatly help in your application. Since most of first year physics is just further maths, getting an A would show you are intellectually capable of getting through first year mathematics.
Reply 43
Original post by Gavin.
Do you mean get an A in AS further maths? Well if you did, it would greatly help in your application. Since most of first year physics is just further maths, getting an A would show you are intellectually capable of getting through first year mathematics.

Yes exactly!, get an A!
To be honest, I learnt the first pure module in the summer, along with my chosen subjects ( i have a lot of free time :colondollar:) and a mechanics module.
Reply 44
Is it really intense? I've heard from a friend that her course is a lot of work in comparison to another friend at another uni (RG uni).
Original post by Gavin.
At my physics interview, I was also questioned about my mechanics, but I had done it a year early which seemed to help me get away with it. If you can show you've improved your mechanics since your exam somehow, that would help immensely. I would expect mechanics questions in your interview. So just practice it a lot. I would even look at STEP I mechanics questions. Expect to be questioned on everything at the interview. You might get lucky and won't be asked small details but you might. So if you're retaking anything, be ready to answer why. Your mathematics seems to be good but an A* would have been very beneficial at this stage. However you can explain in the interview that you are doing all of your further maths modules next year giving you a chance to get two A*s regardless of resitting C3 (as you get A*s in pure mathematics and additional further mathematics still :smile: ). They will ask you why you under performed in economics.

To boost your chances, I would look at ways to show improvement academically over summer (maybe attending or watching lectures) or do some engineering 'experience' day/week or something.

Tbh - I'm not too sure. I think asking an Imperial Mechenger might be of more use.

Sorry.

Good luck though :smile:

Hey Gavin, thanks for the reply! What if I take extra mechanics module, such as M3 M4 and M5, it would count as a 4th subject,
Would it be worth it and give me a big advantage at getting an offer or not?
Original post by Gavin.
Hmmm.... I would email the admissions office and ask. I would think so but double check. It helps that you're doing FM also - they might ask for an A* in that instead.

Okay, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by elias_123
Hey Gavin, thanks for the reply! What if I take extra mechanics module, such as M3 M4 and M5, it would count as a 4th subject,
Would it be worth it and give me a big advantage at getting an offer or not?

Perhaps not a big advantage, but it would definitely help. I would say it's definitely worth it.
Reply 48
Original post by Gavin.
If you didn't do Further Maths at A-level expect that you'll have to work harder than some of the UK students that have done further maths. But you are at no 'disadvantage' as such. A large percentage (if not the majority) of students aren't actually from the UK and in their education system are unlikely to have done Further maths also. So they will also be learning this stuff for the first time. The lecture courses assume no further maths knowledge and they teach you everything you need to know. For those that have done further maths before though, they may find some of the content simply revision rather than learning it new for the first time. The point of first year is to bring everyone up to the same level so that everyone is on equal footing for second year.

Hope to see you in the corridors of Blackett next year!!! :biggrin: You might even be my kid next year :wink: (I'm not a creep - Look up the Mums and Dads scheme at Imperial :P)

Ah, thanks! That's a huge relief! I'm pretty good at maths, (Don't know why i didn't take FM - with hindsight I definitely should have :P ) so hopefully I'll be able to handle the extra work.

Yeah defo! Haha! Don't worry, I'm aware of the parenting scheme (my cousin did something similar at Oxford) so I don't think you're a creep. However, out of context that could sound a bit weird... :P
Hi Gavin, my college denied me the chance to do A-Level Physics because they said I wouldn't be able to cope with it. I was thinking of self teaching my self the course and taking the exams. I'd love to get your opinion on that. Thanks x
Reply 50
Original post by mikaela_pascal
Hi Gavin, my college denied me the chance to do A-Level Physics because they said I wouldn't be able to cope with it. I was thinking of self teaching my self the course and taking the exams. I'd love to get your opinion on that. Thanks x

That would definitely be great!!! Look up on how you're going to do the practical assessments. If you do OCR I might be able to help you out a bit.

If you self-study physics and can prove yourself mathematically, with the addition of reading around physics, you might even stand a better chance in the interview compared to other students! But lemme think about it. I'll get back to you :smile:
Original post by Gavin.
That would definitely be great!!! Look up on how you're going to do the practical assessments. If you do OCR I might be able to help you out a bit.

If you self-study physics and can prove yourself mathematically, with the addition of reading around physics, you might even stand a better chance in the interview compared to other students! But lemme think about it. I'll get back to you :smile:

Okay, thanks so much x
Reply 52
Hello,

do you know if imperial will ask for my UMS marks? if they don't ask, is there a way I can "officially" give it to them so that they consider this?

Are all applicants interviewed? or will applicants with a certain UMS usually be offered a place without interview? Do you think 97.5 UMS is good enough for an offer without interview?

Thanks for your replies
Hey, due to start the Physics with Theoretical Physics MSci and want to keep my part time job while there, so was wondering what nights are best for social events/what nights I should try and keep free? Don't really want to miss out on anything but need the money haha
Reply 54
Hi

This might be a difficult question to answer.

I get the feeling with London universities that quite a high percentage of students commute from parents' houses. What percentage of students on your course would you estimate live at home? And if it is highish, does it affect the social aspect?

Thanks.
Do you guys do joint projects with other departments?
Reply 56
Original post by Some Math Nerd
Do you guys do joint projects with other departments?

It's not common in your first two years. I will find out about 3rd and 4th year and get back to you :smile: (But if I were to guess, I would say it isn't common, but not impossible; I know people that have)
Reply 57
Original post by revrev
Hi

This might be a difficult question to answer.

I get the feeling with London universities that quite a high percentage of students commute from parents' houses. What percentage of students on your course would you estimate live at home? And if it is highish, does it affect the social aspect?

Thanks.

Oh wow, you know that's a really difficult question because except from the guys on your course you also live in halls with, with just sorta assume the rest live in halls also. But if I were to guess, I would say less than 10% (less than 25), more around the 5% mark. The department had 253 students this year I think give or take a few but yeah... Most live in halls, at least for first year, because it really is such a unique, and great experience. Living at home makes it more difficult to get the same experience but it's still possible. (I actually know someone who lives in halls even though his actually house is like a 5-10 minute walk away haha).

To answer your question, it doesn't affect social aspect at all whatsoever (unless you decide on a bff, and they happen to live at home haaha).

Good luck :smile:
Reply 58
I am currently a year 13 student now. I did my GCSE at one of those bad academic performance school. Here are my GCSE results:Maths-A*Physics-AChemistry-ABiology-BEnglish-CArt-CBusiness studies-DRE-EAnother reason for getting low GCSE grades is because English is my second language and took the exams with only 3 years knowledge of English. Actually i was the only one pass the GCSE English Language in my class-that's how bad my school was.I am now doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry,Physics at a better sixth form. I have already gained an A* in Maths with average ums of 95. I got an A in AS chemistry with average ums of 89 and an A in Physics with an average ums of 80. My predicted grades are A* A* A A. I really want to do Chemical engineering at Imperial. The requirement is A*A*A or A*AAA. It also says the majority offers are A* A* A A and GCSE achievements are also considered. Is there any chance for me to get into Imperial?*
Reply 59
Did you not get the grades for KCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending