The Student Room Group

Help/Tips for Economics Revision (AS & A2)

Hello people,

Starting A2 Economics and before i start revising i just wanted to test other people's method and see how i get on with it, i know every person has their own technique and i have one too, but i just want to change up a little and see how i get on with other methods. Currently the method i use is the following;
- Read the book (Alain Anderton: Economics AQA 5th edition)
- Make lots of detailed and explained notes.
- Read them over and over again until i get the concept
- Ask questions to myself about the topic and answer them, if i can i move on if i can't i revise and see where i'm missing the point.

Well, it did work for me for AS unit 1 and not so for unit 2 as the last one was a bit more challenging for me to put my technique in work, but thats just me..

Looking forward to see and discuss the revision technique that has worked for you. :smile:
Reply 1
Practise past papers, especially 25 mark questions, as some people find it difficult to grasp how to write them (I did lol!)
Also, keep up to date with current economic affairs, like the Economist and Financial Times, as using real life examples can get you extra marks.
:smile:
From someone who got very high marks in A level econ, use the tutor2u website and booklets! They give you all the knowledge and resources you need for the exam, Their guides may be too detailed as they go into context and talk about many things which have actually happened in the world over these past few years but the way I see it the more you know about economics (theory and context) the better you will do. Also practice makes perfect so practice as many past paper questions as you can, try to get full marks in all of the non-25 markers as they are fairly easy if you know your content which allows you to have some room for error in the essay, which you can still easily get 15-20 marks on if you practice/know the exam technique for it.

Also as you are doing aqa, unit 2 and unit 4 are almost identical in my opinion, so even if you didn't do well this year I would recommend retaking it next year because you won't need to revise for it as much as you did this year (as you would have already covered the content by going through unit 4).
Reply 3
Original post by Mav455
Practise past papers, especially 25 mark questions, as some people find it difficult to grasp how to write them (I did lol!)
Also, keep up to date with current economic affairs, like the Economist and Financial Times, as using real life examples can get you extra marks.
:smile:

Thanks for the advice! Will definitely follow this advice as it was very useful for AS exams. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TerribleTej
From someone who got very high marks in A level econ, use the tutor2u website and booklets! They give you all the knowledge and resources you need for the exam, Their guides may be too detailed as they go into context and talk about many things which have actually happened in the world over these past few years but the way I see it the more you know about economics (theory and context) the better you will do. Also practice makes perfect so practice as many past paper questions as you can, try to get full marks in all of the non-25 markers as they are fairly easy if you know your content which allows you to have some room for error in the essay, which you can still easily get 15-20 marks on if you practice/know the exam technique for it.

Also as you are doing aqa, unit 2 and unit 4 are almost identical in my opinion, so even if you didn't do well this year I would recommend retaking it next year because you won't need to revise for it as much as you did this year (as you would have already covered the content by going through unit 4).

Cheers buddy, i actually went to a seminar for Tutor2u and also have some booklets, however did not have much use of it so i guess i will follow your advice for A2. :biggrin:

So if i for example read something on Econ current affairs and a similar scenario comes in the exam and if i include in part of my essay the real life example will i get extra marks? I did not use them in AS :mad:
Original post by Rian7
Cheers buddy, i actually went to a seminar for Tutor2u and also have some booklets, however did not have much use of it so i guess i will follow your advice for A2. :biggrin:

So if i for example read something on Econ current affairs and a similar scenario comes in the exam and if i include in part of my essay the real life example will i get extra marks? I did not use them in AS :mad:

Of course, but you need to use it as part of your evaluation, as that very real-world situation can be used to say whether or not you think that a particular idea/policy may or may not work.
Reply 6
Of course, but you need to use it as part of your evaluation, as that very real-world situation can be used to say whether or not you think that a particular idea/policy may or may not work.

Oh right, so right before the judgement i can introduce the real life situation, so it will allow me to give a valid and strong conclusion. :colone:

Any tips on how can i bring the tutor2u booklet into my revision? I mean it has a LOT of info but not all is relevant.. And the ones that are, they're mainly for knowledge purposes not theoretical which allows me to put into a essay. If you know what i mean :frown:
Original post by Rian7
Oh right, so right before the judgement i can introduce the real life situation, so it will allow me to give a valid and strong conclusion. :colone:

Any tips on how can i bring the tutor2u booklet into my revision? I mean it has a LOT of info but not all is relevant.. And the ones that are, they're mainly for knowledge purposes not theoretical which allows me to put into a essay. If you know what i mean :frown:

yeah thats exactly what I mean (in relation to the first paragraph)

The only way you can do well in A level economics is if you learn to enjoy economics, not just the book work/theory but also the outside world (i.e. news etc...) then remembering content in big fat books such as the one tutor2u provide will be fairly simple. Alternatively it is possible to remember everything if you keep reading those books over the over again, although a lot of the stuff in those books is not relevant in every case, it can be if an exam question on a certain topic comes up. So in essence, you should try and bring everything into your revision, but don't freak out here, the theory is still much more important as its how you get most the marks in the exam paper - but for the essay the theory and real-world knowledge are equally important in my opinion, but if it helps, focus on perfecting the theory first, especially for macro where there isn't much to remember at all.
Reply 8
yeah thats exactly what I mean (in relation to the first paragraph)

The only way you can do well in A level economics is if you learn to enjoy economics, not just the book work/theory but also the outside world (i.e. news etc...) then remembering content in big fat books such as the one tutor2u provide will be fairly simple. Alternatively it is possible to remember everything if you keep reading those books over the over again, although a lot of the stuff in those books is not relevant in every case, it can be if an exam question on a certain topic comes up. So in essence, you should try and bring everything into your revision, but don't freak out here, the theory is still much more important as its how you get most the marks in the exam paper - but for the essay the theory and real-world knowledge are equally important in my opinion, but if it helps, focus on perfecting the theory first, especially for macro where there isn't much to remember at all.

Thanks for the tips! (Y)
Will follow and see what happens although it should be a good result :tongue:
Hey.. I was in CIE A level so I dont really about your A level.. But Ill suggest you should just go through the economic headlines and have like a simple idea about your economy's policies and stuff.. Again I don't really know about AQA.. BUt well I thought Ill try! :P
Reply 10
Original post by ChemPrince
Hey.. I was in CIE A level so I dont really about your A level.. But Ill suggest you should just go through the economic headlines and have like a simple idea about your economy's policies and stuff.. Again I don't really know about AQA.. BUt well I thought Ill try! :P

Hey :smile:
Thanks for the tip, that's what i actually thought to do.. Basically to just to know a little about the economy and what's going on day to day in the economy.
If you feel that you are too occupied to research about the economy in detail.. Start by at least reading the headlines and little brief stuff.. Eventually you'll build up your interest!
Reply 12
Original post by ChemPrince
If you feel that you are too occupied to research about the economy in detail.. Start by at least reading the headlines and little brief stuff.. Eventually you'll build up your interest!

Financial times is the way i guess :P
I'm doing economics and business at AS but I'm going to be dropping business studies at the end of AS is that fine? Or it will it be bad when applying for uni?
Reply 14
Original post by Rian7

What booklet are you talking about? It sounds very interesting. Could you please share it with me (if it is in a digital form)?. I think you should definitely use it as it probably helps you to impress examiners and boost your grades in long essays.

The following are my revision kind of methods.
- read notes taken from class
- learn off the definitions/ key terms
- learn off diagrams

I also find quizzing myself very helpful. If I cannot explain, for example price discrimination to myself clearly, I will keep revise it until I grasp it.
Reply 15
Original post by zumosu
What booklet are you talking about? It sounds very interesting. Could you please share it with me (if it is in a digital form)?. I think you should definitely use it as it probably helps you to impress examiners and boost your grades in long essays.

The following are my revision kind of methods.
- read notes taken from class
- learn off the definitions/ key terms
- learn off diagrams

I also find quizzing myself very helpful. If I cannot explain, for example price discrimination to myself clearly, I will keep revise it until I grasp it.

Our Econ classes went to a trip in Kensington VUE Cinema where there was a Tutor2u seminar and they gave us two booklets which has a ton of info about Unit 1 and 2 for AS and 3,4 for A2.. We paid £20 each for that..
Reply 16
Original post by Rian7
Our Econ classes went to a trip in Kensington VUE Cinema where there was a Tutor2u seminar and they gave us two booklets which has a ton of info about Unit 1 and 2 for AS and 3,4 for A2.. We paid £20 each for that..

Very well. You're lucky then! Hope you find Economics interesting and read more around the subject.:biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by zumosu
Very well. You're lucky then! Hope you find Economics interesting and read more around the subject.:biggrin:

You surely will, make sure you're up to date with whats happening and are ahead of the syllabus.. + lots of practice and A/B is guaranteed..
This is a really helpful thread! Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest