The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ok basically I messed up my ukcat big time. Its not my first sitting and btw am a graduate.
Am absolutely confused I don't even know if I should apply to medicine or not. It seems pointless due to my low score...although its all I ever wanted to do. But it just doesn't seem to be working. I have set ukcat gamsat...no look. I seem to be rubbish ar admission tests but I have alot if experience in the health care and charity...but this doesn't seem to matter anymore. ..

so should I or should I not apply??
Original post by Apply2Medicine
If you registered for the webinar you should be able to access the archives here:
VR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/643578430
AR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/530715446

Hi! So sorry, the AR webinar still won't play :frown: is there any way I could download the file?
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place, however, I have a subscription for the UKCAT Apply 2 Medicine question bank, and i wondering if there is any way of doing the questions without the ones that you have already done reappearing?

I'm currently having an issue of having to click past all the ones i have done in order to reach new questions which is extremely inconvenient!

Thanks
Original post by Apply2Medicine
If you registered for the webinar you should be able to access the archives here:
VR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/643578430
AR - https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/530715446

I tried these links but it still won't let me play even though I signed up again, what should I do?
Thanks for the advice on the decision analysis. It's really helped boost my score in mocks.

I've read the advice on the quantitate reasoning but there seems to be nothing on how to speed up. This is something that I've tried but I don't seem to be able to think fast enough! I either take the time to answer the questions and get them right but only get half way through or just guestimate and get none right!

I'd appreciate any advice.
I am really not sure about my UKCAT score:
VR: 610
QR: 830
AR: 690
DA: 570
SJT BAND 1
My total score is 2700 and my average is 675
I have no idea whether this is good enough for anywhere, could anyone suggest universities where this UKCAT is accepted because I'm really worried this will mean I can't study medicine and I really don't want to take a gap year
Natalierm2707 that's a good score. Have a look on the university websites they will give you more information. Alternatively you can buy a book that will tell you which scores are generally accepted.

I'm really struggling with the QR section. I can do the maths for the questions but I cant do it any where near quick enough. I only seem to get about a third of the way through the questions. I'm good with numbers but I don't understand how I'm supposed to for example add two sets of data find their average and then calculate the % increase all in 30 seconds or so?

People that have done well on this section what did you do? Do you guestimate most of the answers? I'm trying to use answers to orders of magnitude but I don't see many opportunities for this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi everyone! So I've just started my A Levels and I hope to get into medicine.

I know that you do not need to start preparing for the UKCAT now as I currently have 10 months left but I would like to purchase my books and the right guides to help me practice a little bit whenever I can!

So could anyone help me by suggesting some good ways of how I can familiarise myself with the UKCAT and what books I can buy?

Also, I've heard many people talk about the 600q book but I looked at the reviews online on Amazon and each one of them are poor reviews.

Everything will be appreciated. Thank you :smile:
Original post by interwebme
Natalierm2707 that's a good score. Have a look on the university websites they will give you more information. Alternatively you can buy a book that will tell you which scores are generally accepted.

I'm really struggling with the QR section. I can do the maths for the questions but I cant do it any where near quick enough. I only seem to get about a third of the way through the questions. I'm good with numbers but I don't understand how I'm supposed to for example add two sets of data find their average and then calculate the % increase all in 30 seconds or so?

People that have done well on this section what did you do? Do you guestimate most of the answers? I'm trying to use answers to orders of magnitude but I don't see many opportunities for this.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in the same position as you i just take too long to calculate the answers!! Right now I'm just trying different methods to improve my speed. For example, once you find the average of a set of data, you can glance at the options/answers and rule out option B or option A as they don't seem to fit with your calculations. It does save time but you can easily get it wrong - i am but improving.
Original post by onepiece#1
I'm in the same position as you i just take too long to calculate the answers!! Right now I'm just trying different methods to improve my speed. For example, once you find the average of a set of data, you can glance at the options/answers and rule out option B or option A as they don't seem to fit with your calculations. It does save time but you can easily get it wrong - i am but improving.

I sat the exam two days ago and somehow managed an average of 823. I got 860 on the QR. What I did to improve my speed was set a timer to 1 minute then do a load of questions until I was getting 95% correct then reduce the time to say 50 seconds and repeat until I got it down to the time I needed for the exam. This forced me to learn techniques like looking at a set of data and estimating the average based on very generalised rounding before looking at the answers.

600 UKCAT questions book and the apply2medicine online questions were both useful for this. Some of the apply2medicine questions have mistakes in them I found about 5 in 150 on the QR section of their site.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by interwebme
I sat the exam two days ago and somehow managed an average of 823. I got 860 on the QR. What I did to improve my speed was set a timer to 1 minute then do a load of questions until I was getting 95% correct then reduce the time to say 50 seconds and repeat until I got it down to the time I needed for the exam. This forced me to learn techniques like looking at a set of data and estimating the average based on very generalised rounding before looking at the answers.

600 UKCAT questions book and the apply2medicine online questions were both useful for this. Some of the apply2medicine questions have mistakes in them I found about 5 in 150 on the QR section of their site.

Good luck! :smile:

823 avg :eek: congrats. I'll take your advise onboard. How long was your preparation? I only have 2 weeks a bit left.
Original post by onepiece#1
823 avg :eek: congrats. I'll take your advise onboard. How long was your preparation? I only have 2 weeks a bit left.

I probably did about 40 hours total. I spread it over 5 weeks.
Hi!

what would you suggest are the best ways to prepare for the UKCAT? do you recommend any book/course?

Thank you!!
Reply 113
So I'm doing my ukcat in COUPLE OF DAYS and I'm getting worse by the minute -none of my calculations are going right and my verbal reasoning is horrifying... I started revising from the 1250 book from the beginning of the holidays and started using the online sources (don't have medify tho) for at least 2 weeks now. I don't get it rather than getting better I'm failing. I'm getting really worried -worked so hard for my As and I'll so disappointed if I don't get 600 average from my ukcat. What do I do? any tricks you guys have to get better in maths bit, please tell me ps: last mock I did I got a average of 507, like wut?

Latest

Trending

Trending