The Student Room Group

AAA or ABBB (AS)

Which one would you rather have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
AAA, and avoid applying to universities that need a 4th AS.
Original post by Les Les
Which one would you rather have?

My results were ABBB but I'd prefer more A's to be honest(I was predicted straight A's)
AAA - why is this even a question! :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by acireric
AAA, and avoid applying to universities that need a 4th AS.

True only UCL requires that though...
Reply 5
Original post by thatitootoo
AAA - why is this even a question! :wink:

It's the idea of having an extra AS but getting ABBB. Why wouldn't you prefer abbb
Reply 6
Original post by Les Les
True only UCL requires that though...

And some Warwick courses, they occasionally ask for AAAc
Reply 7
Original post by Skill Twix
My results were ABBB but I'd prefer more A's to be honest(I was predicted straight A's)

Would've you have preferred aaa?
That's a good question. ABBB are a good set of results that can still result in A*A*A* with a lot of hard work at A2 and universities need to see a 4th AS to know that you can cope, so definitely the latter.
Reply 9
And some Warwick courses, they occasionally ask for AAAc

Yeah and one could pick up a 4th as in 2nd yr. would doing this satisfy their requirement of a pass in a 4th as? Or do you need to do the as in the first yr?
AAA and then take an additional AS while doing A2s... that would satisfy the UCL requirement!
Reply 11
Original post by tanyapotter
That's a good question. ABBB are a good set of results that can still result in A*A*A* with a lot of hard work at A2 and universities need to see a 4th AS to know that you can cope, so definitely the latter.

What about doing the 4th as in the 2nd year? Would this satisfy universities requirement asking for a pass in a 4th as implying one passes it?
Original post by Les Les
It's the idea of having an extra AS but getting ABBB. Why wouldn't you prefer abbb

I'd avoid applying to Unis that require an additional AS. Besides, aren't AS-levels basically worthless these days? With the reforms 'n all
Reply 13
Original post by colourtheory
AAA and then take an additional AS while doing A2s... that would satisfy the UCL requirement!

You sure?
Original post by Les Les
Yeah and one could pick up a 4th as in 2nd yr. would doing this satisfy their requirement of a pass in a 4th as? Or do you need to do the as in the first yr?

I am not sure about it but I assume that it is alright as long as everything's being taken within the two-year period, although I suspect that they prefer it to be taken in the first yr as it shows that you were capable of handling and passing 4 subjects. You can always e-mail the admissions about it.

Otherwise, having AAA in AS might lead to an AAA or AAB prediction in A2, which is good.
Original post by Les Les
You sure?

Yup, they require a 4th AS upon entry, nothing says that they require you to have 4 AS levels to apply. I applied to UCL last year and I was never under the impression that I had to have 4 AS levels in order to apply (even though I did at the time). Similarly, they want A*AA for History, but that doesn't mean you have to have A*AA at the time of application, just that you are predicted to achieve the grades... it's the same for the AS; as long as you are predicted to pass you'll be fine.
I am not sure about it but I assume that it is alright as long as everything's being taken within the two-year period, although I suspect that they prefer it to be taken in the first yr as it shows that you were capable of handling and passing 4 subjects. You can always e-mail the admissions about it.

Otherwise, having AAA in AS might lead to an AAA or AAB prediction in A2, which is good.

It's the same thing! Taking an additional AS while doing 3 A2s clearly shows that you can balance a hefty work load!
AAA, and if you apply to unis that want a fourth AS just take an extra one in your final year. There's less pressure on you to get AAA in your A levels with those grades as you'd only need Bs/Cs in A2 (depending on how high/low the As were) so you can still finish with AAA and a decent AS level.

I took 4 AS levels but one was Critical Thinking (school made us) UCL said it didn't count so I took Psychology AS in my A2 year. My offer was AAA with a 'pass' in the AS level. As long as you take another AS before you start you're fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by colourtheory
It's the same thing! Taking an additional AS while doing 3 A2s clearly shows that you can balance a hefty work load!

Right, but it is worth mentioning in either the reference or personal statement that "I will be taking ______ at AS along with my A2s"
Original post by thatitootoo
I'd avoid applying to Unis that require an additional AS. Besides, aren't AS-levels basically worthless these days? With the reforms 'n all

I kinda agree. GCSEs go on the CV along with A-Levels but I haven't ever seen a CV where someone has listed their fourth AS. Plus the government have essentially devalued them as a stepping stone to full A-Levels, hence your A2s take precedent on application forms etc.

Quick Reply

Latest