The Student Room Group

English lit gcse disappointing mark

Throughout the course of English lit gcse (AQA) I was getting high A* - I was getting 90% plus, and I got 39/40 in my coursework. Then, in the exams, I got an A in unit one and then a B in unit 2, giving an A overall (7 ums of an A*). I got a remark and the mark didn't change. I strongly believe that what I wrote in the exam was worth a lot more than what I got, especially the B, which I definitely don't beleive I got.
I just want to know what options, if any, I have to try and make it an A* and if a trait is an option, whether it would be worth it, as in now in sixth form studying for my a levels.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and I thank you even more if you reply.
Reply 1
I have also handed my English Lit for a remark and it was 3 UMS off an A* and I haven't yet received a response.
Without getting an A* shouldn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage at A Level, as you know what you're capable of.
Maybe you could ask for the script back and get a second opinion off your English teacher.
I'm sure the mark scheme is final and your grade reflects your work/piece you wrote. If you aren't able to retain your script, why not resit the exam next year to boost your grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Sorry you think that's disappointing?

That's really good mark. What are you studying for at A Level? Is it relevant to what you want to do in life?
Reply 3
Original post by MorganA07
Sorry you think that's disappointing?

That's really good mark. What are you studying for at A Level? Is it relevant to what you want to do in life?

Sorry about sounding a bit pretentious, but as I've said i got solid A* the whole way through year 11 and I go to a high achieving school, so for me personally, the result is a bit disappointing.
And I'm not studying it at a level, but I want to do medicine, so it isn't directly relevant no, but it could effect me if I apply to Oxbridge or other good universities (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).
Reply 4
Original post by as421
I have also handed my English Lit for a remark and it was 3 UMS off an A* and I haven't yet received a response.
Without getting an A* shouldn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage at A Level, as you know what you're capable of.
Maybe you could ask for the script back and get a second opinion off your English teacher.
I'm sure the mark scheme is final and your grade reflects your work/piece you wrote. If you aren't able to retain your script, why not resit the exam next year to boost your grade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think resitting would put strain on my a levels studies? And good luck in your remark!
Reply 5
Original post by Boople
Do you think resitting would put strain on my a levels studies? And good luck in your remark!

Thank you! I got a an economics remark and it went down instead of up which was really disappointing.
It shouldn't put too much strain on your A levels - definitely ask your English teachers opinion on what you should do and also their help in your revision eg work sheets/character profiles etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending