The Student Room Group

Already have an Equivalent Level Qualification?

I've already completed a HND Business with Management course in the past and recently also completed a HNC Physics course.

I applied for a BSc Computing course at the University of London a couple of months ago and was accepted onto the course. I then applied for Student Finance and they agreed to give me a Tuition Fee Loan for the full amount. All fine and dandy at this stage.

Enrolment opens and I try to enrol but can't say that my fees will be paid via a Tuition Fee Loan/SLC. Send e-mail to Registry and they finally just got back to me - I'm not entitled to Student Finance because I have an Equivalent Level Qualification (Apparently the HND is an ELQ to the BSc I want to study).

Is that right? How come the SLC has already approved my application for a loan? What would you advise doing? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by AdamX1

Is that right? How come the SLC has already approved my application for a loan? What would you advise doing? Any help would be appreciated.

The end conclusion is correct unfortunately. How you arrived there is guesswork. The two scenarios I can think of are 1) SF got your original assessment wrong (not unknown) or b) as you didn't realise the significance of your previous qualifications, you may not have mentioned them on your SF application.

Either way, I'm afraid you're stuck. Wish it was better news.
Reply 2
Just an update for anyone else stuck in this situation now or in the future.

I replied to Registry and told them that SLC had already approved my application for funding and I won't have to apply later. They removed the ELQ tag but now I have doubts as to whether I will actually receive the funding because of what Klix said above. I'll be phoning the SLC later to find out whether everything is correct (My HND was paid for via Student Finance anyway so they'll have been able to see it on my record when I applied for this degree)
Reply 3
Last update.

Phoned SLC. They checked through my application and said that everything is fine. Phoned another department and verified that it is all correct. The poor guy was confused as to why this is even an issue because everything has been approved.

Just goes to show that Admin departments in Uni's have some people employed there that don't have a clue. Wonder why they even have a job when far more intelligent people could have that job instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending