The Student Room Group

Including gap year plans in personal statement

I'm applying to uni this year while I'm on my gap year and I was wondering, should include my plans for the year in my personal statement? The only thing I'll be doing is working and volunteering. Should I include why I'm working during my gap year (i.e to save money for uni)?
You don't need to devote a lot of space to what you're doing if it isn't subject relevant.

The key is to avoid too many "will be" and "hope to be" statements about what you MIGHT do and instead have some definite, positive statements about how you'll use the time (ie "I hope to find employment" = bad, "I have secured a placement" = good)
Original post by LostInStereo123
I'm applying to uni this year while I'm on my gap year and I was wondering, should include my plans for the year in my personal statement? The only thing I'll be doing is working and volunteering. Should I include why I'm working during my gap year (i.e to save money for uni)?

I'm in the same situation, i'm gonna try and sort out the plans so for example placements and volunteering and any thing else before submitting the UCAS application so it shows you are doing it, not planning to.
Original post by PQ
You don't need to devote a lot of space to what you're doing if it isn't subject relevant.

The key is to avoid too many "will be" and "hope to be" statements about what you MIGHT do and instead have some definite, positive statements about how you'll use the time (ie "I hope to find employment" = bad, "I have secured a placement" = good)

Thank you. Do I need to include why I'm working?

Original post by ThePanoramicGame
I'm in the same situation, i'm gonna try and sort out the plans so for example placements and volunteering and any thing else before submitting the UCAS application so it shows you are doing it, not planning to.

Oh right, I've already got my work and volunteering stuff sorted. Are you retaking any exams or are you just working/volunteering during your gap year? Good luck with your application!
Oh right, I've already got my work and volunteering stuff sorted. Are you retaking any exams or are you just working/volunteering during your gap year? Good luck with your application!

Retaking some exams as well as working/volunteering. Thanks, good luck yourself - need to start on my application soon although im keeping most parts of my PS just updating and adding couple of stuff.
Original post by ThePanoramicGame
Retaking some exams as well as working/volunteering. Thanks, good luck yourself - need to start on my application soon although im keeping most parts of my PS just updating and adding couple of stuff.

I'm in the exact same position. I'm gonna aim to send my application within the next couple of weeks.
I'm in the exact same position. I'm gonna aim to send my application within the next couple of weeks.

Yeah, if i can sort everything out by then preferably looking at sending it off before mid October. Good to just get it out the way tbh
They will see that your grades are pending, so retakes don't need to be mentioned/should only be mentioned by your referee. People take gap years for all sorts of reasons, so the reason isn't really important
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

But what if you haven't secured a place yet... do you lie about it? :s-smilie:
Original post by Meduza
But what if you haven't secured a place yet... do you lie about it? :s-smilie:

No - if you haven't secured a place yet then you should not talk about that in your PS.

The deadline for most applications is not for another 3 months (halfway through a gap year). It is better to apply later with something positive to say about your gap year than to apply early with no indication of what you'll be doing for the next year.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
No - if you haven't secured a place yet then you should not talk about that in your PS.

The deadline for most applications is not for another 3 months (halfway through a gap year). It is better to apply later with something positive to say about your gap year than to apply early with no indication of what you'll be doing for the next year.

Also, I don't want the unis to think I copied my PS from another one so when applying on UCAS again should I tick the box which asks if I've applied again and include my old UCAS ID? I don't want the unis to check my received grades though as i'm retaking a module and I want to reapply to some of same unis I've applied to originally :/
Original post by Meduza
Also, I don't want the unis to think I copied my PS from another one so when applying on UCAS again should I tick the box which asks if I've applied again and include my old UCAS ID? I don't want the unis to check my received grades though as i'm retaking a module and I want to reapply to some of same unis I've applied to originally :/

Yes you should tick the box and supply your UCAS ID. Otherwise your PS will likely get flagged for plagiarism.

What you're proposing about withholding your results is a terrible idea. If your grades as they stand have been certified (ie you got an "overall grade" on your results slip in August) then you MUST declare them as they stand.

You then also enter in a second instance of the A level that you're retaking a module in as Pending in August 2015 (if you're resitting as an external candidate then you'll need to add in your exam centre as a place of PART TIME study for the months of the exams).

Trying to withhold information is considered a fraudulent application - if uncovered (and it is very likely to be uncovered) then you risk your application being cancelled.

Universities could not give a crap generally about applicants resitting a module or two to bump up their grades. What they DO take seriously are applicants who lie to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending