The Student Room Group

What will universities look at when we no longer have AS grades?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by German123
I though so...that is so unfair for the current year 11s]mad

Next year, as in the current year 11's.:redface:
will the changes affect me? i'm im year 12 and have just started my as levels; will my year still be able to do resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
will the changes affect me? i'm im year 12 and have just started my as levels; will my year still be able to do resits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh ur fine
Original post by tanyapotter

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think your year is safe and you will be able to resit one As module for each subject preferably the one you got the lowest mark and grade on.

Edit: Unless you completely fail all of your As exams and would want to start from scratch in another sixthform or college i think you will be affected.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Next year, as in the current year 11's.:redface:

:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Alex347_
They are absolutely not more important 'NOW' apart from in a very narrow set of subjects or universities. But I do agree that there'll be an expansion of institutional and external admissions tests.

I'm only talking about a few courses which absolutely require another non A level test as part of the offer. e.g. a high ukcat grade and good as grades is better than average ukcat and very good as levels.

Basically I only compared to the narrow sets of subjects and unis you referred to cos it will be stupid to compare to unis with no tests currently.
And I hope there are more admission tests cos they show a few skills that will really help in uni like STEP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh the years in the interim have it the worst, as we are still stuck with a modular system that has been shoehorned into a linear one. All of our qualifications are still split into modules, yet we still do them all at the same time. Those sitting the new qualification will have more pressure to succeed, yes, but fewer exams in which they have to deliver that performance.

I have a ridiculous number of exams this year, enough to rival my GCSE total - and that was in the neighbourhood of ~23.
Original post by Alex347_
If you enter Sixth Form in September 2015 then AS Levels are not part of the A Level qualification.

Okay, this is getting stupid now. I read on the exam board about the changes to 2015 a levels and they say similar to what you're saying, however we do all the 4 AS exams in year 12 and then 3 A2 exams in year 13, but the AS no longer means anything towards your A2 grades. So apparently we get more qualifications instead of only sitting 1 AS in year 12.
Who's right here? :confused:
I imagine it will just become like the IB where universities consider the predicted grades and GCSEs of the candidate. You must also remember that Personal Statements and references also make up part of the final verdict so I'm assuming more attention will be placed on these aspects. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
On 22 January 2013, the Secretary of State wrote to Ofqual to outline changes to A level structure from September 2015.
The changes mean that the new A level will be linear, with all assessment at the end of two years of study. Although the AS level will be retained, it will be redesigned as a high quality stand-alone qualification as opposed to a means of progression to A2.
The Secretary of State also confirmed plans for leading universities to be more closely involved in developing the content of the new A levels, starting with those subjects which are most commonly required for undergraduate study - maths and further maths; English (literature); physics; biology; chemistry; geography; history and languages (modern and classical).
The first of the new A levels will be introduced for teaching in schools from September 2015, with first exams being sat in 2017

^^^Someone explain? It says the first exams of sixth form starting in 2015 will be in 2017, but it says AS will be a stand-alone qualification. How can we do our AS without sitting them? :angry::confused:
Reply 50
Wait I..

Huh.

Wut.

uh.

I don't even..
I don't know but I am so glad that this won't be the case for me, as my GCSEs are not up to standard for where I'm applying to because I didn't work for them. ><
Original post by ImagineCats
On 22 January 2013, the Secretary of State wrote to Ofqual to outline changes to A level structure from September 2015.
The changes mean that the new A level will be linear, with all assessment at the end of two years of study. Although the AS level will be retained, it will be redesigned as a high quality stand-alone qualification as opposed to a means of progression to A2.
The Secretary of State also confirmed plans for leading universities to be more closely involved in developing the content of the new A levels, starting with those subjects which are most commonly required for undergraduate study - maths and further maths; English (literature); physics; biology; chemistry; geography; history and languages (modern and classical).
The first of the new A levels will be introduced for teaching in schools from September 2015, with first exams being sat in 2017

^^^Someone explain? It says the first exams of sixth form starting in 2015 will be in 2017, but it says AS will be a stand-alone qualification. How can we do our AS without sitting them? :angry::confused:

The first full A level exams for the new syllabus will be 2017.
There will be AS exams for these subjects in 2016. As much as possible, examiners are designing a syllabus where the AS and first year A level content are coteachable. A school has the option to allow students to sit the AS though the result doesn't count towards the final A level grade.

If candidates don't do AS exams I guarantee schools will still do end of year progress exams that will enable them to predict their final A level grade exactly as they do now.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
XD Wow this thread exploded
Yeah, I heard about it at school
my physics teacher likes to threaten us by telling us our GCSEs actually count
get revising, year 11s. your gcses count now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
The first full A level exams for the new syllabus will be 2017.
There will be AS exams for these subjects in 2016. As much as possible, examiners are designing a syllabus where the AS and first year A level content are coteachable. A school has the option to allow students to sit the AS though the result doesn't count towards the final A level grade.

If candidates don't do AS exams I guarantee schools will still do end of year progress exams that will enable them to predict their final A level grade exactly as they do now.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh okay. So we don't sit any exams in year 12? I'm quite slow getting this aha
Original post by ImagineCats
Oooh okay. So we don't sit any exams in year 12? I'm quite slow getting this aha

I think I said exactly the opposite
You may still sit AS exams for which you would receive an AS QUALIFICATION. whether this would be your choice or a decision taken by the school is unclear. If not you will definitely sit end of year 12 progress exams.
Note also that not all subjects are changed from first teaching in 2015, for some it's 2016 and others in 2017. So it depends on which subjects you choose for A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by vd12345
I'm doing RS As in year 11.. So it won't count? Wtf

You sure it wont count?
I was thinking of doing an AS in year 11, I have a few more months to decide....
Predicted grades, scholarships, GCSE results, other academic awards, admissions tests. Unfortunately I also think they'll look more at which school you went to, as well, which can only lead to more elitism.
Original post by gdunne42
I think I said exactly the opposite
You may still sit AS exams for which you would receive an AS QUALIFICATION. whether this would be your choice or a decision taken by the school is unclear. If not you will definitely sit end of year 12 progress exams.
Note also that not all subjects are changed from first teaching in 2015, for some it's 2016 and others in 2017. So it depends on which subjects you choose for A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for helping!

Quick Reply

Latest