The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nedum Onuoha
I don't see that as a negative. In terms of entertainment maybe, but in terms of a good team no. The aim is to get the most points and holding out for the points is often the best way to do that.

0-0 at home vs Birmingham when the title was already won?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3655241.stm

A team that had already won the league but didn't have the unbeaten record to keep would have attacked more. I don't remember these games though so what do I know.

That was the next game after winning the title, the players were no doubt hungover as ****. From the match report, we didnt set up negatively at all, we were just sloppy. Big difference.

Dont remember anything about that game other than Keown getting his appearance and basically feeling like Arsenal would win the next 5 PLs easily. :redface:

As I say it's the usual Adrian Durham hate campaign that people just copy. If he came out and said that Wenger funded the Emirates stadium selling gear on Highbury corner, then people would start repeating it as fact sooner or later.
Reply 401
Original post by Nedum Onuoha
I don't see that as a negative. In terms of entertainment maybe, but in terms of a good team no. The aim is to get the most points and holding out for the points is often the best way to do that.

0-0 at home vs Birmingham when the title was already won?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3655241.stm

A team that had already won the league but didn't have the unbeaten record to keep would have attacked more. I don't remember these games though so what do I know.

Why do people like talking about things they have no clue about? We absolutely dominated bham in this game and they game for a draw. We attacked. They parked the bus much better than Chelsea. This was the first game I remember seeing the tactic deployed against us and pretty much was the nascent to people using it against arsenal. Saying we played to not lose is like saying Liverpool played to not lose against Chelsea at Anfield last season. If we were playing for a draw in this game, keown would've come on much earlier for DB10.

About playing to not lose at the end, a few of the end of the season draw were due to conceding late goals- spurs and united come to mind.

And, who was it that scored the winning goal against Leicester?

-----

So Kroenke has started leaching money out of the club. Very worrying times ahead. I was one that didn't think he'd do this. Well **** you Stan. At least it shows that this cash reserve thing is most likely a parody and isn't available to be spent on improving the squad. It's use seems to be for the balance sheet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Win this and we open up a decent 5 point gap on Liverpool.
Remember when some of our fans were crying that we didnt sign Balotelli...do you still feel the same way...:tongue:
Original post by Pete_91
Win this and we open up a decent 5 point gap on Liverpool.

does not sound to much, but at this point its pretty significant..

12 out of 18 is CL form, not title winning, but spot on for 4th or 3rd place..

7 from 18 though, is bottom half of the table form...
Original post by deborarosa
Remember when some of our fans were crying that we didnt sign Balotelli...do you still feel the same way...:tongue:

I was one of those who wanted him.. and honestly at the moment It seems I was very wrong.

But time will tell, welbeck only has his first goal for us at the moment, so its far to early to say we got the better deal..
Reply 406
The "Invincibles" are the most overrated team of the last 10-15 years. I wouldn't even put them in my top 5 of the best teams from that period of time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419

-----

So Kroenke has started leaching money out of the club. Very worrying times ahead. I was one that didn't think he'd do this. Well **** you Stan. At least it shows that this cash reserve thing is most likely a parody and isn't available to be spent on improving the squad. It's use seems to be for the balance sheet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well since Kronke owns Arsenal, it's technically 'his' money in any case. If he took £100m out of the club in cash, then the value of his shares would decrease by the same amount pretty much.

Of course its not good for the club to be drained of cash, but from Kronke's perspective, he's not any richer. If he wants to get paid, he should just sell shares ultimately as it's basically the same thing in terms of his back pocket.
Original post by trrr
The Invincibles are the most overrated team of the last 10-15 years. I wouldn't even put them in my top 5 of the best teams from that period of time.

In terms of Europe they are hard to gauge (since they didn't get past the 1/4 finals) but domestically there are only two possible competitors: Chelsea of 04/05 and United of 99.
Original post by trrr
The Invincibles are the most overrated team of the last 10-15 years. I wouldn't even put them in my top 5 of the best teams from that period of time.

Yeah it's become sort of trendy to say that isnt it? People always think they sound insightful when they critique teams which everyone raves about. But ultimately we're talking about a team that played breathtaking football, had world class players in nearly every position like Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Cole, Pires, Campbell and collectively swept all aside.

You could argue that Utd around 2008 were better I guess, they won more as well so it's a reasonable view.

Out of interest, where do Chelsea 2005 rank? :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 410
Original post by Zürich
Well since Kronke owns Arsenal, it's technically 'his' money in any case. If he took £100m out of the club in cash, then the value of his shares would decrease by the same amount pretty much.

Of course its not good for the club to be drained of cash, but from Kronke's perspective, he's not any richer. If he wants to get paid, he should just sell shares ultimately as it's basically the same thing in terms of his back pocket.

He has no plans to sell his shares though. So a price decline won't bother him (at least in the short time). It might actually have a ripple effect and help him obtain more share.

I'm not really that bothered about the 3m by itself. It's the fear of what it might lead to- this is a man that's on the record to be a big fan of what the glazers are doing at united. And like I said, it also raises the question about what the cash reserve are really for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pete_91
In terms of Europe they are hard to gauge (since they didn't get past the 1/4 finals) but domestically there are only two possible competitors: Chelsea of 04/05 and United of 99.

United of 08?
#DerbyDay

Stop all your petty squabbling, all that matters today is makings spuds fans everywhere cry.

Adebayor red card, Sanchez, Wilshere and a Welbeck double. 4-2 Arsenal.

COYG
Mangala is having a pre-2013 Koscielny game. Bleeding penalties and own goals.
Reply 414
Original post by Zürich
Yeah it's become sort of trendy to say that isnt it? But ultimately we're talking about a team that played breathtaking football, had world class players in nearly every position like Henry, Vieira, Cole, Pires, Campbell and collectively swept all aside.

You could argue that Utd around 2008 were better I guess, they won more as well so it's a reasonable view.

Out of interest, where do Chelsea 2005 rank? :laugh:

Above that Arsenal team, that's for sure.

Did we not break more records than the "Invincibles"? We won the most games, kept the most clean sheets and conceded the fewest number of goals in the history of the league. The league we had won was also tougher than the one the "Invincibles" participated in, and we won it just as convincingly.

We also won more trophies and performed better in the CL, beating superior opposition (Barcelona and Bayern Munich), thereby proving that we were at the very least one of the very best teams in Europe at the time whilst the "Invincibles" struggled against inferior sides and failed to beat an even worse Chelsea side.

We wouldn't even be having this debate if Van Nistelrooy had scored his penalty, it's as simple as that really.
The bottom line is, the unbeatables was a unique achievement and arsenal fans are proud of it. If it was any other team, their fans would be too. Anyone who says otherwise is just trolling and should be ignored.
LOL this time last year no one would ever disregard the invincibles talent..now however its become hipster and oh so insightful to say that the invincibles weren't so great.....welp. You can compare them to other teams but the invincibles, were great in their own right, they will always be in the football history books
anyway..buzzzing for the derby! Still nervous tho even with this shocking spurs team we're against
Original post by trrr
Above that Arsenal team, that's for sure.

Did we not break more records than the "Invincibles"? We won the most games, kept the most clean sheets and conceded the fewest number of goals in the history of the league. The league we had won was also tougher than the one the "Invincibles" participated in, and we won it just as convincingly.

We also won more trophies and performed better in the CL, beating superior opposition (Barcelona and Bayern Munich), thereby proving that we were at the very least one of the very best teams in Europe at the time whilst the "Invincibles" struggled against inferior sides and failed to beat an even worse Chelsea side.

We wouldn't even be having this debate if Van Nistelrooy had scored his penalty, it's as simple as that really.

Leave
#Arsenal team to play Spurs: Szczesny, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Welbeck

#Arsenal subs: Ospina, Coquelin, Flamini, Rosicky, Podolski, Cazorla, Alexis #AFCvTHFC

Latest