The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GlaisDragon
Extra A*s at GCSE or A level won't give you any preference over other candidates, and the PS isn't used at all. As long as you meet the minimum requirements you should get yourself an interview :smile:

do you know what the actually gcse requirements are?
Original post by Jaska
do you know what the actually gcse requirements are?

Not off the top of my head, you'll have to check the website or email medical admissions i'm afraid. I got my interview with 1 A*, 6 A's, 5 B's, 1 C (A's and B's in Maths, Englishes and Sciences) if that's any indication from last year :smile:
Extra A*s at GCSE or A level won't give you any preference over other candidates, and the PS isn't used at all. As long as you meet the minimum requirements you should get yourself an interview :smile:

Thanks very much :biggrin::biggrin:
Not off the top of my head, you'll have to check the website or email medical admissions i'm afraid. I got my interview with 1 A*, 6 A's, 5 B's, 1 C (A's and B's in Maths, Englishes and Sciences) if that's any indication from last year :smile:

ok thanks :smile: how are you enjoying exeter?
Original post by Jaska
ok thanks :smile: how are you enjoying exeter?

Absolutely loving it so far, nights out have been brilliant, and the course has been really interesting and enjoyable. I can't recommend Exeter enough to you guys, definitely worth some serious consideration to add to you choices
Absolutely loving it so far, nights out have been brilliant, and the course has been really interesting and enjoyable. I can't recommend Exeter enough to you guys, definitely worth some serious consideration to add to you choices

Is it true you can keep your student accommodation for the whole 5 years?

I fell in love with it at the open day xD
Last year I made sure not to have favourites so I would be equally ecstatic with any offer...but this time Exeter...just wow.

(although as a resitter I'd be amazed if I got in anywhere)

Thanks for all the help you've given in this thread! Enjoy uni :smile:
Original post by Dr. Django
I fell in love with it at the open day xD
Last year I made sure not to have favourites so I would be equally ecstatic with any offer...but this time Exeter...just wow.

(although as a resitter I'd be amazed if I got in anywhere)

Thanks for all the help you've given in this thread! Enjoy uni :smile:

Thank you! you're all very welcome, i remember using the student room loads last year.

While I really love it here, the reality with medical applications is that any medical school is a good one. It only takes one offer to become a doctor, so definitely be proud of any you get. Remember it's all worth it in the end!

Good luck with your application, i think the send off deadline is soon isn't it? :smile:
Thank you! you're all very welcome, i remember using the student room loads last year.

While I really love it here, the reality with medical applications is that any medical school is a good one. It only takes one offer to become a doctor, so definitely be proud of any you get. Remember it's all worth it in the end!

Good luck with your application, i think the send off deadline is soon isn't it? :smile:

Yeah unfortunately last year I didn't make the most of all 3 of my offers -_- hopefully I can get an offer from somewhere (I'd be ecstatic with anythin(and the 4 UMS I need to finally get in!!!

Thanks :smile: I really hope it's worth going through it all again!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr. Django
Yeah unfortunately last year I didn't make the most of all 3 of my offers -_- hopefully I can get an offer and the 4 UMS I need to finally get in!!!

Thanks :smile: I really hope it's worth going through it all again!

you got 3 offers and just missed out :O how horrendous! are you applying to the same ones?
Original post by Jaska
you got 3 offers and just missed out :O how horrendous! are you applying to the same ones?

;( needed AAA and got A*AB -_-
I can't apply to any of them as they don't allow resits, but I'll be glad with anything I could possibly get this time round!
Original post by Jaska
Is it true you can keep your student accommodation for the whole 5 years?

While i'm sure it's possible, i'd say it's highly unlikely (plus i think you'd get fed up with it by year 5). The university had to tell some first years to find private accommodation as there were around 130 more students than rooms. priority is always given to freshers who apply before the accommodation deadline.

Also, some medical students spend their third and fourth years in truro, so living in exeter wouldn't be feesable. Accommodation should work out cheaper overall with private rental as well, so overall i wouldn't advise it.

If you want to find out more (as i'm no expert), i'm sure the accommodation department would be able to help you out :smile:
Original post by cwi111
Plymouth and Exeter used to be one medical school (Peninsula). They split just prior to 2013 entry. Because they split so recently, the course isn't yet accredited by the GMC, but they are both undergoing regular checks to ensure that they are approved when the first cohort leaves in a few years. I wouldn't worry about it though - because their teaching methods are so similar to Peninsula, they're almost certain to be approved for the first cohort that graduates :smile:

Basically what cwi111 said, if you need any worries put to rest, i think the gmc publishes documents on whether the teaching is up to scratch in each medical school. if you still have concerns maybe check it out :smile:

Thank you, guys for the quick answers! I am still concerned about it not being accredited by the GMC, but I am applying next October (2015) so until then I will have to choose. Thanks :smile:
Reply 173
Any international students applying to Exeter?
X

May I ask, was the interview like Plymouth's (3 ethical scenarios, etc etc), or like a "normal" panel interview (a bit of PS, some ethics, problem solving, work experience reflection, etc etc)?
Original post by Mehhhh
May I ask, was the interview like Plymouth's (3 ethical scenarios, etc etc), or like a "normal" panel interview (a bit of PS, some ethics, problem solving, work experience reflection, etc etc)?

I had interviews at both plymouth and exeter last year, and they were laughably similar to each other just as you've described it.

The best advice for preparing for this style of interview, is recording yourself when you answer some questions, especially talking about yourself :smile:
Applied here this afternoon! Fingers crossed!
Original post by Stanimirr
Thank you, guys for the quick answers! I am still concerned about it not being accredited by the GMC, but I am applying next October (2015) so until then I will have to choose. Thanks :smile:

I very much doubt that there is anything to worry about, both plymouth and exeter are being monitored for the next few years. They wouldn't be allowed to take in students if there wasn't a confidence in the universities ability to deliver a degree.

years 3 upwards are still students at PCMD, and i'm fairly sure there will be some kind of "emergency plan" in the unlikely event that the medical school does not meet required standards.

Remember that It's not a new medical school, and most of the staff have been teaching successfully for years :smile:
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Applied here this afternoon! Fingers crossed!

Same!! Good luck!!!:biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by JudgeJudy96
Same!! Good luck!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck to you too!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending