The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say it was a bad result but I got ACC in my AS biology modules and then AAB in my A2 biology modules!
Original post by Crystal4
Has anyone ever or do you know of anyone who has gone from a D at AS to an overall A in chemistry? I'm doing A2 chem and also trying to revise for my AS retakes at the same time but I'm feeling so demotivated. Feel as if what I'm trying to achieve is impossible :frown:

I know of someone who's gone from a D to a B if that helps.
I'm kinda in the same boat, I'm trying to go from an E to a C/B. Hopefully if we put all we've got into it we can get there. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
I went from a C at AS to an A* overall (retaking some of AS). I just used both course textbooks (OCR) and also used a more 'challenging' textbook. I probably ended up spending the same amount of time on chemistry as I did my other four subjects combined.

How did you revise your AS modules alongside your A2 modules? did you re-do your notes or did you go straight to questions?
Original post by rakib567
How did you revise your AS modules alongside your A2 modules? did you re-do your notes or did you go straight to questions?

I never made notes originally, so the former.
Original post by Noble.
I never made notes originally, so the former.

so would you say to re-read the information and go through exam questions and papers?
Original post by rakib567
so would you say to re-read the information and go through exam questions and papers?

Pretty much.
Original post by mikaela_pascal
Thanks man, where else have you applied?

I did decision Manchester so I knew I had a place before I applied, gonna send off ucas applying to 5 of these, not sure which to take out: Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Warwick, Nottingham, UCL haha just an ambitious one
I got BCC last year and I worked my butt off and retook everything this year and came out with AAB at A2 in chemistry, biology and Maths respectively. So glad as its the exact grades needed for my course! :biggrin:
Original post by 786arslan
I did decision Manchester so I knew I had a place before I applied, gonna send off ucas applying to 5 of these, not sure which to take out: Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Warwick, Nottingham, UCL haha just an ambitious one

Wow, that's awesome man. Seriously wish you smash it.

Does UCL offer Aerospace?
Could someone possibly give me some advice?
These are my current grades:

Maths AS: A
C1: 84
C2:100
s1:75

Chemistry AS: B 239/300
F321:54/90 C :frown:
F322: 129/150 A
F323: 54/60 A

Physics AS: B 228/300
G491: 63/90 B
G492: 111/120 B
G493: 54/60 A

Maths A2: B
C3: 75/100
C4: 68/100
M1: 75/100

I'm also doing FMaths A2 and Biology AS in year13.

How likely is it for me to go from ABB to A*(Chem)AAAa or higher? It's Physics that's worrying me really to be honest. I find A2 easier but it'll probably get harder, does anyone have any advice on what i should retake?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 631
Not an AS to A2 story as I got AABB in year 12, but I remember in my mock a few months before I got an E in maths because I struggled so much but came out with a B as my result, worked hard for it though
Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
I got BCC last year and I worked my butt off and retook everything this year and came out with AAB at A2 in chemistry, biology and Maths respectively. So glad as its the exact grades needed for my course! :biggrin:

Sorry, hi jus a quick question...
Did you do anything different from your AS when studying for A2?
Especially in maths and chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abzey_97
Sorry, hi jus a quick question...
Did you do anything different from your AS when studying for A2?
Especially in maths and chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I don't understand the question, sorry. Do you mean the way I revised or the content of the course was different ?
Turned BBB into AAB. not a huge leap I guess
Hi I don't understand the question, sorry. Do you mean the way I revised or the content of the course was different ?

Sorry, I mean the way you revised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abzey_97
Sorry, I mean the way you revised.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I revised way in advance, I started revising for my AS retakes in December so I was really prepared. I did like every past paper 3 times and I also properly read through the text books rather the the revision guides. For maths I used exam solutions online which was super useful, you should check it out if you haven't before. I found that just in general AS was a lot easier because A2 was pretty hard, I ended up getting nearly full Ums in my retakes but only got Bs in my A2 exams in Maths. In chemistry again you've just got to do tons of past papers and read the text book. If you're doing chemistry at A2 the organic side should be a lot easier because you do it at a higher level. I made a massive flow chart of all the reactions and stuck it on my wall so I would see it every day. The CPG text books are really good - hated the revision guides they were awful. For some reason chemistry just seemed to click last year for me I got all As in both my AS and A2 exams but unfortunately my course worked pulled me down so I was a few Ums off an A*. My college ran 'surgeries' for every subject, they're worth going to if your college does them because the one on one time really helps.

Hope some of this has helped, I felt hopeless last summer when I got my results so didn't apply to university because I didn't think I would get the grades in the end to do my course. But im sure in the end it will be fine! Also my attendance was only 60% because I had been very ill so I guess that didn't help with my grades...
I revised way in advance, I started revising for my AS retakes in December so I was really prepared. I did like every past paper 3 times and I also properly read through the text books rather the the revision guides. For maths I used exam solutions online which was super useful, you should check it out if you haven't before. I found that just in general AS was a lot easier because A2 was pretty hard, I ended up getting nearly full Ums in my retakes but only got Bs in my A2 exams in Maths. In chemistry again you've just got to do tons of past papers and read the text book. If you're doing chemistry at A2 the organic side should be a lot easier because you do it at a higher level. I made a massive flow chart of all the reactions and stuck it on my wall so I would see it every day. The CPG text books are really good - hated the revision guides they were awful. For some reason chemistry just seemed to click last year for me I got all As in both my AS and A2 exams but unfortunately my course worked pulled me down so I was a few Ums off an A*. My college ran 'surgeries' for every subject, they're worth going to if your college does them because the one on one time really helps.

Hope some of this has helped, I felt hopeless last summer when I got my results so didn't apply to university because I didn't think I would get the grades in the end to do my course. But im sure in the end it will be fine! Also my attendance was only 60% because I had been very ill so I guess that didn't help with my grades...

Thank you for putting the effort in and writing a lot of useful tips, honestly, they all really help.:five::biggrin:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
:yes:
Going to remember this for throughout the year.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi what boards did you do for maths chem and bio?
Original post by Helpme.
Hi what boards did you do for maths chem and bio?

OCR for biology and chemistry and AQA for maths.

Quick Reply

Latest