The Student Room Group

Virgin Rocket Ship Crash

Poll

Would you want to go into space?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29861259

I don't feel like the Virgin Galatic exploding is a particularly good sign for space tourism. Personally I wouldn't even want to go into space (mainly because I suffer from hideous travel sickness and watched Gravity the other day).

How does everyone else feel about space tourism? Would you want to go into space?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Queen Cersei

I don't feel like the Virgin Galatic exploding is a particularly good sign for space tourism. Personally I wouldn't even want to go into space (mainly because I suffer from hideous travel sickness and watched Gravity the other day).

How does everyone else feel about space tourism? Would you want to go into space?

I'd love to go to space - it's a once in a lifetime experience. Spaceships always explode when they're in development, that's how we learn - through mistakes like this, just look at Apollo and Soyuz for examples. I think it'll be possible in our lifetimes.

They'll work out exactly what caused the crash and make sure it never happens again.

I'd go into space. It'll be cool tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I'd love to go to space - it's a once in a lifetime experience. Spaceships always explode when they're in development, that's how we learn - through mistakes like this, just look at Apollo and Soyuz for examples. I think it'll be possible in our lifetimes.

Original post by Motorbiker
They'll work out exactly what caused the crash and make sure it never happens again.

I'd go into space. It'll be cool tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha you both have a lot more faith in it than me! What if the first voyage turns out to be another titanic?!
I'd like to go to space but I don't like anything attached to Richard Branson.
I want to keep my tootsies firmly planted on earth :sadnod: I'm very against space travel.
Reply 6
Haha you both have a lot more faith in it than me! What if the first voyage turns out to be another titanic?!

Still an experience.
There is no progress without some form of failure, cars crashed and failed many times before they were made into final products.

That being said I don't like the idea of wasting valuable fossil fuels on stuff like this, of which a similar "floaty" feeling can be obtained in a swimming pool without harming the planet or costing loads of money.
Original post by Andy98
Still an experience.

Haha I suppose so! But even if you never come back from it?!

I don't have a spare 125k and the first about thirty flights are sold out.

I'll be about five to ten years later when it's only a few k.
Reply 10
Haha I suppose so! But even if you never come back from it?!

Meh. By the time they have it sorted out and I have the money I'll be on my deathbed anyway

Well the first voyage sold out years ago with Richard Branson getting ticket #1. Apparently they've sold over 300 tickets. Each flight is 6 passengers.

Serious accidents in prototypes are not unheard of, for example:

But that clearly didn't put Neil Armstrong off going to the moon.

So one hiccup and suddenly it's a terrible thing?
When a plane crashes do you also as "do you want to go on a plane?", every time a car crashes "would you want to drive?" etc. These things happen, no matter the mode of transport. By the time we die space tourism will probably be the norm.

Throughout the history of all form of travel such incidents happened, it's a natural part of development.
Original post by Andy98
Meh. By the time they have it sorted out and I have the money I'll be on my deathbed anyway

It's not going to remain $250,000 for ever, the price will naturally come down as more players enter the game and the technology matures.
In 1939 a transatlantic plane ticket would cost you almost $7000 in today's money (and take 30 hours)
In 1952, London to Johannesburg would cost almost £5,000 one way, almost £9000 return (again, both in today's money). You can do the same flight now for £1000 return direct, or just over £500 going via Abu-Dhabi
Original post by InsertWittyName
If there was a manned mission to Mars and I was suitable, I'd definitely go, even if it meant not coming back. But not really 'space tourism'- it's going to space for the sake of going to space- not for research or science or the long term feasibility of space travel.

So, would you partake in "regular" tourism? i.e. flying half way around the world on holiday for the sake of it? That's not for research, nor science, nor the long term feasibility of air travel. What makes space so different?
It's captain massive in regards to air pollution. I'll sit this one out.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
It's captain massive in regards to air pollution. I'll sit this one out.

Do you not go on holiday abroad anywhere then? Or drive? Or use electrical devices? They're all captain massives, more so probably than this.
Or not eat any exotic foods for that matter
(edited 9 years ago)
Without a doubt, no matter what may happen in the future, if I had the chance to go into space (provided there were no hidden points prior to flight) I would go.
Original post by InsertWittyName
Honestly, I wouldn't say I really do 'regular' tourism either. I mean, I'll go somewhere with a more comfortable climate every so often but that's just because it is a nicer place to be.

I think most people that will be doing space tourism will just do it so they can say they've been to space (the majority of whom probably have more money than they know what to do with). The effects of zero-g can be reproduced on Earth, and the only other reason I can think of doing space tourism is for the view- and I've never really seen the appeal of 'beautiful' scenery (though I get that some people are into those things).

*enter: pedantry police* There's no such thing, it's a physical impossibility.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Do you not go on holiday abroad anywhere then? Or drive? Or use electrical devices? They're all captain massives, more so probably than this.
Or not eat any exotic foods for that matter

Did you notice the emissions of that rocket
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending