The Student Room Group

Nottingham A108 Medicine with a Foundation Year 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BCMFM16
My sister got an email about needing to show proof about the criteria thing.

Yes that's normal, if you're not sure exactly what documents to send, contact the university and they'll give you a list
Original post by X_CSK_X
Yes that's normal, if you're not sure exactly what documents to send, contact the university and they'll give you a list

Yeah she knows we're locals to Nottingham which is good. She's got a severe medical condition which she hopes will also help her through the application process.
The medicine admissions tutor is a really lovely person! When I was at the Sutton Trust Nottingham Summer School she handed our certificates to us.
Lool
(edited 8 years ago)
Did anyone get an offer yet??
nope nothing
Just some information from the email to help you guys out...

I am delighted to inform you that we have now received your UCAS application to the School of Medicine at The University of Nottingham.

As you can appreciate we are receiving a large number of applications and as a result you may not hear from us until January or February regarding the outcome of your application. All decisions concerning your application will be communicated to you through UCAS. Interviews will be held in January, February, March and very early April. All interviews are face-to-face so you must be available to attend.

You may find our selection and scoring system document helpful, please note we are NOT using a questionnaire this year:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/documents/ugstudy-docs/school-of-medicine-scoring-of-applications-2015-(a100).pdf

A108 applications the scoring is slightly different to the above document. The top 6 GCSE’s are scored, including chemistry, biology, maths and English language C to A* grades. Scoring the UKCAT, personal statement and interview style is the same.

To find out more about the School of Medicine, please go to our News Page:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/news.aspx
Guys please feel free to post your stats... don't be shy :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by crazya96
hey guys

i kinda need some help in what documents to send. if anyone is sending document s about the parent income so from hm revenue what pages do u send or do u send all 6 pages.
also if u send the documents first does that give u an advantage or what!!

please help!!!

thanks

I just sent the page which had my household income on it?
Original post by lboyle426
I just sent the page which had my household income on it?

You're fine. As long as the figure stated on the first page is under £35,000, don't worry about it.
Original post by Hamzah Amir Khan
You're fine. As long as the figure stated on the first page is under £35,000, don't worry about it.

Ahh okay that's good! I assumed they would only want the page with your household income on it, definitely just stressed out thinking they may have wanted all of the pages!
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if Nottingham use PBL for the foundation medicine course? I know I should probably know this seeing as I applied here. :colondollar:
Original post by Female Gunner
Hey guys!

I was just wondering if Nottingham use PBL for the foundation medicine course? I know I should probably know this seeing as I applied here. :colondollar:

Hi,i don't think they do because the foundation year doesn't teach medicine as such, it teaches the bio and chem aspects of a-level and slightly beyond needed for the actual medicine course. I think it's lectures,tutorials,seminars and group work :smile:
Original post by Female Gunner
Hey guys!

Hi there!

PBL is only used at Nottingham for the GEMs (which doesn't concern us at this stage). I think there is the odd PBL session when you move onto to undergrad medicine at the QMC, but in terms of the foundation year there is nothing like that. It's very classroom based and just focuses on bits of biology and chemistry that will concern both the medics and MPTs for next year and beyond. Hope this helps! Any other questions, feel free to post or PM.
Reply 34
Original post by BackFromCydonia
Hi there!

PBL is only used at Nottingham for the GEMs (which doesn't concern us at this stage). I think there is the odd PBL session when you move onto to undergrad medicine at the QMC, but in terms of the foundation year there is nothing like that. It's very classroom based and just focuses on bits of biology and chemistry that will concern both the medics and MPTs for next year and beyond. Hope this helps! Any other questions, feel free to post or PM.

I gather that the foundation year is mainly biology and chemistry with smaller aspects of psychology and sociology. There is some group work in which you work in a pear, but most of the time you'll be partnered with somebody good, as opposed to a lemon. Some aspects may seem fruity but the teaching done is sublime. The foundation year is peachy though.
Why are people with fantastic results applying for this course, when they could apply for the standard entry?
Original post by IllmaticLUPE
Why are people with fantastic results applying for this course, when they could apply for the standard entry?

Depends on what position you're in. For me personally i achieved ABB..theres a limited amount of uni's that will take resits..i really want to do medicine...this is an alternate way in. I have however applied with my actual grades but my predicted are A*AA..so i guess it seems like i fit their A100 criteria but i don't?
Original post by numar9501
Depends on what position you're in. For me personally i achieved ABB..theres a limited amount of uni's that will take resits..i really want to do medicine...this is an alternate way in. I have however applied with my actual grades but my predicted are A*AA..so i guess it seems like i fit their A100 criteria but i don't?

I am in the exact same position as you! I achieved ABB and I'm currently resitting my two Bs and am predicted A*AA.

Where else did you apply to?
Original post by lboyle426
I am in the exact same position as you! I achieved ABB and I'm currently resitting my two Bs and am predicted A*AA.

Where else did you apply to?

Liverpool,Lancaster and Exeter :colondollar:
How about you?
Original post by numar9501
Liverpool,Lancaster and Exeter :colondollar:
How about you?

Are they all fine with you initially achieving ABB? I applied to Queen's University Belfast, UEA and Southampton's Medicine with a foundation year :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending