The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snailsareslimy
I didn't realise dissertations would be so difficult to do. Just gonna hope this pulls through throughout the year and I get a decent mark. If not, it may well just ruin my whole degree... :cry:

PRSOM. Totally get these feels. We can do it though!! I keep telling myself that it's a challenge worth taking and it's going to be very rewarding in the end.
Original post by venuswaltz
PRSOM. Totally get these feels. We can do it though!! I keep telling myself that it's a challenge worth taking and it's going to be very rewarding in the end.

It's so horrid, isn't it? :hugs:
I'm sure in the end we'll be proud of it and happy we did it, but right now, no. We'll get through it :suith:

What's yours own? I'm sure you've already said but I have a terrible memory :lol:
It's so horrid, isn't it? :hugs:
I'm sure in the end we'll be proud of it and happy we did it, but right now, no. We'll get through it :suith:

What's yours own? I'm sure you've already said but I have a terrible memory :lol:

Mine's morphed quite a bit since. originally it was on melancholy in 18th C poetry but now I'm focusing it on a specific Early Romantic female poet :smile:

Were you doing a dissertation based on the murals? I have a hazy memory of something related to that although I could be chatting rubbish!
Original post by venuswaltz
Mine's morphed quite a bit since. originally it was on melancholy in 18th C poetry but now I'm focusing it on a specific Early Romantic female poet :smile:

Were you doing a dissertation based on the murals? I have a hazy memory of something related to that although I could be chatting rubbish!

That sounds so cool! I sort of which I would have done the 18th C and Romantic lit module last year :frown:

Yeah, mine is! I was thinking originally about looking at murals/newspaper articles/political speeches but with my supervisor's help we narrowed it down to murals and doing a multimodal and political discourse analysis of a small selection to them. It hasn't really been done very much which is making it difficult, though. Having absolutely nothing to follow is so hard. Hopefully it'll be okay, my supervisor said it was a good topic but it has the potential to go very wrong :rofl:
Completely empathise with you guys. I am just starting to come up with a topic for my masters diss, and all those familiar feelings from undergrad diss writing are coming back :redface:
Spending all day practicing the statistical tests for my test on Monday! So far so good, just need to make sure I choose the right one to use or I get 0 :frown: pressure much!
Original post by lilGem
Got a meeting on Tuesday with a potential lecturer :biggrin:

my adviser said he'd always take me on if I can't find one too :woo:

Well done!! :top:

And that's very kind of your adviser :h:

-----------

Really need to sort out what I want to do career-wise, have been recommended to look for work experience in different fields rather than just 1 internship :unsure: Urgh, feels daunting having to just choose a particular career path especially when I have always liked to keep my options open :s-smilie:
I didn't realise dissertations would be so difficult to do. Just gonna hope this pulls through throughout the year and I get a decent mark. If not, it may well just ruin my whole degree... :cry:

You'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds so cool! I sort of which I would have done the 18th C and Romantic lit module last year :frown:

Yeah, mine is! I was thinking originally about looking at murals/newspaper articles/political speeches but with my supervisor's help we narrowed it down to murals and doing a multimodal and political discourse analysis of a small selection to them. It hasn't really been done very much which is making it difficult, though. Having absolutely nothing to follow is so hard. Hopefully it'll be okay, my supervisor said it was a good topic but it has the potential to go very wrong :rofl:

Clearly choosing murals here is quite an interesting talking point. Most people have irrelevant dissertations but yours will be readable. Are you going to examine the fact that some controversial murals are painted over with more positive messages?
Original post by Fortitude
Well done!! :top:

And that's very kind of your adviser :h:

-----------

Really need to sort out what I want to do career-wise, have been recommended to look for work experience in different fields rather than just 1 internship :unsure: Urgh, feels daunting having to just choose a particular career path especially when I have always liked to keep my options open :s-smilie:

Thank you :h: my adviser is wonderful!
I'm looking for some sensible, helpful and hopefully experienced advice (I judge this thread to contain much more of this than the relationships forum).

To cut a long story short: there's a girl I really like and get along well with. We don't see each other much but we've been chatting for around a month. It's difficult to move things along because we both have such busy schedules. I had a plan to ask her (in very much a 'date' way) to this dinner that I'd managed to secure 2 tickets for (about £40 is quite a lot for a student and I was hoping she'd appreciate this). However, I've just heard that her friendship group are all headed to this dinner as well, and (because time is this running out this term and I don't have any good backup ideas) I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I don't really know any of her friendship group also.

So there are 3 main ideas here (I definitely still want to ask her out);
1. Ask her if she's going, she says yes (with friends) and then suggest that a group of my friends and a group of hers sit by each other, (i.e. we sort of bridge the gap? I feel like this is demanding less but it's also not much of a date if so many others are there, and I also realise this could be a bit odd/awkward.
2. Ask her if she's going, she says yes, and I suggest or say that she cancels her ticket, gets her money back and just goes with me? I don't want to stop her going out with her friends, but I feel like this shows stronger intentions and maybe taking a harder line will go across better?
3. Just come up with some other way of inviting her to something, or wait (likely until after christmas). I don't really know what to do for this, I don't like having to settle for something "worse" and I don't want to take forever because then we might just settle into being friends...

I feel like a lot of girls would prefer to be sort-of told its a date and have the guy take charge - especially shy girls. But I also don't want to bully or just be mean about making her not spend time with her friends. Retrospectively, I should have asked her a few weeks ago but oh well. Of course, she could still say no and that would present the simplest solution, but I feel like things have gone well up until now.

Edit: also, one of the added complications here is that I have a bit of a (false) reputation for being a bit of a lad, and one of the reasons i want to ask her out properly and not just ask her over for a coffee is that I want to let her know she's special to me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn
I'm looking for some sensible, helpful and hopefully experienced advice (I judge this thread to contain much more of this than the relationships forum).

To cut a long story short: there's a girl I really like and get along well with. We don't see each other much but we've been chatting for around a month. It's difficult to move things along because we both have such busy schedules. I had a plan to ask her (in very much a 'date' way) to this dinner that I'd managed to secure 2 tickets for (about £40 is quite a lot for a student and I was hoping she'd appreciate this). However, I've just heard that her friendship group are all headed to this dinner as well, and (because time is this running out this term and I don't have any good backup ideas) I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I don't really know any of her friendship group also.

So there are 3 main ideas here (I definitely still want to ask her out);
1. Ask her if she's going, she says yes (with friends) and then suggest that a group of my friends and a group of hers sit by each other, (i.e. we sort of bridge the gap? I feel like this is demanding less but it's also not much of a date if so many others are there, and I also realise this could be a bit odd/awkward.
2. Ask her if she's going, she says yes, and I suggest or say that she cancels her ticket, gets her money back and just goes with me? I don't want to stop her going out with her friends, but I feel like this shows stronger intentions and maybe taking a harder line will go across better?
3. Just come up with some other way of inviting her to something, or wait (likely until after christmas). I don't really know what to do for this, I don't like having to settle for something "worse" and I don't want to take forever because then we might just settle into being friends...

I feel like a lot of girls would prefer to be sort-of told its a date and have the guy take charge - especially shy girls. But I also don't want to bully or just be mean about making her not spend time with her friends. Retrospectively, I should have asked her a few weeks ago but oh well. Of course, she could still say no and that would present the simplest solution, but I feel like things have gone well up until now.

Edit: also, one of the added complications here is that I have a bit of a (false) reputation for being a bit of a lad, and one of the reasons i want to ask her out properly and not just ask her over for a coffee is that I want to let her know she's special to me.

Definitley not no2. At this early stage its not up to you to tell her what to do.

This one.

Then try and sit next to her. Possibly ask her out for a drink/coffee or something afterwards.
Been studying all day and feeling slightly more confident about my test on Monday :smile:
Original post by jelly1000
Definitley not no2. At this early stage its not up to you to tell her what to do.

Original post by rayquaza17
This one.

Then try and sit next to her. Possibly ask her out for a drink/coffee or something afterwards.

Thanks, I also feel like this is what her reaction would be. I'm just upset that I didn't really consider this happening in a way that would avoid me actually finding anything out or advancing anything. Because:
"Hey,do you want to go to X on the Xth of november with me"
"Oh, I'm actually i'm already going with the girls"
isn't really giving me an answer at all, in fact it just sets up an odd scenario where I half-confess that I like her without actually going anywhere with it.

Term will also be over less than a week later, which is also really quite inconvenient. I think it's back to the drawing board...
went home for the weekend...put a deposit down on a bike :colondollar:
Thanks, I also feel like this is what her reaction would be. I'm just upset that I didn't really consider this happening in a way that would avoid me actually finding anything out or advancing anything. Because:
"Hey,do you want to go to X on the Xth of november with me"
"Oh, I'm actually i'm already going with the girls"
isn't really giving me an answer at all, in fact it just sets up an odd scenario where I half-confess that I like her without actually going anywhere with it.

Term will also be over less than a week later, which is also really quite inconvenient. I think it's back to the drawing board...

Why not:
"Hey are you going to X on X?"
YES:
"Me too, I hope to see you there! etc"
NO:
"I've got a spare ticket if you fancy coming along??"

Is it such a bad thing half-confessing you like her though? She will probably be flattered!
Original post by rayquaza17
Why not:
"Hey are you going to X on X?"
YES:
"Me too, I hope to see you there! etc"
NO:
"I've got a spare ticket if you fancy coming along??"

Is it such a bad thing half-confessing you like her though? She will probably be flattered!

I think I will go for that yes :tongue: I'll need to come up with a better ultimate move though (if the answer is yes).

I hope so :tongue: but I kind of also want to know how she feels if I'm going to pluck up the courage to ask her. She's very sociable and very smiley/ nice with a lot of people - which makes it quite hard to tell if she likes me or not.
So I was in Wales last weekend so obvs didn't do any work, get addicted to house on Netflix which makes me do no work all this week and since I'm at home this weekend, it makes me do no work either and now the works just piled up to infinity :facepalm:

Really need to kick my ass back into gear again if I want this 2:1 this year :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Test today, so nervous :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending