The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shattered Dreams
Hi guys. I'm Shattered Dreams.

I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone has a similar crb problem and how to tackle it. Thanx

Hello and welcome to The Student Room

I hope you have enjoyed your first day or so on the site and you have found everything you have been looking for.

If you still need any help, please feel free to PM or quote me!
Hiya... Thanx for noticing my line. Any idea how to go about pursuing a nursing career with a past conviction of theft and fraud from 12yrs ago??? All my applications are being rejected as soon as my crb certificate is on the table.
Original post by mobbsy91
Hello and welcome to The Student Room

I hope you have enjoyed your first day or so on the site and you have found everything you have been looking for.

If you still need any help, please feel free to PM or quote me!

Hiya... Thanx for noticing my line. Any idea how to go about pursuing a nursing career with a past conviction of theft and fraud from 12yrs ago??? All my applications are being rejected as soon as my crb certificate is on the table.

No problem - I understand the difficulty with this, because there is such a demand that employers can afford to ignore anyone with a crb history - I wouldn't know how to approach this to be honest... Have you posted in the Nursing forum?
Reply 5
There are 4 people on my access course with convictions pursuing a career in nursing. One for common assault, selling alcohol without a license, drink driving, and domestic violence.

Are you not declaring your convictions before submitting your applications for employment? You need to be open and honest. By not declaring your convictions, this raises more questions than answers.

Moreover, the law changed in may of last year, your convictions may be eligible for filtering providing they are not on the list of offences that will never be filtered.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-cautions-convictions/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/338933/Filtering_guide_v2.3.pdf

(edited 9 years ago)
Right you have to really think this one through, i am not advising you do this.

I am a qualified nurse, now when I got into University I met two people with criminal records... How did they get on the course they didn't tell the university they had a criminal record... The ducked and dived the CRB process one managed this until 3rd year and they allowed him to stay on the course after because he had proved his trust, he was charged with GBH. The other dangerous driving, was allowed to stay on.

During my course 2 students got done for drunk driving, one even toppled his car on the motorway drunk both still qaulified.

My friend got caught with Cannabis possession when she was like 16, didn't declare got accepted for an art therapy degree now work is in a school.

Where does honesty always get you? You have to behonest as a nurse, but for you maybe you have to reflect on the examples I've given you.

if I was an admission tutor and I knew you had a criminal record I would say no because I have 1500 other applicants who don't. Now it's likely this will get bought to you in the first year as sometimes they won't let you do placement, then beg and plead at that point saying as you are how desperate you were but nobody would consider you
(edited 9 years ago)
If you do not declare it will come up on your DBS disclosure this is career terminal. and make you unregisterable , in the OPs case this is doubly so as the previous conviction is for an acquisitive crime.

Acquistive crime is the 2nd greatest issue in terms of conviction for people who will be working with vulnerable groups, the greatest issue is abuse of vulnerable persons.

People will tell you stories of how someone with GBH conviction got registered and is working - what has to be remembered is that the circumstances of a conviction will be taken into account.
My boyfriend is a qualified nurse who has been working the past 2 years. He did time for GBH and other stuff and so far it hasn't been too much of a problem - he wanted to do paeds originally but couldn't because of it, however in terms of getting a job if it's a long while ago I shouldn't think it would hinder you a lot.
Thanks to you all. But... My problem is that I am declaring my convictions. I have never tried to hide it. I'm actually beginning to think that honesty isn't always the best policy. If I could do any other jobs I would but all I know is care work and now my certificates are rotting in my drawer
Original post by zippyRN
If you do not declare it will come up on your DBS disclosure this is career terminal. and make you unregisterable , in the OPs case this is doubly so as the previous conviction is for an acquisitive crime.

Acquistive crime is the 2nd greatest issue in terms of conviction for people who will be working with vulnerable groups, the greatest issue is abuse of vulnerable persons.

People will tell you stories of how someone with GBH conviction got registered and is working - what has to be remembered is that the circumstances of a conviction will be taken into account.

Thank you. I'm honestly considering writing a letter to David Cameron coz I dont know what else to do. I've never tried to hide my convictions but it seems like the more honest I am about it, the more I get crucified for it.
Original post by Speed1987
Right you have to really think this one through, i am not advising you do this.

I am a qualified nurse, now when I got into University I met two people with criminal records... How did they get on the course they didn't tell the university they had a criminal record... The ducked and dived the CRB process one managed this until 3rd year and they allowed him to stay on the course after because he had proved his trust, he was charged with GBH. The other dangerous driving, was allowed to stay on.

During my course 2 students got done for drunk driving, one even toppled his car on the motorway drunk both still qaulified.

My friend got caught with Cannabis possession when she was like 16, didn't declare got accepted for an art therapy degree now work is in a school.

Where does honesty always get you? You have to behonest as a nurse, but for you maybe you have to reflect on the examples I've given you.

if I was an admission tutor and I knew you had a criminal record I would say no because I have 1500 other applicants who don't. Now it's likely this will get bought to you in the first year as sometimes they won't let you do placement, then beg and plead at that point saying as you are how desperate you were but nobody would consider you

Hi. I might actually take you up on that suggestion as I am now really desperate to move on with my life. I've tried the honesty route but it's clearly not getting me anywhere. Hmmm.. I'll need to have a really good think. At the end of the day, I didn't kill or try to kill anyone. But hey, I guess sometimes in life you jes have to cheat or lie a little to get what you want.
Original post by mobbsy91
No problem - I understand the difficulty with this, because there is such a demand that employers can afford to ignore anyone with a crb history - I wouldn't know how to approach this to be honest... Have you posted in the Nursing forum?

That is so true. The sad thing is I've had to assume an identity to get a support work role at one of the very places that rejected my application two years ago. This jes shows how desperate I am as not being able to work was causing me unnecessary financial stress on top of not being able to get a place in uni. I got the job jes because I lied about who I am and yet when I presented myself as me with a past, they wouldn't give me the job. Doesn't make sense does it?
Original post by Trapped
There are 4 people on my access course with convictions pursuing a career in nursing. One for common assault, selling alcohol without a license, drink driving, and domestic violence.

Are you not declaring your convictions before submitting your applications for employment? You need to be open and honest. By not declaring your convictions, this raises more questions than answers.

Moreover, the law changed in may of last year, your convictions may be eligible for filtering providing they are not on the list of offences that will never be filtered.

http://hub.unlock.org.uk/knowledgebase/filtering-cautions-convictions/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-list-of-offences-that-will-never-be-filtered-from-a-criminal-record-check

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/338933/Filtering_guide_v2.3.pdf

Thanx for that. Will check it out. The sad thing is I've had to assume another identity to get a job and yet when I applied for that same job and told them the truth they rejected my application. Thing is I can't do the same for uni coz I want my certificate to have my real name on it.
That is so true. The sad thing is I've had to assume an identity to get a support work role at one of the very places that rejected my application two years ago. This jes shows how desperate I am as not being able to work was causing me unnecessary financial stress on top of not being able to get a place in uni. I got the job jes because I lied about who I am and yet when I presented myself as me with a past, they wouldn't give me the job. Doesn't make sense does it?

crazily risky

you WILL get found out and you will get placed on the barring list which will make you completely unemployable in the sector.

you are currently engaged in fraudulent behaviour and also in behaviour which will raise questions over your suitability to work in a role where you are in contact with vulnerable groups.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi. I might actually take you up on that suggestion as I am now really desperate to move on with my life. I've tried the honesty route but it's clearly not getting me anywhere. Hmmm.. I'll need to have a really good think. At the end of the day, I didn't kill or try to kill anyone. But hey, I guess sometimes in life you jes have to cheat or lie a little to get what you want.

even if you were able to get on a pre-reg course, your attitude and lack oif moral compass means you would fail.

your attitude is likely to cause sufficient concern among tutors and placement mentors for you to be awarded the order of the Boot .
Reply 16
Morning..... Please don't lie.....that will find you out on your dbs check! The best way is to shown that you have learned from your experience, and that you would never do it again.
The best policy is honesty all the way, and don't listen to those that are encouraging you to lie....you could potential end up on the barred list.
I had a nursing interview on Thursday...the university advise was to be honest about conviction as only certain one would cause you a problem. They also take into consideration when the offence was committed, and that fact it was a one off....and out of character.
Original post by Judah
Morning..... Please don't lie.....that will find you out on your dbs check! The best way is to shown that you have learned from your experience, and that you would never do it again.
The best policy is honesty all the way, and don't listen to those that are encouraging you to lie....you could potential end up on the barred list.
I had a nursing interview on Thursday...the university advise was to be honest about conviction as only certain one would cause you a problem. They also take into consideration when the offence was committed, and that fact it was a one off....and out of character.

Hi... I've decided not to lie about it and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice. If my honesty doesn't pay off, I've decided to seriously consider a completely different career path as I'm sure that will work out. At least by changing my career path that means I don't have to be reminded every 3yrs or so of an unfortunate mistake that I made. Take care
Original post by zippyRN
crazily risky

you WILL get found out and you will get placed on the barring list which will make you completely unemployable in the sector.

you are currently engaged in fraudulent behaviour and also in behaviour which will raise questions over your suitability to work in a role where you are in contact with vulnerable groups.

It might sound crazy to you but it's paying my bills.
Reply 19
Hi... I've decided not to lie about it and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice. If my honesty doesn't pay off, I've decided to seriously consider a completely different career path as I'm sure that will work out. At least by changing my career path that means I don't have to be reminded every 3yrs or so of an unfortunate mistake that I made. Take care

I would go and get some legal advice....seems a little unfair that a mistake in the past is totally ruining your future.
If no children or vulnerable people where hurt in the process of what you did, then it seems misuse of the dbs system.
Pi would ask to see the university policy, and what prevents you from gaining a place on the course. You would normally have to disclose all the circumstance and this then is presented to an Independent panel for a decision.
i hope you find a way around it all......good luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending