The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Is Queens university Belfast a good university to apply to?

Hello, im currently in year 13 and was wondering if anyone would recommend applying to queens Belfast? are the facilities there any good( eg. library, accommodation and labs)? is the city Belfast nice? :smile:

Also I'm from England so don't know a great deal about NI, so if there are any English students studying there any advice about living there would be much appreciated thank you!
I am applying to do chemical engineering :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr mysterious
Hello, im currently in year 13 and was wondering if anyone would recommend applying to queens Belfast? are the facilities there any good( eg. library, accommodation and labs)? is the city Belfast nice? :smile:

Also I'm from England so don't know a great deal about NI, so if there are any English students studying there any advice about living there would be much appreciated thank you!

I live in NI so I'd be happy to answer your questions :smile:

I went to the open day for 2013 entry and went to look at chemical engineering, they have a huge site dedicated just to engineering and the labs are amazing!

Good night life, easy to get around and plenty of shops, and I don't think you will have any issues with accommodation. I mean, there is plenty to do in Belfast, but even then, you can easily hop on loads of buses/trains to pretty much anywhere in NI, or even get the train down to Dublin for like £8, it's good :smile: The continental market is fab around christmas time as well :smile:
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
QUB is fabulous. Library is good, it won an award for its design recently too :woo:
Original post by LadyEcliptic
I live in NI so I'd be happy to answer your questions :smile:

I went to the open day for 2013 entry and went to look at chemical engineering, they have a huge site dedicated just to engineering and the labs are amazing!

Good night life, easy to get around and plenty of shops, and I don't think you will have any issues with accommodation. I mean, there is plenty to do in Belfast, but even then, you can easily hop on loads of buses/trains to pretty much anywhere in NI, or even get the train down to Dublin for like £8, it's good :smile: The continental market is fab around christmas time as well :smile:

Thank you for the help!:smile: I haven't had the chance to visit yet but I really want to! I've seen pictures of the university online though and it looks amazing, is it a big university?:smile:
Original post by snailsareslimy
QUB is fabulous. Library is good, it won an award for its design recently too :woo:

Thats good then! is it a large library then?:smile:
Reply 5
Thats good then! is it a large library then?:smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24703445
Thank you for the help!:smile: I haven't had the chance to visit yet but I really want to! I've seen pictures of the university online though and it looks amazing, is it a big university?:smile:

Very big, they have about 4-6 sites of different campuses (like medicine, engineering etc, in around that) all around the main building so they do.

The student union is just across from it and it's quite big as well, like I said, it is big but there is plenty to do :smile: the town services for buses/trains are great too and they pretty much go most of the day, so it's not hard to get around. I really like it :smile:
Very big, they have about 4-6 sites of different campuses (like medicine, engineering etc, in around that) all around the main building so they do.

The student union is just across from it and it's quite big as well, like I said, it is big but there is plenty to do :smile: the town services for buses/trains are great too and they pretty much go most of the day, so it's not hard to get around. I really like it :smile:

It sounds amazing!! just crossing my fingers I can get an offer now:s-smilie: do you study there?:smile:
It sounds amazing!! just crossing my fingers I can get an offer now:s-smilie: do you study there?:smile:

I'm sure you will :smile:

Nope, I'm applying overseas but I want to have a go of applying down south, I'm a home bird but all these years in NI and I want a change :tongue:
I would love to study at it but there are no courses there that I would be deeply interested in, at the moment anyway :smile:
I'm from England and I currently go to Queens. It's a lovely uni and there's quite a mix of people. I would say apply and go if you get the chance.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I also live in NI and I can thoroughly recommend Belfast, although I can't speak for your course!

The accommodation at QUB is extremely good. The university is in a central location with the student's union across the road. The shopping in Belfast, with the likes of Victoria Square/Castlecourt/Castle Street really is something else. Belfast at Christmas time is truly amazing! Belfast is extremely cheap in comparison with some cities in England. Trains are run by the NI government and are heavily subsidised. The bus/train to Dublin really costs about £8 (as someone above said) and it's worth it. You can get to the other side of NI within 1 hour and a half if you're up for exploring, so there's always something to do!
I'm sure you will :smile:

Nope, I'm applying overseas but I want to have a go of applying down south, I'm a home bird but all these years in NI and I want a change :tongue:
I would love to study at it but there are no courses there that I would be deeply interested in, at the moment anyway :smile:

Thank you! and ahh i see what do you want to study then?:biggrin:
Original post by stewarte
I also live in NI and I can thoroughly recommend Belfast, although I can't speak for your course!

The accommodation at QUB is extremely good. The university is in a central location with the student's union across the road. The shopping in Belfast, with the likes of Victoria Square/Castlecourt/Castle Street really is something else. Belfast at Christmas time is truly amazing! Belfast is extremely cheap in comparison with some cities in England. Trains are run by the NI government and are heavily subsidised. The bus/train to Dublin really costs about £8 (as someone above said) and it's worth it. You can get to the other side of NI within 1 hour and a half if you're up for exploring, so there's always something to do!

Cheers for the help! do you know if the sports facilities there are good? and is there any particular areas of sport that the university is particularly good at, if that makes sense haha?
Thank you! and ahh i see what do you want to study then?:biggrin:

No worries :smile:

Veterinary medicine, but I have had a change of heart and want go down the healthcare line with people, not sure what though :tongue:

as for sports: http://www.queenssport.com
Cheers for the help! do you know if the sports facilities there are good? and is there any particular areas of sport that the university is particularly good at, if that makes sense haha?

Personally, I don't know anything about sports, but I know that the uni has a good GAA team!
No worries :smile:

Veterinary medicine, but I have had a change of heart and want go down the healthcare line with people, not sure what though :tongue:

as for sports: http://www.queenssport.com

Ah right that's cool!:smile: I've just got my offer today!! do you know if Belfast has a goodnight life?
Ah right that's cool!:smile: I've just got my offer today!! do you know if Belfast has a goodnight life?

Oh wow well done!!

Of course it does, they had a student party on the open days, it was crazy :rolleyes:

There's plenty of bars and pubs and clubs for you to party in, don't worry - I personally haven't been out, but anyone I've been talking to highly recommend it, they love it :smile:
Oh wow well done!!

Of course it does, they had a student party on the open days, it was crazy :rolleyes:

There's plenty of bars and pubs and clubs for you to party in, don't worry - I personally haven't been out, but anyone I've been talking to highly recommend it, they love it :smile:

Thanks it sounds really good! would you say its a safe city to live in?:smile:
Thanks it sounds really good! would you say its a safe city to live in?:smile:

So I'll try not to go into the whole past of Northern Ireland's troubles, but yes. I mean, compared to a lot of the places in the UK and despite the stereotypes around it, it is safe. Yes, you still get The odd riots, but honestly, it's a lot better than a lot of the places in the UK. For the amount of times I've been around NI, I thankfully have not experienced anything that would put me off living here. In fact, I really don't want to leave NI!
Please don't be put off by what you see in the news, NI and belfast seem to have a rep for this sort of stuff but IMO it's not as bad as people make it out to be :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending