The Student Room Group

Does every career get boring?

I want to go in to accounting, sort of worried it's boring, but then I think probably everything is boring after you do it everyday. I want to be enthusiastic towards working towards a goal career, but sometimes i think its kinda boring. As I'm doing a menial job at the moment with low pay, it seems like a better option in terms of pay. But I wondered if every job gets boring, as you are just doing the same thug every day. When I start my menial jobs I tend to be enthusiastic for about a week, and then I get abit bored of the job.
i don't think every job gets boring and i think more or less everyone goes through that faze where they feel like their life is dull but just make your job exciting
I think every job gets boring after a while - it's just one aspect of being an adult that you just acknowledge it and just appreciate that although it bores you to tears it also keeps a roof over your head. I was listening to an interview of a well known band quite recently and even they said they get bored of playing the same songs every night, night after night, month after month whilst they're touring. So even millionaires get bored of their jobs. At the end of the day, it's not called 'work' for nothing. Everyone just tries to find other things in life that gives them meaning and enjoyment - so long as your job pays the bills and doesn't make you ill then it's quite normal to not be overly enthusiastic about it.
Reply 3
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I think every job gets boring after a while - it's just one aspect of being an adult that you just acknowledge it and just appreciate that although it bores you to tears it also keeps a roof over your head. I was listening to an interview of a well known band quite recently and even they said they get bored of playing the same songs every night, night after night, month after month whilst they're touring. So even millionaires get bored of their jobs. At the end of the day, it's not called 'work' for nothing. Everyone just tries to find other things in life that gives them meaning and enjoyment - so long as your job pays the bills and doesn't make you ill then it's quite normal to not be overly enthusiastic about it.

yeah i guess so but we spend so much of our lives at work, it is almost our life, as when we get home we are tired and only really have time for dinner, then weekends fly by so quick. im worried about making the wrong career decision.
Original post by Pip123321
yeah i guess so but we spend so much of our lives at work, it is almost our life, as when we get home we are tired and only really have time for dinner, then weekends fly by so quick. im worried about making the wrong career decision.

I guess you can always change careers
Reply 5
Original post by plasmaman
I guess you can always change careers

yea but that means starting at the bottom again and probably having to study a degree or something, can be hard the older you get to change careers.
Not if you're a professional athlete or a famous tycoon or an actor or comedian slash TV personality. My point? Careers aren't supposed to be fun. People don't study, train and work long hours because it's fun and enjoyable. People do it because that's how life goes. You need to make a living for yourself and make money. Having a career provides financial security. It may drive you to extreme boredom and frustration, but it will provide you with the means to make a decent life for yourself. That's the reality of life. You have to find a way not to hate your job and not to hate your life. Immerse yourself in your hobbies, treat yourself and do things that you enjoy, and try to be passionate about your job and about your career. It's not that bad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pip123321
I want to go in to accounting, sort of worried it's boring, but then I think probably everything is boring after you do it everyday. I want to be enthusiastic towards working towards a goal career, but sometimes i think its kinda boring. As I'm doing a menial job at the moment with low pay, it seems like a better option in terms of pay. But I wondered if every job gets boring, as you are just doing the same thug every day. When I start my menial jobs I tend to be enthusiastic for about a week, and then I get abit bored of the job.

There are ways to make it less boring without having to be a rock star, mostly by getting a job where you do lots of different things. Although I have an office job, I spend some of my day meeting people, some emailing, some working on data, some working on different projects here and there. I also have a good workplace where we have different events here and there to break up the day - team lunches, celebrating birthdays, guest speakers etc. So if I get bored, it's usually only until I finish that specific task and there's often something to look forward to, whether it's a bit of workplace fun, or a task I particularly enjoy. Whereas I imagine a job such as in a call centre would get boring much more easily as you are repeating the same task all day every day.

I imagine it's the same in accounting - at a low level you could be doing something quite monotonous all day, but as you progress you would likely be breaking that up with meetings, project work, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending