The Student Room Group

help!

hey guys!!
i take english lit for AS but i have a feeling i wont pass this subject if i dont start working hard right now!

can you please give me some tips on how to get an A for english lit i really want to start working hard now! i would really appreciate your advice thank you!
I got forced to study english lit and didn't actually get off my ass until just before mocks, went from a U to a B in mocks and in the real exam I got an A
I read through all the books (helped so much more that I enjoyed the exam texts) and literally annotated everything
unfortunately after my mocks, my mum accidentally gave away all my texts to charity (couldn't find them to buy back) and i went the rest of the year revising without a copy of the texts so i ended up writing out a list of common and short quotes i could remember and wrote out 10 critic quotes to memories.
I kept a notebook, about 4 pages of quotes to do with each character, then pages on context, pages on critics.
getting the york notes revision guides for your texts are also particularly helpful
My teacher also told me that if you're given an exam question about a character, it's helpful to write about the themes in paragraphs to do with the character, if you're given a theme question write about charaters per paragraph to do with the theme.

for poetry, annotate all the poems, gather as much context and then memorise short quotes across the poems that are easy to link.
also for annotating, my teachers said write a long-medium sized ish quote and then pick out short quotes within that to embed and comment/analyse on

you can definitely pass :biggrin:
I spent the first term determined to drop it, argued with all my teachers and never did any work or attended lessons till I had to admit that they were never gonna let me drop it so I cracked on

I believe till just before my mocks, my eng teacher said to me "a GCSE student writes better than you."
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by selenerrr__x
I got forced to study english lit and didn't actually get off my ass until just before mocks, went from a U to a B in mocks and in the real exam I got an A
I read through all the books (helped so much more that I enjoyed the exam texts) and literally annotated everything
unfortunately after my mocks, my mum accidentally gave away all my texts to charity (couldn't find them to buy back) and i went the rest of the year revising without a copy of the texts so i ended up writing out a list of common and short quotes i could remember and wrote out 10 critic quotes to memories.
I kept a notebook, about 4 pages of quotes to do with each character, then pages on context, pages on critics.
getting the york notes revision guides for your texts are also particularly helpful
My teacher also told me that if you're given an exam question about a character, it's helpful to write about the themes in paragraphs to do with the character, if you're given a theme question write about charaters per paragraph to do with the theme.

for poetry, annotate all the poems, gather as much context and then memorise short quotes across the poems that are easy to link.
also for annotating, my teachers said write a long-medium sized ish quote and then pick out short quotes within that to embed and comment/analyse on

you can definitely pass :biggrin:
I spent the first term determined to drop it, argued with all my teachers and never did any work or attended lessons till I had to admit that they were never gonna let me drop it so I cracked on.

Can't fault this advice :smile:
Original post by CescaD96
Can't fault this advice :smile:

Why thank you :biggrin:
Oh I also found it really useful in the end that my mum gave away my books (although I was super angry :tongue:), if you stop using your texts after mocks it'll force you to memorise lots of quotes and the plot off by heart
Reply 5
Why thank you :biggrin:

It's exactly what I did (except I still had my books after my mocks.) Were you allowed any texts into the exam? I was only allowed my poems in AS.
It's exactly what I did (except I still had my books after my mocks.) Were you allowed any texts into the exam? I was only allowed my poems in AS.

I did OCR so no texts at all except poetry and they'd only give you the one poem for the one question set. The prose had two questions to pick from
I did pretty well considering I really hated eng lit, went from below GCSE standard to one of the top grades ^_^
Reply 7
I did OCR so no texts at all except poetry and they'd only give you the one poem for the one question set. The prose had two questions to pick from
I did pretty well considering I really hated eng lit, went from below GCSE standard to one of the top grades ^_^

I'm CCEA so we were allowed our poems, but there was no choice of question. For my novel there was a choice from 2 but no text. At A2, no text at all.
I'm CCEA so we were allowed our poems, but there was no choice of question. For my novel there was a choice from 2 but no text. At A2, no text at all.

ahaha I just dropped A2 about a week ago, despite many protests that I got a good grades and was good at english, the teachers all hate me and are super angry because I've been ditching their lessons and I really despise one of the set texts this year so I've done absolutely nothing for it.
Reply 9
ahaha I just dropped A2 about a week ago, despite many protests that I got a good grades and was good at english, the teachers all hate me and are super angry because I've been ditching their lessons and I really despise one of the set texts this year so I've done absolutely nothing for it.

I wanted to drop but my father wouldn't sign the form :frown: I hate all the texts bar 2, but my teachers do like me a lot, and I am on an A.

Quick Reply

Latest