The Student Room Group

What Literary Devices Should I Look Out For In The Texts?

I'm doing my mock GCSE English Language and just wondered what to look out for in the texts, and perhaps what to use myself.

E.g. Metaphors, sibilance, alliteration, juxtaposition...

which ones are less obvious and will make my work stand out more if I include them?
Original post by aadil10
I'm doing my mock GCSE English Language and just wondered what to look out for in the texts, and perhaps what to use myself.

which ones are less obvious and will make my work stand out more if I include them?

Off of the top of my head- hyperbole, onomatopoeia, oxymorons, rhetorical questions, imagery, rhythm, rhyming, symbolism...

The list is endless! I would search for a 'list of literary devices' and see what comes up. Try and learn some. There are plenty and I'm sure you'll find many, which you'll be able to use! Good luck. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by karmacrunch
Off of the top of my head- hyperbole, onomatopoeia, oxymorons, rhetorical questions, imagery, rhythm, rhyming, symbolism...

The list is endless! I would search for a 'list of literary devices' and see what comes up. Try and learn some. There are plenty and I'm sure you'll find many, which you'll be able to use! Good luck. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm oxymoron, that sounds unusual :biggrin: I think I shall try to include this :P
Original post by aadil10
hmm oxymoron, that sounds unusual :biggrin: I think I shall try to include this :P

I'd only use it if it's relevant though. :mmm:

E.g. If the person talks about something being 'bittersweet'... That's oxymoronic!

Oxymoron- a figure of speech in which appears contradictory (bitter + sweet) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by karmacrunch
I'd only use it if it's relevant though. :mmm:

E.g. If the person talks about something being 'bittersweet'... That's oxymoronic!

Oxymoron- a figure of speech in which appears contradictory (bitter + sweet) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will find a way to fit it in :biggrin:
Original post by aadil10

Some things:

Connotations
Semantic fields
Alliteration
Juxtaposition
Metaphors
Similes
Rhythm
Oxymorons
Jargon
Lists
Rhetorical questions
Plosives
Fricatives
Sibilance
Hyperbole
Repetition
Imperatives/commands
Personification
Statistics and opinions

That's all I can think of - the list is endless, though. Remember, you should also link these techniques back to language and connotations: this is what will get you the higher marks in the paper. Mention the technique, the effect, talk about the connotations of the words used within the technique and link this to an alternative effect.

Hope it helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aadil10

Directive language, hyperbole, similies,facts, opinions

You should go on Mr bruff on youtube- He is soo good and will guide you on what to write for every question.
Original post by aadil10

an example of an oxymoron: "parting is such sweet sorrow"
Original post by German123
Directive language, hyperbole, similies,facts, opinions

You should go on Mr bruff on youtube- He is soo good and will guide you on what to write for every question.

I think Mr Bruff is very basic and generalised. His effects are 'it makes it memorable', for example, which are unspecific and don't allow you to go beyond Band 2 (by real examiner standards). Use him, but I'd definitely not rely on him to learn the technique.

Also, I can't reply to you: your inbox is full

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
I think Mr Bruff is very basic and generalised. His effects are 'it makes it memorable', for example, which are unspecific and don't allow you to go beyond Band 2 (by real examiner standards). Use him, but I'd definitely not rely on him to learn the technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cool:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have used Mr Bruff before and already did my English GCSE
Original post by German123
I have used Mr Bruff before and already did my English GCSE

He's too simplistic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's too simplistic :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh....i never saw it that way. Anyway i have deleted some of my Msgs so you can PM me if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending