The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alis-volatpropriis
Its such a dry module.. Lord God.. the struggle to keep myself awake in the 2 hours lecture is horrible! The lecturer talks very softly.. its like listening to some ASMR tape.. it just completely puts me to sleep, or creates a WW3 if im sitting at the front and have to battle with my eyelids to keep them open lol.

It really is, I indeed applied and signed a contract with the store im currently working at, there is however this clause in the contract,

'You will be based at the store location specified however, please note that you may be required (either on
a temporary or permanent basis) to work at a different
CPW store location (including CPW stores within Currys /
PC world stores) within a reasonable travelling distance of your base location. The Company shall give you
reasonable notice of any such change to your store
location and your employment is conditional upon you
consenting to this clause.'

In other words, I'll be fired if I don't consent, if the transfer goes ahead. However, there is no mention of them being able to transfer me within 50 miles in the contract like my manager mentioned, it just says a reasonable distance.. its not reasonable to move someone to a flagship store when they're only 2 weeks into the company.
The first 3 months is my probation period right now. I'm already looking for another job, because nothing is legitimate about the business, the way they deceive and manipulate customer's is crazy..

Yeah I liked the fact that me and all my friends were doing policing and had the same tutorial which was better.
But it was dull. And I just sat on my laptop watching epic fail videos on Youtube. Ahh I'm going to have such fond memories of uni when I graduate.

The key word is reasonable. And I agree. It's not reasonable for them to do that. if you insist on it, ask a tutor at university if there's anything you could do here.

Carphone Warehouse take the piss imo. Got a crap phone they kept telling me was amazing. I was too broke to afford anything else haha.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Yeah I liked the fact that me and all my friends were doing policing and had the same tutorial which was better.
But it was dull. And I just sat on my laptop watching epic fail videos on Youtube. Ahh I'm going to have such fond memories of uni when I graduate.

The key word is reasonable. And I agree. It's not reasonable for them to do that. if you insist on it, ask a tutor at university if there's anything you could do here.

Carphone Warehouse take the piss imo. Got a crap phone they kept telling me was amazing. I was too broke to afford anything else haha.

Lol, epic fail videos are soo funny. Hmm.. I didn't think of that, thank you. I'll tell me tutor about it and get her opinion.

CPW really do take the piss, they deceive customer's just to make commission off their sales, all in the name of doing 'whats best for the business'. On my first shift, a colleague told me, 'There is nothing legitimate about Carphone Warehouse don't think you'll be doing good for the customer'. I was shocked..
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
I am going to start tomorrow, i'm going to have stake for dinner, tidy my room, play loud music, then from tomorrow till January, focus. Last year I had a month to learn 120 lectures worth of information, and to do that I had to get up at 3am every morning, have a nap in the afternoon and go to bed at 10, but as long as I do well I don't care how I do it!

I am going to, my room mate just told me that if it was him he'd tell her that if she didn't trust him he'd just par her off, but I rather take the chance, plus I genuinely believe that after 2 bad break ups it was hard for her :frown: Thank you though! are you a girl?

I'd probably take the chance too! To be fair, I think I'm giving pretty heavy signals to a friend of mine, but she doesn't seem to get them. And I'm way too chicken to just come out and tell her I like her. :colonhash: Ah well, I enjoy getting to know her better, though.

Yeah, I am! I can be pretty hard for someone after two bad break ups. I had a horrendous breakup once and it took me three years to properly open up again to someone and actually believe I could have a future with them! (which then also crumbled to pieces, but... I'm fine with it. I'm actually glad it didn't work out now)
Am currently pulling an all-nighter. Does anyone have a few tips on how to confront a flatmate about partying without seeming dickish? Also the guy makes me kinda uncomfortable, but his loud music is keeping me and my neighbour awake. Sometimes at four in the morning.

The reason I ask, is that like most of you, I have exams coming up, and I would like to make sure that I can sleep the night before.

(P.S: I do use headphones to sleep, and sometimes the music travels because of the bass, so they don't help much.)
Original post by Diary of madness
Am currently pulling an all-nighter. Does anyone have a few tips on how to confront a flatmate about partying without seeming dickish? Also the guy makes me kinda uncomfortable, but his loud music is keeping me and my neighbour awake. Sometimes at four in the morning.

The reason I ask, is that like most of you, I have exams coming up, and I would like to make sure that I can sleep the night before.

(P.S: I do use headphones to sleep, and sometimes the music travels because of the bass, so they don't help much.)

I'd just be direct about it. Just tell him you've got exams coming up and it'd be great if he didn't throw excessive parties at your place for a while, but instead he ought to go out or to other people's flats. And if he is just listening loudly to music, throw headphones at him and tell him to listen to music through the ****ing headphones.

Actually, that sounds a little too aggressive of an approach.. maybe just ask him to be considerate and keep it down because he's keeping you and other people awake. I don't know, really. I haven't lived with anyone in over a year now.
Exam today :ahhhhh:

Just to butt in on your carphone warehouse problems.. the thing about 'reasonable' travelling distance is it's a completely grey area. You can therefore argue that it is not reasonable for you to go to a store much further away. So be prepared to fight your corner and don't bow down to them just because they're your employer.

I have the same clause in my contract but they actually treat me properly. Some of my colleagues do mammouth journeys to stores to help cover sickness etc but they drive so it's easy, and they're happy to. I however am limited in where I can work because of the bus etc. They soon were reasonable about that once they realised they couldn't take the piddle with me.

Carphone might not be so reasonable but just don't take any crap ok!
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Exam today :ahhhhh:

Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeyondandAbove
I'd probably take the chance too! To be fair, I think I'm giving pretty heavy signals to a friend of mine, but she doesn't seem to get them. And I'm way too chicken to just come out and tell her I like her. :colonhash: Ah well, I enjoy getting to know her better, though.

Yeah, I am! I can be pretty hard for someone after two bad break ups. I had a horrendous breakup once and it took me three years to properly open up again to someone and actually believe I could have a future with them! (which then also crumbled to pieces, but... I'm fine with it. I'm actually glad it didn't work out now)

Maybe just tell her but wait for a good moment to do so, I told the girl I like when I was sobering up after a night out :redface:

Alright cool! Yes I realised that is the case unfortunately, I just hope she trust me sooner rather than later:rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Maybe just tell her but wait for a good moment to do so, like told the girl I like when I was sobering up after a night out :redface:

Alright cool! Yes I realised that is the case unfortunately, I just hope she trust me sooner rather than later:rolleyes:

The only way I could ever tell her directly is drunk. :colonhash: So I guess that'd be a good moment haha. Not. I wish I had your guts.

I'm sure she will! (:

It's way too early to be in uni, but I'm an hour early for class... sooooo I guess it's study time. :woo: :colonhash:
Original post by rayquaza17

Thank you :redface:
I'd just be direct about it. Just tell him you've got exams coming up and it'd be great if he didn't throw excessive parties at your place for a while, but instead he ought to go out or to other people's flats. And if he is just listening loudly to music, throw headphones at him and tell him to listen to music through the ****ing headphones.

Actually, that sounds a little too aggressive of an approach.. maybe just ask him to be considerate and keep it down because he's keeping you and other people awake. I don't know, really. I haven't lived with anyone in over a year now.

I think I am going to ask him to stop with the music after midnight, thank you.
The only way I could ever tell her directly is drunk. :colonhash: So I guess that'd be a good moment haha. Not. I wish I had your guts.

I'm sure she will! (:

It's way too early to be in uni, but I'm an hour early for class... sooooo I guess it's study time. :woo: :colonhash:

I was a mixture of guts and the fact that it was eating away at me, knowing that I liked her and she didn't actually know :frown:

I hope so :redface:

Have to start studying today or I'm pretty sure I am going to fail my second year January exams, and some of them are pretty high percentages of the modules marks too!
I'm getting stressed about the amount I have to do over the next few weeks so naturally my body is trying to make sure I can't function at my best.
First assessed coursework back, 100%, now I just need to maintain this for the next 3
Good news! My January exams are 5 days apart!
Bad news. The one that requires more revision is the second exam. Anything revised before the first exam most likely to be forgotten. Damn. Well, 5 days to try my best!
Saw a guy dragging a puppy about the street earlier, shouting at it and lifting it up by the collar :frown: I just stood and stared with a look of utter disgust on my face, the guy noticed, then proceeded to shout abuse at me. Absolute scumbag. Naturally this was at 1pm so the likelihood of that thing having a job is about 1%. ****ing hate people, I wish I would have said more to it tbh.

Seriously, the amount of utter ****ers about recently is ridiculous. In work there was a three man fight which I had to help break up as the bouncers took far too ****ing long. Like seriously, had an ice bucket in 1 hand and dragged the guy who was beating the **** out of some lad out of the fight by his collar with the other and held him there until the bouncer eventually came and asked "is it him?" Well naw, I'm hardly gonna hold a random customer by the scruff of his neck for the craic. Jesus. Wish I wouldn't have had the ice bucket or I would have taken him out myself.
Lol, epic fail videos are soo funny. Hmm.. I didn't think of that, thank you. I'll tell me tutor about it and get her opinion.

CPW really do take the piss, they deceive customer's just to make commission off their sales, all in the name of doing 'whats best for the business'. On my first shift, a colleague told me, 'There is nothing legitimate about Carphone Warehouse don't think you'll be doing good for the customer'. I was shocked..

Not surprised. The workers always look miserable too!

Original post by snailsareslimy
Saw a guy dragging a puppy about the street earlier, shouting at it and lifting it up by the collar :frown: I just stood and stared with a look of utter disgust on my face, the guy noticed, then proceeded to shout abuse at me. Absolute scumbag. Naturally this was at 1pm so the likelihood of that thing having a job is about 1%. ****ing hate people, I wish I would have said more to it tbh.

Seriously, the amount of utter ****ers about recently is ridiculous. In work there was a three man fight which I had to help break up as the bouncers took far too ****ing long. Like seriously, had an ice bucket in 1 hand and dragged the guy who was beating the **** out of some lad out of the fight by his collar with the other and held him there until the bouncer eventually came and asked "is it him?" Well naw, I'm hardly gonna hold a random customer by the scruff of his neck for the craic. Jesus. Wish I wouldn't have had the ice bucket or I would have taken him out myself.

Urgh I see so many of these kinds of people in my hometown. Thankfully my Uni is in a nicer town and in the nicer area so I usually don't have to see people like this. I once saw a man kick a baby duck and he walked away laughing.
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Just to butt in on your carphone warehouse problems.. the thing about 'reasonable' travelling distance is it's a completely grey area. You can therefore argue that it is not reasonable for you to go to a store much further away. So be prepared to fight your corner and don't bow down to them just because they're your employer.

I have the same clause in my contract but they actually treat me properly. Some of my colleagues do mammouth journeys to stores to help cover sickness etc but they drive so it's easy, and they're happy to. I however am limited in where I can work because of the bus etc. They soon were reasonable about that once they realised they couldn't take the piddle with me.

Carphone might not be so reasonable but just don't take any crap ok!

Its fine! Thanks for the advice! I was not going to give in at all. I'll definitely be using your advice. So if the transfer does go ahead (still waiting on news), if I decline, would they be able to just terminate my employment? I'm not really sure, because my manager said 'you would have consent if you want to continue to be employed'.
Going to have a meeting with the lecturer about my summer project tomorrow - I'm really nervous!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending