The Student Room Group

AS Level English Language - Can somebody please explain the Frameworks?

I started my AS course this September, and for the first 1 and a half months we focused on the coursework aspect of the course. Right now we've moved on the learning all of the exam content- categorizing texts and language and power and gender.

I'm struggling with getting the grasp of the Frameworks- Lexis, Semantics, Pragmatics, Discourse, Grammar, Phonology and Graphology. It's the first four that I'm struggling with, would anyone we able to explain what each of the frameworks are and all the linguistic features within them? Thank you, all your help will be much appreciated!
Hey, I can do my best to help, I'm also taking Lang and really understand and enjoy it but I don't know how good I will be at explaining stuff. I can do my best though.

Thats a really broad area that you want to cover, so it may be easier if you break it down and we could go over it over time? It may help if you don't try and understand it all at once.

Can we private message?

SF
Original post by shadowfeathers
Hey, I can do my best to help, I'm also taking Lang and really understand and enjoy it but I don't know how good I will be at explaining stuff. I can do my best though.

Thats a really broad area that you want to cover, so it may be easier if you break it down and we could go over it over time? It may help if you don't try and understand it all at once.

Can we private message?

SF

Sure! Thanks for offering to help, I'm sure I will be able to understand your explaining and you can PM me no worries :smile: I will have to check back later though because right now I need to write an essay for one of my other subjects :smile:
Of course, good luck with that, and I have Psychology work to do anyway:smile:

Talk to you later
You too :smile:
Original post by shadowfeathers
Of course, good luck with that, and I have Psychology work to do anyway:smile:

Talk to you later

You too :smile:
The topic is a bit hard to fit everything in but I'll try explain it a bit.

Lexis is about words and the word choices used, so things like groups of the same words and why a simpler word may be chosen over a more complex one. It also includes things like contrast, onomatopoeia and word classes (this can come under lexis and grammar depending on how you use it).
Semantics is to do with the meaning of word so might include metaphors or euphemism.
Grammar is syntax (word order), word classes and morphology (what makes up words, like inflections). It also involves sentence types and sentence purposes. It's rather big, I'd focus on this one.
Discourse is how the sentences are put together, for example turn taking in a conversation.
Pragmatics is to do with the context that it's produced in, such as politeness strategies, the speakers or the culture of the times.
Phonology is all to do with pronunciation and sound.
Graphology is to do with how it looks, like pictures, but we were told not to focus on it.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Thats a really good explanation, though I would argue that graphology is pretty important and is worth mentioning, even if its not something you focus as much as the others.
For example, the graphology of a perfume advert and the graphology of a radio times article is hugely different, and designed so to suit and appeal to the target audiences and it is interlinked with the other areas. The factors that influence the graphology also influence the grammar, lexis etc...
Reply 8
lexis means the words and the types of words, semantics is the meaning of words and why they are there,
Think of a box. Semantics, and the semantic field is the outside of the box. Everything in the box is lexis.
Which exam board?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending