The Student Room Group

Two year old accidentally shoots his mother dead

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bertstare
Considering the 300 million+ guns in America, and the amount of those guns which discharge and accidentally kill someone each year (hint:it's not very many), an isolated incident is exactly what they are.

Hey it's the USA guns are money, life is cheap, they value money more than they do life. Most western democracies do not allow their citizens to bear arms and I certainly don't feel the need to have to walk around anywhere in Europe armed. If civilians feel they need to be armed then there is something radically wrong within the society they live in - adding more guns to the equation will solve nothing except more loss of life.

I ask what sort of country freely allows people with serious mental health problems to go into a store and buy military style weaponry and then go into a cinema and slaughter innocent kids?! Imagine if you were the parents of those kids and it was your own government who was complicit in the murder of your child because the gun lobby is so strong and powerful it prevented your government from introducing laws to prevent the carrying of weapons...

Then getting on to the accidents themselves - toddlers shooting parents, children shooting their siblings, etc. Tell me, what exactly is this gun defending you against, and how? If someone has young children, in theory their gun ought to be locked up properly, in which case if somebody breaks into the house, the owner cannot get to the gun in time in order for it to be of any use.
On the contrary, if the gun is not stored securely, a young child could inadvertently get hold of it.
So the point of the gun is null and void.

American gun owners claim that guns are defence against other people with guns who may attack them, but if people weren't so freely able to own guns, would-be attackers wouldn't have guns in the first place.

The only people in society who should carry arms are those whose job it is to protect us, the armed police and the military.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

The only people in society who should carry arms are those whose job it is to protect us, the armed police and the military.

Didn't read most of your post but this last sentence is quite amusing. So when you're in danger, you call men with guns to come protect you who will show up long after a crime has occurred. 10/10 logic and reasoning would read again

Also, most European countries let their citizens own guns. Fact of the day
I assume the standard TSR response to this would be to "ban all guns".

Original post by Adeel Ali
Stupid ****ing America.
People should NOT be allowed guns.

Original post by Reluire
Unbelievably devastating. It's quite hard to process that a 2 year old was actually able to shoot dead his mother. Just terrible - and that boy is going to have to grow up with that burden on him for the rest of his life.

Another case in a long line of others showing why gun control is needed in America. A 2 year old should never have been able to touch a real gun, let alone pull the trigger.

Why? And how?

A case like this does not suddenly strengthen or support the idea that further gun control is needed, or the idea that people should not be allowed guns (it isn't even possible to enforce that). Here, it's the irresponsibility of the parent for carrying the firearm in her purse.
I imagine that will be pretty traumatising to find out about when the child grows up. But I hope its emphasised that it's not really the childs fault. the baby should have never had access to the weapon,
It's at times like these where America looks as backwards as the Middle East...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't read most of your post but this last sentence is quite amusing. So when you're in danger, you call men with guns to come protect you who will show up long after a crime has occurred. 10/10 logic and reasoning would read again

Also, most European countries let their citizens own guns. Fact of the day

All EU countries prohibit the ownership of pistols and revolvers, except in very special circumstances.

They also restrict possession of all other firearms to people who woudn't carry them loaded in a handbag, with presumably a round already chambered.

Lets face it, your average joe, even in a coutry like the US isn't going to be trained or know overly that much about guns, other than you pull the trigger to fire it. To carry one for 'defense purposes' or 'because you can' is incredibly dangerous.

Because they carried out their massacres in gun free zones, cheers for proving my point. Plenty of shootings/acts of violence are stopped by legal concealed carry holders in America, you just won't hear about them in the news specifically because no innocent people died, so it isn't a worthy news story

As opposed to... not happening at all? Your logic is so crap I don't know where to start. You sound like a person who will cling to any argument, no matter how stupid in order to further their agenda.

Although these starts are not corrected for population and so aren't representative of per capita shootings, China, India, Russia and Japan are on that list and account for 19%, 17.4%, 2% and 1.8% of world population respectively, compared to America's 4.4%.
(edited 9 years ago)
You should have let me have cookies at bedtime ma!
Which will surely stop once the shooters have an even better guarantee that they will not meet any armed resistance till the police show up 15 minutes later...

Right? Right???

Just leave
Didn't read most of your post

then you can't possibly be serious about debating this, so I'm moving on.
Reply 29
If only the woman had a second gun, she could have taken out the offending toddler and justice would have prevailed. Guns woo! USA USA USA.
Reply 30
It's games like GTA that are to blame.

It encourages children to shoot their parents to gain 'coins' which can be used to level up 'swag'. This means that eventually they will be able to take on the Covenant and rule over Thedas.
A lot of people assumed the mother was trailer trash but apparently she is a nuclear scientist: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891673/Police-Boy-2-accidentally-kills-mom-Wal-Mart.html
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
then you can't possibly be serious about debating this, so I'm moving on.

Rubbish emotional arguments, heard them all before, not even worth responding to
Original post by Pegasus2
All EU countries prohibit the ownership of pistols and revolvers, except in very special circumstances.

They also restrict possession of all other firearms to people who woudn't carry them loaded in a handbag, with presumably a round already chambered.

As opposed to... not happening at all? Your logic is so crap I don't know where to start. You sound like a person who will cling to any argument, no matter how stupid in order to further their agenda.

You can own pistols and semi autos in multiple EU countries. Hell, you can own shotguns and single shot rifles here in the UK with a FAC which is not difficult to get provided you aren't a felon.

Face it, your argument rides on nothing but visceral, emotional responses to what are isolated incidents of violence. We know that the vast majority of shootings happen in areas where guns are explicitly banned, which just further points out how idiotic your ideas of total gun bans are. We know that America has hundreds of millions of firearms in circulation and a shared unregulated border with Mexico, making acquisition of firearms for criminals an absolute cakewalk, meaning that the only people affected by gun bans are regular citizens who end up unarmed and defenseless in the face of an armed criminal populace. We know that murder in America has plummeted in recent years, with states that introduced CCW laws specifically seeing large drops in not only murder, but other acts of violent crime such as rape and robbery.

We even know that outside of America, your "more guns = more crime" delusion is a crock of absolute horse****. Switzerland, Norway, Austria, Sweden, France, Germany, Italy are examples of countries close to home which have far higher gun ownership rates than the UK, and guess what? They have lower violent crime and homicide rates than we do here.

Try and look at the facts and reality of the situation, and really ask yourself if forcing millions of law abiding gun owners to hand in their weapons will really make society any safer, then, perhaps you will not be so misinformed
(edited 9 years ago)
One thing I've come to realise is that arguing with people who support gun ownership in its current form in the United States is almost like arguing with a religious person.

No matter how much reason or facts you use in your argument they will stubbornly stick to their ridiculous dogma.
Rubbish emotional arguments, heard them all before, not even worth responding to

Ah I see you have the skill of "making assumptions about something without actually having read it".

Glad we cleared that up.

Gotta say though, you're not making yourself look intelligent.
Original post by looseseal
One thing I've come to realise is that arguing with people who support gun ownership in its current form in the United States is almost like arguing with a religious person.

No matter how much reason or facts you use in your argument they will stubbornly stick to their ridiculous dogma.

Just letting you know that you've got it exactly 100% the wrong way round
Reply 37
Just letting you know that you've got it exactly 100% the wrong way round

No by my estimations he got it 100% the right way around.
Reply 38
Original post by looseseal

'But But the bill of rights says its our right so who cares about lives'
Reply 39
Original post by GodAtum
A lot of people assumed the mother was trailer trash but apparently she is a nuclear scientist: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2891673/Police-Boy-2-accidentally-kills-mom-Wal-Mart.html

Yet she didn't have the wit to keep gun and child separate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending