The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RainbowVeins
You are certainly right :smile: Our reasonings aren't incompatible though - because everyone applied has high UMS but not everyone will perform well at tripos, therefore UMS isn't a good indicator. Although the high UMS situation may be more appropriately applied to medicine.

Are you a maths applicant? :smile:

Exactly! I wasn't disagreeing with you, just broadening the point if anything :smile: I am indeed - to St John's! Not very hopeful though... Can't help but think there are 20-30+ better applicants out there! Just have to expect the worst and hope for the best! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex_Aits
Exactly! I wasn't disagreeing with you, just broadening the point if anything :smile: I am indeed - to St John's! Not very hopeful though... Can't help but think there are 20-30+ better applicants out there! Just have to expect the worst and hope for the best! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck my fellow mathmo!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw a lot of complaints by people about how they would feel being pooled to certain colleges; IMO I just want to go to Cambridge so I don't understand why you would be "fuming" to get a place in any college.

Someone care to elaborate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doomlar
I saw a lot of complaints by people about how they would feel being pooled to certain colleges; IMO I just want to go to Cambridge so I don't understand why you would be "fuming" to get a place in any college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well idk. If I got one offer to go and live in Durham ****ing castle, and the other was to live in the eye-sore that is Fitzwilliam, I'm not sure what I'd do.

In all seriousness, I'd go if they offered me a public toilet as my college, for the teaching. But I'd be a little bit miffed (but only miffed) if I got into an ugly college. Either way I'd lick their boots for an offer.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1420356285.681890.jpg

Just in case anyone wanted this for reference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh! Why'd they have to change the system. :frown:. I'm too impatient for this.
Original post by Jessb_3125
True!!

sorry what is auto-pooling?
Original post by YvT1
since i am living outside the uk i was wondering whether i could send them an email and kindly asked them to send me the answer via email so i don't have to wait another 3-7 days until the letter comes.. do u think that i might annoy them by asking them to do so?

Hi
I'm an international applicant from kenya applying to St.johns for compsci
I just sent them an email requesting the decision letter to be emailed to me.
I'm waiting to hear from them this week.
Original post by maya_fooks
sorry what is auto-pooling?

If your average UMS is above a certain value (I think it's 93%), Colleges are strongly advised (pretty much required) to put you into the Winter Pool.
Original post by ItsWhiteHat
If your average UMS is above a certain value (I think it's 93%), Colleges are strongly advised (pretty much required) to put you into the Winter Pool.

so if my average ums is 97% and i've applied for PBS i will probably have been put in the pool?
Original post by maya_fooks
so if my average ums is 97% and i've applied for PBS i will probably have been put in the pool?

Well if you got an offer, pool is not required. However, if they found you were not suitable for the college, yes, you will be put into the pool for other colleges to fish you out (if they do).
Original post by Alex_Aits

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the most sensible way to see it tbh :smile: Anyway good luck! :smile:
Reply 72
Didn't notice a MK III had been made :eek:

Thank god I don't have to see that poll anymore.
Original post by Navo D.
Didn't notice a MK III had been made :eek:

Thank god I don't have to see that poll anymore.

:rofl:
Yeah same
I'm kind of over the Cambridge thing since I applied , had an interview , and now I may or may not get an offer but there's plenty of other good unis in the UK, where you might end up having more fun due to a lower workload (for natsci at Cambridge vs a single science at other unis at least)...but having said that, I will be pretty anxious from Wednesday onwards lol :colone:

Also, although I'd love to get into the college I applied to, I wouldn't mind going to another if its Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 75
:rofl:
Yeah same

the 99+ actually went up from 80 to 90 something in a week lmao

anyway, just under a week now! Maybe once school starts again my mind will stop drifting to thoughts of the 10th...
Reply 76
I'm an international applicant and was wondering whether the decision letters will be sent to us via email on the 9th itself or do we have to wait till the letter arrives? :confused:
What does the asterisk mean on the list of applicants? There's one beside my username
Original post by Doomlar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a clue tbh. As much as I say, bleurgh Churchill. If I was pooled and fished there, I'd be very grateful.

And also laugh, because it's funny.

They're looking at our files now in the pool ooooh, right at this moment
Reply 79
What does the asterisk mean on the list of applicants? There's one beside my username

Where did you see the list o.o

Latest

Trending

Trending