The Student Room Group

i have no idea how clearing works - HELP!

what do i need for clearing day? all i know is the universities i want to apply for (brighton, sussex, nottingham trent). i don't know anything about accommodation, i haven't even looked at accommodation for my firm choice. do i have to pick it on results day?

also, i want to get into brighton mainly, how do i contact them on results day for a clearing place? how to i contact the other 2 choices?

so many questions, im just really nervous and i don't feel prepared. please help!
Original post by wkathryn17
what do i need for clearing day? all i know is the universities i want to apply for (brighton, sussex, nottingham trent). i don't know anything about accommodation, i haven't even looked at accommodation for my firm choice. do i have to pick it on results day?

also, i want to get into brighton mainly, how do i contact them on results day for a clearing place? how to i contact the other 2 choices?

so many questions, im just really nervous and i don't feel prepared. please help!

Helloooo :hello:

I'd have a look at the big FAQ here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7375264

It puts it far better than anyone else could (well, maybe not MR because he wrote the thing :lol:). Have a read and see if it puts you at ease, then we can try and fill in the gaps! :yep:

Have you got a firm and insurance choice at the moment, or were you planning to apply just through Clearing as a late applicant? :smile:
Reply 2
thanks so much for this!

I have my firm and insurance, i went through the entire process and then in the last week i realised 1) i prolly won't get the grades for either and 2) i dont even really want to go to those places.

i do have another question, how quickly do clearing places fill up on results morning? is it really a race to get onto the phone lines early as i have seen people say?
thanks so much for this!

I have my firm and insurance, i went through the entire process and then in the last week i realised 1) i prolly won't get the grades for either and 2) i dont even really want to go to those places.

i do have another question, how quickly do clearing places fill up on results morning? is it really a race to get onto the phone lines early as i have seen people say?

This will vary between universities and courses. Some will fill up within hours, some dont get filled. As an example I seem to recall last year Queen Mary had filled Law by 10am. It depends on how many spaces a place has and the numbers looking to fill them
thanks so much for this!

Ok, definitely in the next week start making a list of a few alternative unis that you'd like to go to, whose usual entry requirements are the grades you think you might get (and to be on the safe side, maybe some with slightly lower requirements as well). Then try and come up with a ranking so you know what order you'll be calling them in, depending on what your grades are. For accommodation you'd need to look directly at university websites, though unis that use Clearing quite heavily are more likely to not assign accommodation until after results day when they know who's coming. But try and find this info from the uni websites. While it really depends on the course and the uni how quickly the places will go, the more preparation you do beforehand, the quicker you'll be able to make decisions on the day.

Of course if you're having doubts about going to your firm/insurance, you could also look at other unis that require similar grades, just in case you meet your offer but want to look for a more appealing course/uni in Clearing.

Don't forget as well that the TSR Clearing and Applications Advisers will be here all day on results day to give you all the help you may need :yep:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending