The Student Room Group

Exeter medical school applicants 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mutleybm1996
To what sort of 'lucrative careers' are you referring?
I must admit that is does annoy me when you see the government almost contradicting themselves by not increasing the number of places or reducing the number of hoops required. I have quite a few friends who would succeed in Medicine but chose to do Maths, Computer Science etc...oh well! It's not an easy degree to get into either, the application process is a complete Mare, with people all surging to go to Cambridge and the like without realising that no-one gives two stuffs which university you graduated from at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely anything that involves people skills/communication.

Doctor recruitment-wise they might start to care where you graduate from in the future as the GMC are beginning to publish rankings for graduates' perceived preparedness for practice as F1s and Cambridge currently come last!
Original post by erudite
I'm so stressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exeter was gonna be my firm choice, but now I'm being told I need A*AA even though I have ABBC at AS and is that impossible?

Also i didn't know they had UKCAT cutoffs, I got 700! Is that going to be enough?

Are you resting some AS modules ?
Original post by Dr Gin

Doctor recruitment-wise they might start to care where you graduate from in the future as the GMC are beginning to publish rankings for graduates' perceived preparedness for practice as F1s and Cambridge currently come last!

Could you possibly link the document stating that Cambridge are last? I have a fiend who is rather..how shall I put it...Cambridge-superiority complex 4 offers already sort of person and would really quite like to how him this to be honest with you.
How much work experience must you do to go to medical school?? I'm just really keen and curious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diana99
How much work experience must you do to go to medical school?? I'm just really keen and curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as you can possibly find. In terms of work experience GP and hospital. UNIs know it is hard to get so only expect an hour or 2. However some consider voluntary work or paid work at a care home in that case try and get 6 months plus worth

a week or two not an hour lol
Original post by madiwadi
As much as you can possibly find. In terms of work experience GP and hospital. UNIs know it is hard to get so only expect an hour or 2. However some consider voluntary work or paid work at a care home in that case try and get 6 months plus worth

a week or two not an hour lol

Thank you so much :biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Gin

Could someone give me a crash course on the current structure of the NHS+reforms? There's so much information online it's overwhelming!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The cap is silly. You see all over the news that we need more GP's and other consultants, yet there is still a cap on the amount we can train.

Posted from TSR Mobile

From a pharmacist's perspective: A cap of any sort is better than none at all.
There are currently too many pharmacists in Britain. So much so that locum agencies often state from the off that they will NOT be able to find anyone work in London/the South East as it's too competitive. Pharmacist wages (although still relatively high at about £17-24 an hour for community locums) have been slashed in recent years. Gone are the days where a locum can negotiate a higher fee (£35+ per hour) for an emergency shift at short notice... There's always someone desperate for the work. A very slow reaction has led to capping the number of pharmacy schools in the UK i.e. no more can be opened. I've applied for St George's GEM but the idea of not being able to easily find locum work as a pharmacist is a bit off-putting...
Basically what I'm saying is "be careful what you wish for"!

Ah nice link, thanks for sharing :smile:
Could you possibly link the document stating that Cambridge are last? I have a fiend who is rather..how shall I put it...Cambridge-superiority complex 4 offers already sort of person and would really quite like to how him this to be honest with you.

here is a screenshot I took cant find the original document though

Original post by abdelrahman777
here is a screenshot I took cant find the original document though

It's in this document http://www.gmc-uk.org/SoMEP_chapter_3.pdf_58053779.pdf - P.119 :smile:
Exeter hurry up and tell me if meeting me for 20 minutes impressed you enough to let me study one of the hardest degrees out there at your uni.
Original post by whymedicine
Exeter hurry up and tell me if meeting me for 20 minutes impressed you enough to let me study one of the hardest degrees out there at your uni.

It's painful isn't it? and probably 24 more days to go...
Original post by Dr Gin
It's painful isn't it? and probably 24 more days to go...

Yep, just want to know regardless of the outcome... I don't see why it takes so long to be honest, plymouth took less than 3 weeks to reply after their interviews.
Yep, just want to know regardless of the outcome... I don't see why it takes so long to be honest, plymouth took less than 3 weeks to reply after their interviews.

Newcastle don't reply till March regardless of when you hav your interview. I had mine early December. lol. It cud be worse :smile:
Original post by Haider302
Newcastle don't reply till March regardless of when you hav your interview. I had mine early December. lol. It cud be worse :smile:

Oh I suppose end of January doesn't sound that bad anymore 😂
Oh I suppose end of January doesn't sound that bad anymore ������

Job done. lol.
Oh I suppose end of January doesn't sound that bad anymore

There's always potentially the waiting list :tongue:

Waiting is so tough! (who ever said things are easier the second time around?!?)

Anyone got a time machine handy?
Original post by Dr. Django
There's always potentially the waiting list :tongue:

Waiting is so tough! (who ever said things are easier the second time around?!?)

Anyone got a time machine handy?

Gotta wait till early April for my Manchester decision :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaska
Gotta wait till early April for my Manchester decision :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here mayn!

Still though, April isn't too bad, Last year I'm pretty sure 3 of my 4 responses were in March!

Edit: just remembered March is before April:rolleyes: #TooStupidForMedSchool
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending