The Student Room Group

Learning Disability Nursing Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sally76
Thank you so much for that ! Love the blog best of luck with the course im excited to start now.
what university are you at ?

No problem. It's a great course and I'm loving my first placement. It's tiring getting up at 5am but it's worth it. Never worry about too much. Just try to stay on top of your studies as it's so easy to get behind as the course goes so quick. You have a lot to learn within such a short space of time really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice ! Im looking forward to starting now just not the 5am starts haha
http://ldstudentnurse.blogspot.co.uk/

Another new post just up!

I would be lying if i didnt say im exhausted from working at placement, then working on the weekends part time as well as trying to do revision and essays!
But 2 weeks off at christmas which i will thoroughly take advantage of!

It has been amazing so far. Despite the long days of waking at 5.30 and then not getting in until 9pm, then falling asleep when i can, it has been incredible and i absolutely love it. The elation of learning so many new skills and getting to know your patients more than makes up for it.

Best of luck to everyone applying this year. Learning disability nursing is so rewarding and i absolutely love the challenge.
It took an hour and a half to get a set of observations from a patient not so long ago. Ordinarily, on a generic adult ward this would be done in 5 minutes. But this is what i love about learning disability. You have the time to get to know your patients and it is so rewarding when you do eventually get there.
All i can say is, if you enjoy it. Then go for it. You need that passion and drive, especially on those days that can really test you.
Reply 23
So looking forward to April now ! Can't wait to get learning 😊
Original post by sally76
So looking forward to April now ! Can't wait to get learning 😊

Best of luck!
The excitement hasn't worn off and I still feel so lucky to be where I am.
I think if you retain that and remember how hard you have worked to get there then you retain a sense of empathy for others.
You will meet others who want to be in your shoes and will ask you questions. Be nice to everyone and always ask questions yourself. You will learn something new every day. And it is amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by deviant182
Best of luck!
I think if you retain that and remember how hard you have worked to get there then you retain a sense of empathy for others.
You will meet others who want to be in your shoes and will ask you questions. Be nice to everyone and always ask questions yourself. You will learn something new every day. And it is amazing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you that's really good advice ! Keep going
http://ldstudentnurse.blogspot.co.uk/

Another new post just up!

I would be lying if i didnt say im exhausted from working at placement, then working on the weekends part time as well as trying to do revision and essays!
But 2 weeks off at christmas which i will thoroughly take advantage of!

It has been amazing so far. Despite the long days of waking at 5.30 and then not getting in until 9pm, then falling asleep when i can, it has been incredible and i absolutely love it. The elation of learning so many new skills and getting to know your patients more than makes up for it.

Best of luck to everyone applying this year. Learning disability nursing is so rewarding and i absolutely love the challenge.
It took an hour and a half to get a set of observations from a patient not so long ago. Ordinarily, on a generic adult ward this would be done in 5 minutes. But this is what i love about learning disability. You have the time to get to know your patients and it is so rewarding when you do eventually get there.
All i can say is, if you enjoy it. Then go for it. You need that passion and drive, especially on those days that can really test you.

Thank you for the advice
Best of luck to you and roll on December for that two weeks off!!
Countdown is still going!
But I'm going to miss the ward so much. Time on placement is flying by and I've loved every minute.
If anyone wants to ask anything then feel free!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Love the blog ! Not long now till we start 😀
Countdown is still going!
But I'm going to miss the ward so much. Time on placement is flying by and I've loved every minute.
If anyone wants to ask anything then feel free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got any exams coming up? X
Original post by zimkundi
Have you got any exams coming up? X

I've had a presentation and an exam already then an essay due in February along with an exam. My portfolio is due in January and then majority of exams are in may.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My daughter has interview for ld nursing in January at Walsall campus anybody got any tips for the interview
Original post by Dudlley123
My daughter has interview for ld nursing in January at Walsall campus anybody got any tips for the interview

Does she have any prior experience with l.d? Just tell her to be herself and let them know if the experience she has has benefited her and how. She can also be prepared by reading up on learning disabilities and what's going on in the NHS in relation to them. Best of luck to her :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you she has a sister with moderate learning disabilities and she works as a carer which most have dementia hope she gets in failed adult nursing interview but she is so up for this one
Well the experience will help if she can say how that led her to apply for l.d and how she can apply that experience in her course. It's by far the best branch in my opinion as you deal with people of all ages and abilities and you can never be bored when you never know what's coming!
Maybe be biased as I love my course! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much ! I will remember everything you have told me
Original post by sally76
Thank you so much ! I will remember everything you have told me

You're very welcome!
I found this forum helped last year, but couldn't find many who were doing l.d nursing and it helps to find those who are so they can understand what you're going through. Especially when you've had a hard day on placement or come away feeling like you haven't succeeded or you haven't done much that day. But in l.d everything can go slower and take more time but it's worth the perseverance. The rewards of seeing someone overcome a fixation or learn how to do something are amazing. I wouldn't change my branch for anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
You're very welcome!
I found this forum helped last year, but couldn't find many who were doing l.d nursing and it helps to find those who are so they can understand what you're going through. Especially when you've had a hard day on placement or come away feeling like you haven't succeeded or you haven't done much that day. But in l.d everything can go slower and take more time but it's worth the perseverance. The rewards of seeing someone overcome a fixation or learn how to do something are amazing. I wouldn't change my branch for anything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have been so helpful and I would love to stay in touch to let you know how im getting on. Good luck with everything and enjoy your xmas break !
Does she have any prior experience with l.d? Just tell her to be herself and let them know if the experience she has has benefited her and how. She can also be prepared by reading up on learning disabilities and what's going on in the NHS in relation to them. Best of luck to her :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

She has been offered a conditional offer at university she only had the interview Tuesday, thank you so much for all your help😊
Reply 39
Original post by Dudlley123
She has been offered a conditional offer at university she only had the interview Tuesday, thank you so much for all your help😊

Wahoo ! Congrats to her 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending