The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fluteflute
Oh just lurking :tongue:

Lol, knowing my luck, the admissions tutors managed to identify me (very easy, given the amount of data I gave, especially the UMS) and saw my past posts, which worked against me. Especially from the days when I wasn't 100% on Engineering (I am now like 99.9% sure - no such thing as 100% sure), since I answered the "Why do you want to do Engineering" question really badly at interview :frown:

I'm probably being paranoid (not sure they would bother with doing something like that, probably got more important work, but it obviously happens sometimes), but I think I made a bad move regardless. Maybe I should tell next year's lot...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Necrosyrtes
Lol, knowing my luck, the admissions tutors managed to identify me (very easy, given the amount of data I gave, especially the UMS) and saw my past posts, which worked against me. Especially from the days when I wasn't 100% on Engineering (I am now like 99.9% sure - no such thing as 100% sure), since I answered the "Why do you want to do Engineering" question really badly at interview :frown:

I'm probably being paranoid, but I think I made a bad move regardless. Maybe I should tell next year's lot...

Ha no don't worry - tutors don't really have the time to go researching applicants :tongue:
Original post by Necrosyrtes

I'm probably being paranoid, but I think I made a bad move regardless. Maybe I should tell next year's lot...

I doubt they care what you answer to the general questions really, Engineering isn't an arts subject - its main purpose was a warm up.

Oh, and I think admissions tutors are far too busy in December to discriminate against you based on a few posts dotted around a hundred-page thread, don't sweat it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone expecting a sneaky rejection?
Original post by Elcor
I doubt they care what you answer to the general questions really, Engineering isn't an arts subject - its main purpose was a warm up.

Oh, and I think admissions tutors are far too busy in December to discriminate against you based on a few posts dotted around a hundred-page thread, don't sweat it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a pretty important general question, and one I feel I've answered badly a couple of times (not really good at expressing it, especially when under pressure; I think I answered them better at my more relaxed, non-Cambridge interviews) :laugh:
But yeah, maybe you're right. The first interviewer didn't really seem to care what I said, though I got a bit of an argument out of the second.

And yeah I think you and fluteflute are probably right. Just thought I'd share my thoughts/look for comfort. 2 sleeps until potential Cambridge letter = irrational me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Economistician
How long before applying did everyone decide which college they had chosen to apply to? Just curious

About 5 seconds before pressing submit application? My decision was quite random but I was unexpectedly pleased with my choice afterwards. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mansmisterio
Alright so now no one knows if he gets pooled or not ?

Not yet, no. When you get a letter on Saturday, if you've been pooled you will be told and the outcome of that pooling. Ie you might be told that you were pooled and no one picked you OR you were pooled and have been picked by another college.

good luck :biggrin:
Reply 1567
What time does the postman usually deliver letters on Saturday in the UK?
Original post by Econ95

Depends on your postman I think. Mine comes usually between 11am-1pm, but I think it varies.
Original post by Econ95

Same time as any other day I think
How do you feel?
I'm starting to get quite nervous..
Reply 1571
Original post by ShonaM6920
Has anyone heard from Clare about whether they'll be sending letters or emailing?

Original post by Caro29
Hey - new to the thread! Have applied to Clare for history- just wondering if anyone knows if Clare are emailing? Have looked on their website but can't see anything! Thanks- it's just I don't trust Royal Mail- I get a different postman everyday at different times- usually quite late! Good luck everyone- has been useful reading the thread!

I called the admissions office and they said home students will only be receiving a letter whilst internationals will receive both a letter and an email (with the email being sent out sometime next week ).

(I also applied to Clare for hist!)
I've heard that you can tell if you have been accepted/rejected based off the type of letter you receive.

For example: An A4 envelope which feels thick would suggest an acceptance vs an A5 envelope which feels relatively empty, suggesting rejection.

Does this have any validity?

P.S. I know it might seem relatively pointless, but it's annoying me for some reason.
(edited 9 years ago)
If you're rejected from your chosen college on the Saturday, but you've then also been given a straight out offer from another college through the pool, will you find both that information out in the Saturday letter?
Gotta say while I have sympathy for all you peeps waiting, I'm gonna reserve the most for the mathmos.

They can't even truly celebrate or say 'yup, I'm going to Cambridge' until something like 8 months from now . . . STEP is basically like being reinterviewed in June and waiting 2 months for a reply :frown:.
Thanks so much IDGE! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by mwatters
If you're rejected from your chosen college on the Saturday, but you've then also been given a straight out offer from another college through the pool, will you find both that information out in the Saturday letter?

Yes, you will for sure.

But I haven't quite understood if you will receive both a letter from your chosen college and the one that fished you, or if you will hear from your chosen college saying that you've been pooled and fished and later on a letter from the new college with the official offer.
I don't have a hope in hell in getting an offer, low UMS, okay interviews but a terrible written assessment. I don't think there is any point in even opening the letter but oh well! Good luck guys
Original post by ClickItBack
Gotta say while I have sympathy for all you peeps waiting, I'm gonna reserve the most for the mathmos.

They can't even truly celebrate or say 'yup, I'm going to Cambridge' until something like 8 months from now . . . STEP is basically like being reinterviewed in June and waiting 2 months for a reply :frown:.

Ah. I just want the chance meet a STEP offer!! i dont care if its 11 s1 or ss ill give it my best shot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ClickItBack

Is it basically a very difficult maths exam? What's the grading system?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending