The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by admissionshost
Congratulations on your offer! This means (if you accept it) that you have a guaranteed place at Oxford if you meet the conditions specified.

Each year a small number of candidates either fail to meet the conditions of their offer, withdraw for other reasons, or turn down offers. The vacancies arising are filled by candidates holding Open Offers. Every Open Offer is underwritten by a specific college, and in the event of a vacancy not arising a place will be made available at the underwriting college, which in your case is Brasenose.

Sometimes colleges are able to notify an open offer holder of their destination college in advance of August when conditional offers are confirmed. More usually students have to wait until A-level results
are announced (even if their own qualifications are different). Brasenose should get in touch with you once things are clear.

Thankyou! I have no idea how things work regarding accommodation either, like at what time people usually pick/are allotted their rooms and whether i'll be disadvantaged because I won't even know what college i'm at until August?
Original post by SeaweedBrain
Classics at Johns :smile: (danniegee, it's Emily with the triangles! Izzy says well done!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, I've got an offer for Classics at John's too! :smile:
Subject: Materials Science
College: Mansfield
Offer: A*AA
County/City: Milton Keynes

How you feel: Absolutely thrilled! But also like I've cheated the system - surely they've gotten me mixed up with someone else?! Either that or everybody else who was interviewed at my college had the inability to speak, because I was convinced that that was the only way I'd be deemed an able candidate!!!

I'm also perplexed why I gained my first choice college and not my second choice since, for a huge number of reasons, my second choice interview went so much better! My first choice interview was early in the morning (8:30 am!!) so I was barely awake, forgot everything in my personal statement, spent 5x longer doing calculations than I normally would, wasn't in the mood to meet new people, and on top of that I had a lot of difficulty understanding my interviewers accent (sorry interviewer I didn't mean to be rude!!) So you can understand why I thought that I would never get an offer, let alone from my first choice college when my other interview was so much more successful :smile:

According to the Briscoe spreadsheet (thankyou flute!!) no one has even applied to Oxford from my school for at least eight years. This year six people applied, five people got interview and three people were given offers. I think that maybe our "disadvantaged school" status has come in to play? It's definitely one of the reasons I got a place on UNIQ!
Original post by hoollsss
Thankyou! I have no idea how things work regarding accommodation either, like at what time people usually pick/are allotted their rooms and whether i'll be disadvantaged because I won't even know what college i'm at until August?

This, like many things depends on the college. Some don't give you any choice, whilst others may offer rooms and banded prices that you can say what you would like. However, I would say you definitely wouldn't be disadvantaged, as it is likely (I don't know though) that rooms won't necessarily be sorted until they know who is coming after results day.

Original post by amol_chalis447
However I concede that people so stressed by interviews to the point where they cry or have a panic attack or something similar are not likely to enjoy their time at Oxford.

Original post by Chlorophile

Really? That's so sad ):

I won't lie, there was one point in my second interview where I did get tears in my eyes (i.e cried a little...). I think I was just tired and stressed (hadn't realised before that) and couldn't quite get what the tutor was asking me - although actually when he gave me an example of one of the answers (it was a sheet of questions) I had been thinking along those lines but just hadn't been able to articulate it. After that I thought I didn't stand a chance, although, when I started looking back, all bits apart from that I actually answered fairly well (in my opinion... or at least they weren't terrible answers). Although this second interview was at another college and not the one I got into, so I have no idea what that interviewer thought!

I think it's hard to say from one interview how you will cope at Oxford, as even 2nd year, which has been a lot of work and quite stressful has been perfectly doable and enjoyable. That said, for me it was only a few tears, and I can't necessarily compare to someone who found the whole interview time really stressful. I would just say that it's up to them to decide if they can cope with the workload of Oxford - I actually tend to deal well with stress, whilst I have a few friends who really don't and get very stressed very easily (one of them is a Classicist doing mods this term... that will be fun...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know why all of the budgeting information in the finance booklet is for a 9 month duration? I thought we're only in Oxford for 6 months?

Original post by pak1994

I think it's hard to say from one interview how you will cope at Oxford, as even 2nd year, which has been a lot of work and quite stressful has been perfectly doable and enjoyable. That said, for me it was only a few tears, and I can't necessarily compare to someone who found the whole interview time really stressful. I would just say that it's up to them to decide if they can cope with the workload of Oxford - I actually tend to deal well with stress, whilst I have a few friends who really don't and get very stressed very easily (one of them is a Classicist doing mods this term... that will be fun...)

What are mods?
(edited 9 years ago)
Anyone else for St Catz? Well done to everyone for getting offers! :biggrin:
Does anyone know why all of the budgeting information in the finance booklet is for a 9 month duration? I thought we're only in Oxford for 6 months?

What are mods?

Probably because they count it as September till June - and some people will stay for that long. Better to overestimate than underestimate, definitely.

Classicists don't sit exams in 1st year, instead they sit exams in Hilary (next term) of second year (which, I am almost 100% sure, don't count).

The website says "Undergraduate courses usually consist of three terms of eight weeks each, but as a guide you may wish to budget over a nine-month period to ensure you also have sufficient funds during the holidays to meet essential costs."

I would take the figures the university give with a pinch of salt. I spend a lot less than the guide (I think around £6k a year) but I'm more frugal than some, and go to a rich college (so things can be cheaper for us). You can look at your college's accommodation and food costs, and get an idea of what your specific expenses are going to be.
Original post by fluteflute
The website says "Undergraduate courses usually consist of three terms of eight weeks each, but as a guide you may wish to budget over a nine-month period to ensure you also have sufficient funds during the holidays to meet essential costs."

I would take the figures the university give with a pinch of salt. I spend a lot less than the guide (I think around £6k a year) but I'm more frugal than some, and go to a rich college (so things can be cheaper for us). You can look at your college's accommodation and food costs, and get an idea of what your specific expenses are going to be.

Thanks. Got slightly alarmed when I saw those high costs (£10k+?!) in the booklet!
Does anybody know about opportunities to study/go abroad at Oxford? I'm doing English. Obviously thrilled to get an offer but also a little sad I won't be able to do a year abroad :frown:

What college are you at?
Original post by Caitlan
What college are you at?

St John's
Original post by pak1994
Probably because they count it as September till June - and some people will stay for that long. Better to overestimate than underestimate, definitely.

Classicists don't sit exams in 1st year, instead they sit exams in Hilary (next term) of second year (which, I am almost 100% sure, don't count).

Yeah they don't count :smile:
Original post by troodon
Does anybody know about opportunities to study/go abroad at Oxford? I'm doing English. Obviously thrilled to get an offer but also a little sad I won't be able to do a year abroad :frown:

There aren't all that many opportunities, but there's some scope to set up your own things: http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/international/scholarships-exchanges

One thing that works is to go abroad during the summer. I know people who have been to America, Thailand, China, etc on all sorts of things.
Original post by Scorpiorok
Same, I've got an offer for Classics at John's too! :smile:

Woop woop! Can I PM you? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by troodon

There's an internship programme at Oxford which has a focus on internship opportunities abroad. Obviously that'd be ~3 months in the summer as opposed to a year abroad though.
Anyone had an offer for Mathematics and Philosophy? Would love to talk if so!
Is it very common for students to remain in college accommodation during the holidays? I hear we have quite short terms.

I spent £6k last term :confused:
There aren't all that many opportunities, but there's some scope to set up your own things: http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/international/scholarships-exchanges

One thing that works is to go abroad during the summer. I know people who have been to America, Thailand, China, etc on all sorts of things.

I heard that if you can justify it pertains to your course Oxford will give you money for travel, is there any truth in that?

Latest

Trending

Trending