The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah, but if they've extended it all, and they said they'd have it sorted they should have sorted it.

If they'd said there is a chance of no decision but in pool it would be fine. Ish

Candidates who are pooled are most likely still under consideration against applicants being reinterviewed. My brother stewed in the pool for two weeks before his rejection. These people will have to wait at most half of that. Cambridge has hard choices to make either you want them to be blasé or careful, dont be so entitled. The pool hasn't been extended as people in the pool still are only being looked at by a single (id guess their original) college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2581
:lol: you don't want to be rejected, you just want to know!

I'm not sure any more. My mind is completely frazzled with stress again. That unnatural calm from earlier has disappeared to be replaced with terror, anxiety and mild nausea.
Original post by Minerva
Hello both

When I saw this I assumed you were both medics, and aersh8 has confirmed that for me.

My understanding is that there are a number of applicants for Medicine only who are still being considered for an open offer. What an open offer means is that you would be guaranteed a place - assuming you met your offer conditions in full - but the college you would be placed at won't be decided until after the A level results are published in August.

Each year, a small number (about five) of these open offers are made for Medicine. Unfortunately it appears that the process of allocating these open offers hasn't been completed in time for the main mail-out, hence the terms of the letter you've received today. I don't know how many people are in contention for this offers, as Cambridge has never published this information so far as I am aware, but it is fair to say that the odds in favour of getting an offer this way are not as good as they are for the re-interviewees. The 'open offer' group as I understood it from previous years is completely separate from the re-interviewed group, but I can't confirm that now because the information is 'behind the wall'. Here's hoping that they will make their minds up and let you know quickly.

Applicants for all other subjects - except the re-interviewees, who know who they are by now - can be assured that their decisions have been made, and that this information will reach them some time over the next few days.

See explanation above :smile:

Yes they have - these were decided on 6 January, and are being communicated from now.

This is a special case relating to Medicine applicants only.

Thank you for clearing this up. So will my existing college contact me even if, say, another college has expressed interest in my application and want to fish me out? Also do you know if there is any deadline in which they have to reply to candidates in the same position as me, on letting us know the outcome of our application?
Offer from Trinity for Law!!
Original post by themancunian
Nah you'll get in :smile: - haha or Durham! Oxbridge reject stereotype activate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gah don't say that, cos if I don't I'll be like... They made a mistake... Everyone said I would :lol:

Both awesome! You never know, might join you in Durham :wink:
Original post by whatacrydonnie
Nooo I'm sorry :frown: it was lovely meeting you, and I'm sure you'll go to another great university!

It's fine :smile: haha it was nice meeting you too! Whatever the future holds, basically #yolo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notebooker
Rejected from Emma for PBS. Tried not to get my hopes up, but still so disappointed.. :frown:

I'm sorry, that sucks :frown:. Where else have you applied?
Original post by TVIO
Gahhhh I just wanna be rejected so I can move on with my life. Rather than this agonising 'hope' thing

:lol: you don't want to be rejected, you just want to know!

Good luck to both of you! I was feeling the exact same waiting for Oxford on Wednesday :3 Whatever the outcome, you'll be at a leading university and have every chance of success :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Thanks, make room for me at Pembroke :wink:

Bro, what's your offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Goods
Candidates who are pooled are most likely still under consideration against applicants being reinterviewed. My brother stewed in the pool for two weeks before his rejection. These people will have to wait at most half of that. Cambridge has hard choices to make either you want them to be blasé or careful, dont be so entitled. The pool hasn't been extended as people in the pool still are only being looked at by a single (id guess their original) college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand how it works though if someone has been fished by a college how can they not know which college? Surely a college fished them

Original post by TVIO
I'm not sure any more. My mind is completely frazzled with stress again. That unnatural calm from earlier has disappeared to be replaced with terror, anxiety and mild nausea.

Just chuck on some music :biggrin:
Original post by Minerva
Yes - in that case if you got an open offer it would be unconditional, so you'd be guaranteed a place, but the college would not be decided until August. You would take precedence over anyone who missed their offer.

Thanks for the clarification. I know it's no guarantee of what's happened but it's good to hear something from someone that knows what they may be talking about.

I just don't want to wait anymore... It's been so damn long.
Reply 2591
Original post by EHZ17
Emmanuel College, Economics, A*AA :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knew you and tom would do it. Well done guys!!
Has anyone added themselves to the cambridge offer holders group 2015?
Reply 2593
Original post by The_Top_Hat
So basically we now have to wait till the end of January to find out about our fates. :bawling:
I'm sure you will hear sooner than that.

Original post by Fawkesgirl33
Does anyone know when you find out which college you've been pooled to?
Your letter from your preference college will state whether you were pooled and fished out. If you were fished out, the fishing college should be in touch with you in the next couple of working days. As I understand it, the letter from your preference college won't say which college fished you.
Original post by Goods
Pool interviews have a 40+% success rate this means as you are under the same consideration based off you're original performance you also have this success rate. This means that your chances of an offer since discovering you were pooled have increased.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for posting this. :smile:
Reply 2595
I don't understand how it works though if someone has been fished by a college how can they not know which college? Surely a college fished them

Just chuck on some music :biggrin:

Decided to watch the IT crowd. I've never watched it before and it's funny enough to be totally distracting (at least for a few minutes at a time which is about as much as I can hope for)
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I've been accepted to study Philosophy at Christ' College Cambridge! I'm so pleased!

Yay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Paradoxical me check your email! :gah:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
I've been accepted to study Philosophy at Christ' College Cambridge! I'm so pleased!

CONGRATS!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2599
Original post by Rifleboy123
Good luck to both of you! I was feeling the exact same waiting for Oxford on Wednesday :3 Whatever the outcome, you'll be at a leading university and have every chance of success :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Congrats on your Oxford offer. Have you decided to firm them or is there a chance we'll meet at Imperial?

Latest

Trending

Trending