The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hoollsss
Thankyou! I have no idea how things work regarding accommodation either, like at what time people usually pick/are allotted their rooms and whether i'll be disadvantaged because I won't even know what college i'm at until August?

Rooms are allocated when offers are confirmed in August after the A-level results. Practice may vary a bit depending on how colleges run accommodation, but incoming Freshers will usually be asked to indicate what price band of room is preferred and will be given a form to complete. Allocation to rooms within each band is random and since it is done when the final list of Freshers is known, there is no disadvantage to Open Offer holders.

Some more information that may be useful. College JCRs run 'college parent' schemes - typically incoming Freshers receive a letter written by current students, one of whom normally does the same course, with some arrival tips. In Freshers' week there is also typically a 'parents' dinner' organised by your student parents. Open Offer holders have parents on standby at the underwriting college; if the receiving college is different, you will still get a parents' letter. Similarly, I think that the Facebook pages set up by JCRs happen quite late and that Open Offer holders can join these in advance of arrival since here is a gap of nearly two months between A-level confirmation and arrival.
Who else has an offer for Physics at LMH?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yz5267
Don't quite get why some people make such a big deal of it to the point of crying for it then...

Maybe if they had actually worked very hard for them and still struggled, or alternatively if they didn't work at all and couldn't do anything? (I'm just guessing though).
Original post by studentmum2345
Congratulations for your offer. You all must be really proud of the achievement.

My son had an offer from Oxford for 2014 entry for one of the most sought after course. His friend also had an offer. They were the only ones at their school successful to get an Oxford offer. They both went to a comprehensive state school. However both of them lost the offer after the results in August 14 2014 as they narrowly missed the A* grade. Both had brilliant GCSE with all A*, AS level with nearly 100 UMS and excellent results in their entrance exams.

I am posting this so that no one in this forum becomes complacent and lose the offer. The heartbreak, which happens then, can be really unbearable and it does not go away easily. Last year 374 students lost their conditional offer at Cambridge (according to freedom of Information website). You don’t want to be one of them. Oxford and Cambridge do not normally listen to appeals. They would rather leave the seat vacant than taking someone who did not meet the grades

My advice to you:

You can’t score marks in A Levels and GCSE just because you have subject knowledge or intelligence. You should know to answer according to the mark scheme. Mark schemes and past papers should be your best friends from now on;
Make sure that you take help from teachers or extra tuition if you are struggling in any aspect
Make sure that your lab work and controlled assessment are up to standard; don’t take them lightly as that can cost you your A*. If there is any opportunity to re-sit take it;
Avoid clubbing (if you do that too much now; you won’t be around to attend fresher’s week parties at Oxford.) It may be tempting as most of you are turning 18 and there are too many parties to go to. But focus on the end goal;
Make it clear to your girlfriend /boyfriend that you need to focus on studies for the next few months and don’t entertain unreasonable expectations;
Don’t be arrogant regarding your offer. Please note that there may be others who were better than you who were rejected after the interview, as interviews can be subjective

My son accepted his insurance choice which is nowhere near Oxford regarding international reputation and he is disappointed. In his mind he knows that he could have done better preparation for final A level exams.

So after partying this weekend to celebrate your offer; get back to your studies and make that offer unconditional in August. Even if you decide not to go to Oxford later; you want to be the one making that decision; not them. All the best. The new series of Game of thrones can wait!

This is sound advice. A few queries have appeared on this thread from holders of Open Offers. As pointed out in the responses made to these, Open Offers are made because each year a small proportion of students do not make conditional offers or withdraw for other reasons. I would like to comment on the statement that Oxford and Cambridge do not normally listen to appeals. A college will consider an appeal if a candidate has mitigating circumstances supported by the school and (usually) medical evidence. If a problem arises, it is important to communicate this via your school as soon as possible (ie before your results unless there is a reason why this is not possible). Missing offer grades for the reasons the author of this post states, however, would not be grounds for an appeal. UCAS gives candidates insurance choices to cover this scenario.
Reply 304
Original post by emilhay6
Hi! I also have an offer from St Catz (to do maths !) :biggrin:

Me too! I was really surprised as the MAT didn't go well and the interviews weren't great, but obviously really happy! How many of us do you think there are?
Original post by admissionshost
This is sound advice. A few queries have appeared on this thread from holders of Open Offers. As pointed out in the responses made to these, Open Offers are made because each year a small proportion of students do not make conditional offers or withdraw for other reasons. I would like to comment on the statement that Oxford and Cambridge do not normally listen to appeals. A college will consider an appeal if a candidate has mitigating circumstances supported by the school and (usually) medical evidence. If a problem arises, it is important to communicate this via your school as soon as possible (ie before your results unless there is a reason why this is not possible). Missing offer grades for the reasons the author of this post states, however, would not be grounds for an appeal. UCAS gives candidates insurance choices to cover this scenario.

Just one more point. Until you get your insurance offer (especially courses like medicine) I would recommend not to post anything in open facebook groups or twitter regarding Oxford Conditional offer
Original post by NJ4769
Me too! I was really surprised as the MAT didn't go well and the interviews weren't great, but obviously really happy! How many of us do you think there are?

Hey! You're the first St Catz maths person (apart from me) that I've seen :biggrin: my interviews were so bad, I have no idea why I got an offer, but I'm not complaining! Was St Catz your first choice, I originally applied to Worcester but St Catz looks pretty awesome and a lot more chilled out :smile: I was having a look on their website, I think it said normally 8 maths people but I don't know if that's joint schools as well or anything.
Original post by EvasiveRose
Well you proved them wrong didn't you :biggrin: (it's the best feeling in the world)
What subject have you received an offer for?

Spanish and Linguistics :smile: how about you?
(And I know)
Original post by Molly_xox
Spanish and Linguistics :smile: how about you?
(And I know)

History at St. Johns. What college?
History at St. Johns. What college?

St Peter's :smile:
St Peter's :smile:

Oooh. Nice choice :biggrin:.
Oooh. Nice choice :biggrin:.

Thank you :biggrin: St John's was actually my second choice but I preferred the accommodation at St Peter's :smile:
Original post by Somniare
Oooh sounds interesting, especially personal identity =D

Yeah and the whole tutorial system sounds like an amazing way to learn! Hmm, sounds interesting too!
The course certainly seems to focus on the good stuff, yep! I definitely prefer cutting out the majority applied to doings random bits here and there...
I suppose I think Plato's theory of forms is a brilliant and artistic metaphor. There being a world full of perfect forms seems a bit far-fetched but I'm not sure that really matters. The main point is that what we perceive in the world around us is imperfect and that the idea of perfection exists elsewhere. To me it's a concept that helps us understand ideas but I'm not sure there's much "truth" to it - absolutely love it though, big fan! I'm certainly no expert on the matter though, that's just from my (also very limited) reading. Must admit, I'm a bit overwhelmed by lots of ideas. I feel like I've enjoyed looking at and playing with the tip of the iceberg but that there's lots, lots more juicy stuff to come!
Yeah, talking in French about it is difficult but really good! I'm reading Candide in French atm which is fun; it's great to see it in the original language.
Ahaa fair enough. I really like STEP. I've only tried STEP I questions but I have really enjoyed them generally. Bristol is certainly the safer option but I think Warwick takes quite a few near misses each year and I do prefer it...
Reply 313
Original post by emilhay6
Hey! You're the first St Catz maths person (apart from me) that I've seen :biggrin: my interviews were so bad, I have no idea why I got an offer, but I'm not complaining! Was St Catz your first choice, I originally applied to Worcester but St Catz looks pretty awesome and a lot more chilled out :smile: I was having a look on their website, I think it said normally 8 maths people but I don't know if that's joint schools as well or anything.

Catz was my first choice yeah - I went to visit before applying and really liked the feel of the place, and the interviews confirmed that. It's obviously the most modern college so facilities and accommodation etc. are pretty good! That's about what I thought yeah, quite a small group. I quite like the sound of that though - I imagine you get to know each other well :biggrin:
Reply 314
Is anyone else an offer-holder for 2016 entry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you :biggrin: St John's was actually my second choice but I preferred the accommodation at St Peter's :smile:

Was there any large difference between the two? I personally quite liked St Johns' accommodation although I was given quite a large room for my stay and felt a bit like 'there's too much space' :colondollar:
Original post by NJ4769
Catz was my first choice yeah - I went to visit before applying and really liked the feel of the place, and the interviews confirmed that. It's obviously the most modern college so facilities and accommodation etc. are pretty good! That's about what I thought yeah, quite a small group. I quite like the sound of that though - I imagine you get to know each other well :biggrin:

Awesome :smile: it does look really nice on the website! I didn't really get to see it because it was dark when I had my interview - but it looks like it has a load of green (which is good for me 'cos I'm a country girl and I need lots of grass) and the site's quite big too which is nice :smile: I honestly can't wait! I think that's what's nice about the college system, you get that small group :biggrin:
Was there any large difference between the two? I personally quite liked St Johns' accommodation although I was given quite a large room for my stay and felt a bit like 'there's too much space' :colondollar:

No, not massively - St John's rooms were orange whilst St Peter's were blue and I just preferred the layout - it's only tiny things :')

My friend was interviewed at New and her room was enormous! I know what you mean by the 'too much space' thing but I reckon that as undergrads we'll get the small rooms (y)
Reply 318
My friend was interviewed at New and her room was enormous! I know what you mean by the 'too much space' thing but I reckon that as undergrads we'll get the small rooms (y)

I'd be surprised if the rooms you stayed in weren't undergrad rooms, as graduate rooms are likely to be rented on continuous licenses that prevent them from being used during interviews. There are some unfathomably large rooms dotted around unfortunately, I have misplaced my copy of the Magdalen accommodation guide so cannot offer any proof of the three room set with a shower large enough to fit a netball team.
No, not massively - St John's rooms were orange whilst St Peter's were blue and I just preferred the layout - it's only tiny things :')

Haha. That's fair enough. Oooh, I'd actually prefer that. I don't like large spaces very much :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending