The Student Room Group

Computer Sci PGCE realistic with these grades?

Hi everyone,

I am posting this on behalf of my partner who is considering a career in Comp Sci/IT teaching at secondary level. The major problem is his grades. At GCSE level he has a D in English and Science and a double award EE in ICT. But he has a 2.1 degree in Computing and Merit Masters in Computing aswell. He is currently on a PhD scholarship but wants to leave as he does not want to be an academic and does not want to waste another 2 years of his life on a qualification that will have no benefit to him. On the plus side, he has university level teaching experience.

I've contacted a few unis and one said they will not accept alternative qualifications, he will have to resit GCSE English and Science.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Is resitting GCSEs the only way?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CM19
Hi everyone,

I am posting this on behalf of my partner who is considering a career in Comp Sci/IT teaching at secondary level. The major problem is his grades. At GCSE level he has a D in English and Science and a double award EE in ICT. But he has a 2.1 degree in Computing and Merit Masters in Computing aswell. He is currently on a PhD scholarship but wants to leave as he does not want to be an academic and does not want to waste another 2 years of his life on a qualification that will have no benefit to him. On the plus side, he has university level teaching experience.

I've contacted a few unis and one said they will not accept alternative qualifications, he will have to resit GCSE English and Science.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? Is resitting GCSEs the only way?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

He doesn't need Science for secondary teaching. He will need GCSE English Grade C (an equivalence test may be available at some institutions but it would be easier just to do an evening class).
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
He doesn't need Science for secondary teaching. He will need GCSE English Grade C (an equivalence test may be available at some institutions but it would be easier just to do an evening class).

Thanks for the reply Mr M. That's what I thought but here was one of the replies we received:

'Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the University of Greenwich.

Unfortunately we require GCSE Maths, English and Science all at grade C to be eligible for our PGCE course, therefore I suggest you resit your GCSE English. Also we do not accept GCSE equivalencies when applying for PGCE courses.'

Maybe they misunderstood? I clearly stated secondary. I will look into evening classes, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by CM19
Thanks for the reply Mr M. That's what I thought but here was one of the replies we received:

'Thank you for your recent correspondence concerning the University of Greenwich.

Unfortunately we require GCSE Maths, English and Science all at grade C to be eligible for our PGCE course, therefore I suggest you resit your GCSE English. Also we do not accept GCSE equivalencies when applying for PGCE courses.'

Maybe they misunderstood? I clearly stated secondary. I will look into evening classes, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not seen a single university say they accept anything other than C in Maths and English, some accept equiv but i wouldn't know. this would be as a standard for any teaching qualification.

He will 100% have to resit it.

Good luck luv.
I needed a C in Science for my Secondary English PGCE (alongside in English and Maths).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know what he is going through I was actually in this similar boat, well academically wise.

For a secondary PGCE in computer science he will need:
Maths and English both at C or above
A degree related to the subject (he definetly has this)
Also he will need to talk to programmes he chooses because they will likely ask for him to undertake 10 days of work experience/voluntary observation in a secondary school.
And finally his QTS/professional skill tests for numeracy and litracy, there used to be an ICT one but they scrapped it from what I heard.

The school experience is relatively easy to get, I was in the same boat here because I had experience at college level but none at secondary, get him to google "school experience programme"
They will set him up with an advisor because he is planning on doing both a shortage and priority subject in addition they will look at sorting out an initial day with a school afterwards it will be down to him to speak with that placement school and arrange a minimum of 9 further days of work experience.

I hope this information helps, though with how something have been changing I would always advise that he contacts the course or programme providers for either university based PGCE/PGDE, School Direct and SCITT programmes, they will no everything about their programmes/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending