The Student Room Group

How does mock results compare to the real thing? *AS only

AS-only

How did you do in your mocks compared to the exams in June?

I hear about people getting 4Es then going on to get 4As. But seriously, by how much REALISTICLY can you improve?

I did my French mock today and i anticipate i got a C, which im happy about as its a respectable pass but quite annoyed as i dont want to restrict myself to a C/B, as im aiming for top marks (~90% UMS).

For GCSE i was EXACTLY at this stage (a C in the mocks), then went on to get an A*.

Whats you guys' input on this?

Thanks
For my AS mocks, I got BDUU. For the actual exams, I got ABBD. One U grade went up to an A, the D went to a B, the B stayed the same, and the other U became a D.

For the U-A change, I managed to identify where my issues were (mix of not knowing content or exam technique), and sort them out in time for the exam.
What subject was this?
Original post by loperdoper
For my AS mocks, I got BDUU. For the actual exams, I got ABBD. One U grade went up to an A, the D went to a B, the B stayed the same, and the other U became a D.

For the U-A change, I managed to identify where my issues were (mix of not knowing content or exam technique), and sort them out in time for the exam.
Original post by schindlers list
What subject was this?

Biology
Biology

That is impressive. Any tips on getting my D/C to an A/B? I can't seem to get past the half marks point.
Doesn't compare at all! I got AABC in my mocks; one of the As became a C when it came to June, whilst the B became a D, the C became an A, and the other A stayed an A, so it was all a terrible reflection of my ability haha.
Original post by Dani California
That is impressive. Any tips on getting my D/C to an A/B? I can't seem to get past the half marks point.

Practise. So much exam practise. I got 90% in my first paper and by that point I had done every past paper available on the OCR website twice (some of them three times).

But not just that. Make sure you understand why you're losing marks. Did you simply just not know the content (and in that case what do you need to revise), or did you misunderstand the question? It wasn't uncommon for me to accidentally answer the completely wrong question (example below).

Also, do you find you're losing marks on the big 6/7 mark questions, or is it a big collection of only getting 2 marks out of 3 marks available, and it's adding up? That can help you practise more efficiently.

exam qu example:
Basically, the question went
"Yeast cells separate after cell division. In a multicellular organism, the cells do not separate but become organised to form the body structure.

Describe how the cells in a multicellular organism are organised "

I read this and thought "hey, it's asking about mitosis", because I didn't really understand the final sentence. So I answer loads about mitosis and budding and all that, and of course it's asking about cells forming tissues forming organs etc. So whilst I'd answered to a full five-mark standard, I lost them all because I'd actually answered completely incorrectly.
Practise. So much exam practise. I got 90% in my first paper and by that point I had done every past paper available on the OCR website twice (some of them three times).

But not just that. Make sure you understand why you're losing marks. Did you simply just not know the content (and in that case what do you need to revise), or did you misunderstand the question? It wasn't uncommon for me to accidentally answer the completely wrong question (example below).

Also, do you find you're losing marks on the big 6/7 mark questions, or is it a big collection of only getting 2 marks out of 3 marks available, and it's adding up? That can help you practise more efficiently.

exam qu example:
Basically, the question went
"Yeast cells separate after cell division. In a multicellular organism, the cells do not separate but become organised to form the body structure.

Describe how the cells in a multicellular organism are organised "

I read this and thought "hey, it's asking about mitosis", because I didn't really understand the final sentence. So I answer loads about mitosis and budding and all that, and of course it's asking about cells forming tissues forming organs etc. So whilst I'd answered to a full five-mark standard, I lost them all because I'd actually answered completely incorrectly.

I know the content, but I tend not to get the marks because i'm not specific enough. And I think I loose marks on the big 5/6 mark questions.
You know what, that's actually really helped me, I feel like I should go revise now. Thanks! :smile:
In AS mocks I got ACEU, with the U in politics (I fell asleep, got a B on the retake). In the real exams I got AAAA and 100% in my politics exam.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dani California
I know the content, but I tend not to get the marks because i'm not specific enough. And I think I loose marks on the big 5/6 mark questions.
You know what, that's actually really helped me, I feel like I should go revise now. Thanks! :smile:

Good luck! Yeah, detail is a big thing. QWC marks are always good things to try and pick up, try and make sure your language is as technical as you possibly can.

Also - I find it's helpful if you remember the "cell surface membrane" as the "plasma membrane". With OCR, you can't get a mark if you just say "cell membrane", and I find it was much easier to remember to say "plasma membrane" rather than "cell surface membrane"
Biology

Hopefully I can do a big jump like you did from your mocks to your AS grades! Congratulations on the A in Biology btw! I am really fluctuating in Biology OCR so much, In my first assessment I got an E (It was a mix of Unit 1 and Unit 2) and in my second one I got an A on Unit 2 and an E on Unit 1. And in my mock, I got an E again! (It was a mix of unit 1 and 2 again). My Unit 1 teacher is kind of awful to say the least, I get nothing from going to her lessons! My teachers have lost faith in me!

I also hope I have a big jump by the time I get my AS grades, as I am aiming for ABBC atleast at the end of AS. I got BBCE in my mocks.
Mocks:
Maths A
Physics C
German B
Italian C

Real:
Maths A
Physics B
German B
Italian A
Original post by Ben4
Hopefully I can do a big jump like you did from your mocks to your AS grades! Congratulations on the A in Biology btw! I am really fluctuating in Biology OCR so much, In my first assessment I got an E (It was a mix of Unit 1 and Unit 2) and in my second one I got an A on Unit 2 and an E on Unit 1. And in my mock, I got an E again! (It was a mix of unit 1 and 2 again). My Unit 1 teacher is kind of awful to say the least, I get nothing from going to her lessons! My teachers have lost faith in me!

I also hope I have a big jump by the time I get my AS grades, as I am aiming for ABBC atleast at the end of AS. I got BBCE in my mocks.

Thank you! I didn't fluctuate so much as get solid U grades, and then suddenly started getting A/B grades. My F211 teacher was also pretty awful, it was taught to us so we learnt one topic of F212 first, and then moved back to F211, but it was timed so badly that a week before the exam, we were still learning parts of the first topic of F211! I ended up just teaching myself the final bits so I could do all the questions in past papers rather than having to skip some.

Good luck! The hard work you put in will start paying off soon, I promise :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest