The Student Room Group

should I take the hint?

The guy I like and I have this running joke where we say our next date will be in the next couple of months. For example I said '' I'll see you in August when it's warmer when I last saw him. I started it off, but I joke around and ask if it's his way of saying he doesn't want to see me again when he says it.

So I call him the other day and casually ask where we are going next and his response is 'ooohh.. I don't know I haven't really thought about it. Remember it won't be until August '. There was something about the way he responded so I joked and said ' it kinda sounded like ooh there's going be a next time, like it's a bad thing' because it definitely sounded like it. He just played it off. Up until then the conversation was fine but he's limited the amount of contact he makes. We did touch on the subject of times we've made excuses to avoid someone and he's not avoided any of my messages or anything. Just seems a little distant.

Am I right to think he's a little off with me? Or might not want to see me again?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
The guy I like and I have this running joke where we say our next date will be in the next couple of months. For example I said '' I'll see you in August when it's warmer when I last saw him. I started it off, but I joke around and ask if it's his way of saying he doesn't want to see me again when he says it.

So I call him the other day and casually ask where we are going next and his response is 'ooohh.. I don't know I haven't really thought about it. Remember it won't be until August '. There was something about the way he responded so I joked and said ' it kinda sounded like ooh there's going be a next time, like it's a bad thing' because it definitely sounded like it. He just played it off. Up until then the conversation was fine but he's limited the amount of contact he makes. We did touch on the subject of times we've made excuses to avoid someone and he's not avoided any of my messages or anything. Just seems a little distant.

Am I right to think he's a little off with me? Or might not want to see me again?

S
ounds like you're just a bit paranoid. If he isn't ignoring you, there isn't an issue.
If someone likes you, they would make an effort to always see you/ contact you. Fullstop. Especially in this day and age where its so easy to keep in contact with someone. Either he assumed you were being serious & masquerading it as a joke or he's just not that into you. Seeing as you've brought up a question to him about another date, I would say the latter (because of his reaction). I personally would have taken the hint at the beginning of paragraph 2.

This is all guesswork though, no one really knows what someone else is thinking. For all we know he could have bought you a wedding dress & is about to ambush you at your workplace tomorrow, sobbing with a ring.
(edited 9 years ago)
He's not into you.

Next time stop playing games and be more direct.
Reply 4
If he stopped talking to u as much, after u said to meet up.. Means he thought it was a joke and now he thinks your being serious, he's finding you weird, and isn't feeling it.

- Don't let a man determine your value girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Insight.
If he stopped talking to u as much, after u said to meet up.. Means he thought it was a joke and now he thinks your being serious, he's finding you weird, and isn't feeling it.

- Don't let a man determine your value girl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol he's known I'm weird from the beginning and has never taken my joke to heart. Especially as he throws the joke right back at me and in the same breath he will ask to see me. To be fair this conversation took place two days ago and I last saw him on Sunday.
Reply 6
Original post by bittr n swt
He's not into you.

Next time stop playing games and be more direct.

I haven't played any games. He's known that my joke wasn't me being serious from the start. Even the next day after our first date he used the joke on me and spoke about going out again. I saw him on Sunday and it was a nice evening. I can handle the fact he may not like me but why wouldn't he say so or at least cut communication. He was the one the organised Sundays date.
Reply 7
Well done then, u pulled I suppose? lOl

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by SophiaLDN
If someone likes you, they would make an effort to always see you/ contact you. Fullstop. Especially in this day and age where its so easy to keep in contact with someone. Either he assumed you were being serious & masquerading it as a joke or he's just not that into you. Seeing as you've brought up a question to him about another date, I would say the latter (because of his reaction). I personally would have taken the hint at the beginning of paragraph 2.

This is all guesswork though, no one really knows what someone else is thinking. For all we know he could have bought you a wedding dress & is about to ambush you at your workplace tomorrow, sobbing with a ring.

Thanks. Up until a week ago I wasn't questioning if he was interested because we spoke quite regularly. Then he said he wanted to surprise me on Sunday which he did and we had a blast. He texted me good night, then on Tuesday we spoke on the phone and the convo above happened.

I started this joke on our first date and from then he didn't take it literally. The next day he threw the joke back at me then proceeded to talk about our next date. On Sunday I said people struggle to get me out my house and he said he didn't find it hard, I said some people are worth the effort ( he knew I was talking about him).

I'm doing guesswork myself. Before I didn't feel any way about initiating conversations with him, now I kinda feel a certain way about it. I just don't wanna make the mistake of misreading and taking a step back when I could be on the wrong page completely.
Reply 9
Well done then, u pulled I suppose? lOl

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh? What do you mean?
What's happened to real attraction these days. Where is this whole let's be friends, then one likes the other and complains to forums and friends about it, coming from?
Reply 11
You're being very open with the "some people are worth it" flirty type. How old are you both? .. If u want it for long term then be more secluded and covered up so he feels for more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iAmanze
What's happened to real attraction these days. Where is this whole let's be friends, then one likes the other and complains to forums and friends about it, coming from?

Real attraction is still out there.... Where in my post did I mention a 'let's be friends' situation? :s
Real attraction is still out there.... Where in my post did I mention a 'let's be friends' situation? :s

"The guy I like..." Sounded like it was a friendship and now you've grown feelings otherwise I felt you should have written "The guy i'm dating/seeing"
Original post by iAmanze
"The guy I like..." Sounded like it was a friendship and now you've grown feelings otherwise I felt you should have written "The guy i'm dating/seeing"

My apologises. No friendship... He's the guy I'm seeing.
Reply 15
How long u been chatting to the guy for? Before dating him

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're being very open with the "some people are worth it" flirty type. How old are you both? .. If u want it for long term then be more secluded and covered up so he feels for more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't flirt to save my life lol. I thought that was a good effort. I'm 25 and he's 29... I lack experience in this department so I struggle pretty much everything. I feel like I'll come across too clingy if I go about things the wrong way
How long u been chatting to the guy for? Before dating him

Posted from TSR Mobile

A couple of weeks, we exchanged numbers spoke for a while then met up and took it from there.
Thanks. Up until a week ago I wasn't questioning if he was interested because we spoke quite regularly. Then he said he wanted to surprise me on Sunday which he did and we had a blast. He texted me good night, then on Tuesday we spoke on the phone and the convo above happened.

I started this joke on our first date and from then he didn't take it literally. The next day he threw the joke back at me then proceeded to talk about our next date. On Sunday I said people struggle to get me out my house and he said he didn't find it hard, I said some people are worth the effort ( he knew I was talking about him).

I'm doing guesswork myself. Before I didn't feel any way about initiating conversations with him, now I kinda feel a certain way about it. I just don't wanna make the mistake of misreading and taking a step back when I could be on the wrong page completely.

Hmmm, so it definitely wasn't the joke then. Are you always initiating the conversation now? Or making more effort to talk to him in comparison? It seems like he's just not into it any more, some people do that randomly. Why? Who knows, sometimes there's just no reason. Everything is going fine and then they turn cold all of a second and start distancing themselves slowly. So I would say he's just not that into you. If I were you I would act normal and wait for him to initiate a next date/convo from now on. See how it plays out, because you never know so don't jump the gun.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Hmmm, so it definitely wasn't the joke then. Are you always initiating the conversation now? Or making more effort to talk to him in comparison? It seems like he's just not into it any more, some people do that randomly. Why? Who knows, sometimes there's just no reason. Everything is going fine and then they turn cold all of a second and start distancing themselves slowly. So I would say he's just not that into you. If I were you I would act normal and wait for him to initiate a next date/convo from now on. See how it plays out, because you never know so don't jump the gun.

No he's messaged me twice last week, but it's been mostly me making the effort. I'd rather have closure, so i know where I stand. I don't get how we can go from having a great time with each other to him losing interest. We shall see though. I have taken a step back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending