The Student Room Group

Which A- Level Options?????

Next year, I will embark on my A level journey and I plan to study Medicine at University level.

And of course, this mean decisions, decisions, decisions.:K:

Honestly i'm torn. I don't know which subject to put down as my 4th subject

Already I know for certain that i want to and am going to do Biology, chemistry and Maths

But i don't know whether to take Physics or english?? as my last option.

Helppppp
Do you plan to study medicine too. what did you take or are going to take??
I am aspiring to get into the OXBRIDGE universities. Any insight into what might be most beneficial for me??

I will deeply appreciate any contributions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For medicine physics will be more useful as it's a science. Is there any particular reason for choosing english over physics?
As this is medicine, make sure your GCSEs are top notch with as many A*s as possible. Cambridge also take your UMS scores in AS level very seriously, and of course you've got the BMAT/UKCAT to deal with.
I think physics would be a better choice it shows that you are good at problem solving also it compliments your other subjects very well so the Universities can tell you are serious about the path you want to take. Also by taking maths physics wont seem too hard.
I'm thinking of studying medicine too, but I'm going for English Lit, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. This is because I enjoy English more. I think you should choose the one that YOU enjoy more .
Reply 4
Original post by Bright_Gift
Next year, I will embark on my A level journey and I plan to study Medicine at University level.

Already I know for certain that i want to and am going to do Biology, chemistry and Maths

Helppppp
I am aspiring to get into the OXBRIDGE universities. Any insight into what might be most beneficial for me??

Doesn't matter in the slightest, even for Oxbridge. If you enjoy English and are likely to get an A in it, then by all means take it. The same goes for physics, there's no reason not to take it, but don't believe that it will "improve your chances" or "be more useful" for medicine - the critical reading and writing skills you'll gain in English are probably just as valuable!

Helppppp

Whichever you like more and feel you can do best in. Neither one is more beneficial than the other. Personally I'd go for English as it might be useful to have a subject which allows you to develop skills in extended writing in addition to science.

You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge btw.
Even though English is a highly regarded A-level, I'd definitely go for Physics. Compared to English, Physics would be so useful in Medicine - the more science you study, the better!
Reply 7
Original post by CharmingCat
Even though English is a highly regarded A-level, I'd definitely go for Physics. Compared to English, Physics would be so useful in Medicine - the more science you study, the better!

Are you a med student? Or even an applicant?
Original post by Helenia
Are you a med student? Or even an applicant?

I'm not - I'm just sharing my personal opinion.

Helppppp

i'm in my first year of a-levels, a lot of the potential med applicants have taken physics, but are finding it incredibly hard even though we did IGCSE in the sciences (that helps us prepare for a-levels better). I want to go into medicine as well, and I took biology, chemistry, maths & economics and since economics is relatively easy compared to physics, I am doing a lot better than the biology-chemistry-maths-physics students. You need to know where your strengths are and work out which subject will get you a higher grade as at the end of the day your 4th subject could be the deciding factor on if you get an offer or not.

Good luck in your GCSE's
To be honest I'd say only do maths/physics if you are really good at it/love it. I did maths (got an A* GCSE and an A in further maths GCSE) and I got a C in it. I basically just did it because I thought medical schools would prefer it to French (wish I'd done that now lol).

Do whichever you feel you will enjoy the most and will get the highest grade in. Make sure the subject you choose is well taught as well. Honestly you have biology and chemistry so the other two subjects don't really matter as much.

With regards to the Oxbridge application thing, have a back up plan in case you get a B at AS or something similar. Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all, a medical degree from any uni is basically regarded at the same level. Also keep in mind how many people apply to Oxbridge vs. how many get rejected. Unless you have stellar GCSEs (9A*+) I would seriously reconsider applying. Good luck though. :smile: There's always a 2 week window of opportunity to switch after you've started the AS course haha that's what I did.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not - I'm just sharing my personal completely uninformed opinion.

Fixed that for you.

Helppppp

Do whichever you feel you would be able to get the best grade in.

This isn't the politics/religion forum; personal opinions tend to mislead people here, especially if they're not very well informed :sadnod:

Helppppp

I don't think it would make much difference. Go for the one you prefer. :smile:

For Cambridge, it might be better to do Physics.
Reply 15

There's not really room for personal opinion in med applications I'm afraid. In most cases there's a right an wrong answer or at least a better and worse option.
We're talking about pretty much the most competitive and probably complex degree application program in the UK!

Helppppp

1. Do whatever you love.
2. Ace your GCSEs.
3. You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.
I can see why you would go for physics because if you don't end up enjoying medical experience you have a sort of safety net for other science based degrees. Some uni's like creative subjects though e.g. UCL. But others disregard them e.g. Birmingham they don't like you doing music, drama or PE. I'm doing my AS's and I'd like to apply for medicine (I'm doing bio, chem, maths and music). I found doing all the sciences and maths a little boring before so I swapped from physics to music. But don't underestimate physics or English, they are both tough A levels. If I were you I would do the subject you're the most passionate about as it'll get you through some of the boring stuff in the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Democracy
Whichever you like more and feel you can do best in. Neither one is more beneficial than the other. Personally I'd go for English as it might be useful to have a subject which allows you to develop skills in extended writing in addition to science.

You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge btw.

Hi, thanks for the advice.
Could you clarify what you meant by your last statement, "You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge"
Reply 19
Hi, thanks for the advice.
Could you clarify what you meant by your last statement, "You can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge"

No-one can apply to both Oxford and Cambridge for an undergraduate degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending