The Student Room Group

pure core 1 maths chap 3 - coordinate geometry of straight lines question

Find, in the form ax+by+c=0, the equation of the line with gradient 2 and y-intercept -3
I get that you're supposed to rearrange it into the form y=mx+c, but that only gives the values of a/b and c/b, not the letters by their selves.
Original post by daviem
Find, in the form ax+by+c=0, the equation of the line with gradient 2 and y-intercept -3
I get that you're supposed to rearrange it into the form y=mx+c, but that only gives the values of a/b and c/b, not the letters by their selves.

For the simplest integer coefficients in that form, a = -2, b = 1, c = 3. Any multiples of this would also work, but it's best to simplify fully.
Reply 2
Original post by daviem

All the question is asking you to do is sub in your values of m and c, then rearrange y = 2x-3 into the form 0 = 2x-y-3 :smile:

You might be over complicating it
Reply 3
Original post by morgan8002
For the simplest integer coefficients in that form, a = -2, b = 1, c = 3. Any multiples of this would also work, but it's best to simplify fully.

Could you show me how you did it
Original post by daviem
Could you show me how you did it

You can rearrange the equation that you had: y=abxcb y = -\frac{a}{b}x -\frac{c}{b}
Then ab=2,cb=3\frac{a}{b} = -2, \frac{c}{b} = 3
Settting b = 1 for simplification, a = -2, c = 3

Or you can go from y = 2x - 3 and rearrange to 2x+y+3=0-2x + y + 3 = 0
Reply 5
Original post by Actaeon
All the question is asking you to do is sub in your values of m and c, then rearrange y = 2x-3 into the form 0 = 2x-y-3 :smile:

You might be over complicating it

But why does a=2 when we work -a/b out as being 2?
Reply 6
You can rearrange the equation that you had: y=abxcb y = -\frac{a}{b}x -\frac{c}{b}
Then ab=2,cb=3\frac{a}{b} = -2, \frac{c}{b} = 3
Settting b = 1 for simplification, a = -2, c = 3

Or you can go from y = 2x - 3 and rearrange to 2x+y+3=0-2x + y + 3 = 0

So you're supposed to take b to equal 1 even though the question doesn't say that?
Reply 7
Original post by daviem
But why does a=2 when we work -a/b out as being 2?

Using the straight line equation y=mx+c

m is the gradient, so y=2x+c
c is the y intercept, so y=2x-3
Rearrange to give 0=2x-y-3
Using the y=mx+c equation is a more intuitive way of doing things I find :smile:
Original post by daviem
So you're supposed to take b to equal 1 even though the question doesn't say that?

Yeah. In this situation, you can pick any(non zero) value you want for one of the variables, and the other two will change their values to match. I picked 1 because it's simple. If you don't like that, just rearrange the y = mx + c into the form you want.
Reply 9
Yeah. In this situation, you can pick any(non zero) value you want for one of the variables, and the other two will change their values to match. I picked 1 because it's simple. If you don't like that, just rearrange the y = mx + c into the form you want.

Oh ok, I just didn't realise that was allowed, thanks for your help
Reply 10

Ok, I understand that, thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest