The Student Room Group

Thinking about computer science - Help

Hi guys, first thread :smile:

(cliffs)
-Went to college for 2 years
-Took Maths Chemistry Law
-Did reasonably well first year (BBC)
-Decided against uni and dropped out 2nd year (UUU):angry:
-Resat exams independently and recieved BCC overall.
-Since then I've been working full time and considering university.

Im considering computer science because from what I've seen it involves logical problem solving and maths, both of which I enjoy, and it also interests me and I want to know more about computers.

However my concerns at the moment are:
1)I dont know much about computers at the moment, do you need to know anything about computers or is being good at maths enough ?
2)After being out of education for 2 years my maths may be a little rusty, what books should I be reading to brush up on and prepare myself for the course ?
3)Have I got completely the wrong end of the stick about what computer science really is and could I potentially be applying for the wrong course ?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by ifaptohentai
Hi guys, first thread :smile:

(cliffs)
-Went to college for 2 years
-Took Maths Chemistry Law
-Did reasonably well first year (BBC)
-Decided against uni and dropped out 2nd year (UUU):angry:
-Resat exams independently and recieved BCC overall.
-Since then I've been working full time and considering university.

Im considering computer science because from what I've seen it involves logical problem solving and maths, both of which I enjoy, and it also interests me and I want to know more about computers.

However my concerns at the moment are:
1)I dont know much about computers at the moment, do you need to know anything about computers or is being good at maths enough ?
2)After being out of education for 2 years my maths may be a little rusty, what books should I be reading to brush up on and prepare myself for the course ?
3)Have I got completely the wrong end of the stick about what computer science really is and could I potentially be applying for the wrong course ?

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Depending on where you apply, the amount of maths will vary. Most will know something about computers, but it's not particularly relevant, they'll teach you everything you need to know. I think you're spot on with your definition, maths logic and problem solving is what it's about. You've got maths a level which is very useful. Just read up on the particular uni course as to how mathsy it is, it varies between almost entirely theoretical/applied maths (such as at Cambridge) to a very practical focus with a lot of programming which may not have as much maths/abstract theory behind it. You'll need to enjoy programming though, otherwise it really isn't the right degree for you. It doesn't matter if you've got any/much programming background (though getting a little is a good idea just to make sure you're ok with it/enjoy it).
Reply 2
Original post by TVIO
Depending on where you apply, the amount of maths will vary. Most will know something about computers, but it's not particularly relevant, they'll teach you everything you need to know. I think you're spot on with your definition, maths logic and problem solving is what it's about. You've got maths a level which is very useful. Just read up on the particular uni course as to how mathsy it is, it varies between almost entirely theoretical/applied maths (such as at Cambridge) to a very practical focus with a lot of programming which may not have as much maths/abstract theory behind it. You'll need to enjoy programming though, otherwise it really isn't the right degree for you. It doesn't matter if you've got any/much programming background (though getting a little is a good idea just to make sure you're ok with it/enjoy it).

Thanks for the reply, is there any way to see whether i'll like programming before actually starting the course ?
Reply 3
Original post by ifaptohentai
Thanks for the reply, is there any way to see whether i'll like programming before actually starting the course ?

Sure, pick a language and try it out. Python is a good one for learning and has loads of resources available. It's a bit dull to start while you get the hang of things but just experiment with it. If you're enjoying it then CS sounds like it'd suit you just fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending