The Student Room Group

Chelsea Independent College

Anyone have any experience with this college?

Anyone applying to this college?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get more responses. :redface: Hopefully someone will be able to get back to you :h:
Reply 2
Original post by YounesB
Anyone have any experience with this college?

Anyone applying to this college?

I applied and have just been offered a place, I've not visited yet though, I'm thinking Duff Miller might be better so I'm going to wait before I start throwing the thousand pound deposit around. The principal was lovely for my interview, though.
Reply 3
Original post by psh
I applied and have just been offered a place, I've not visited yet though, I'm thinking Duff Miller might be better so I'm going to wait before I start throwing the thousand pound deposit around. The principal was lovely for my interview, though.

awesome! I'm actually thinking about applying through a scholarship/bursary.

what area do you live in? Maybe we could go together. I'm planning on going in February half term .
Reply 4
I didn't apply for a bursary, I'm not sure I'd quality (I'm guessing you'd need multiple A*s at GCSE and a family income below the average), so I can't give advice on that but I'm near Lancaster, I've got permission of absence for visits (Chelsea, Duff, Cheltenham and Stonyhurst), I hate Stonyhurst though I've been told Chelsea and duff are quite down to earth but I know people at Stonyhurst and they are the definition of elitists.

Where are you located?
Reply 5
Original post by psh
I didn't apply for a bursary, I'm not sure I'd quality (I'm guessing you'd need multiple A*s at GCSE and a family income below the average), so I can't give advice on that but I'm near Lancaster, I've got permission of absence for visits (Chelsea, Duff, Cheltenham and Stonyhurst), I hate Stonyhurst though I've been told Chelsea and duff are quite down to earth but I know people at Stonyhurst and they are the definition of elitists.

Where are you located?

The income is more important but grades I think is what they really care about. I think I'm in a safe place.

I'm still not sure whether I want to go to a private school. There's quite a lot of stigma attached to private schools and it also closes opportunities that only accept only state Scholl students.

I really just want to see how the college is. Facilities etc

Have you never thought about going to a state college ?
Reply 6
I've only ever been in church schools so I don't know what private education is like, but the facilities seem amazing, I gather the teachers are top notch (Oxford and Cambridge graduates), class sizes average 8, and the boarding houses look wonderful.
I want to study art history and I can only find it at private colleges, so I don't have much choice, but as for stigma I kind of understand, but I can't imagine any opportunities only available for state students, if anything it's evident private school students get an unfair advantage at getting into the Russell Group universities.
Reply 7
Original post by psh
I've only ever been in church schools so I don't know what private education is like, but the facilities seem amazing, I gather the teachers are top notch (Oxford and Cambridge graduates), class sizes average 8, and the boarding houses look wonderful.
I want to study art history and I can only find it at private colleges, so I don't have much choice, but as for stigma I kind of understand, but I can't imagine any opportunities only available for state students, if anything it's evident private school students get an unfair advantage at getting into the Russell Group universities.

What makes you think the Facilities are amazing ? I haVent seen any evidence of this.

Opportunities like what sutton trust hold (trips to America etc) are only for state kids

Btw. I live in London

The small class is defo an advantage
Reply 8
The facilities to me are more the close proximity to the galleries, but I know their science department is supposed to be one of the best in the country.
ive not heard of that trust, must not be a catholic school thing
Reply 9
Original post by psh
The facilities to me are more the close proximity to the galleries, but I know their science department is supposed to be one of the best in the country.
ive not heard of that trust, must not be a catholic school thing

Great ! I can't wait to visit the school !!
Hi gyus! I am considering Duff Miller and CIC too, however, I am unsure if I will qualify for a bursary ( I am from the EU) and I would like to know what is considered as a family income below average in the UK?
Reply 11
Original post by Madla Spadla
Hi gyus! I am considering Duff Miller and CIC too, however, I am unsure if I will qualify for a bursary ( I am from the EU) and I would like to know what is considered as a family income below average in the UK?

£17,000? I don't know. This is a somewhat educated guess.
Original post by YounesB
£17,000? I don't know. This is a somewhat educated guess.

Thank you. :smile: It was meant for one person, right? Or for two (married couple)?
Reply 13
Original post by Madla Spadla
Thank you. :smile: It was meant for one person, right? Or for two (married couple)?

I have really no idea. If you like, on the CIC website they have a online chat feature where you can ask these questions to someone who works there. They reply really quickly!
Original post by YounesB
I have really no idea. If you like, on the CIC website they have a online chat feature where you can ask these questions to someone who works there. They reply really quickly!

Thank you :smile:
I might be starting Duff Miller in September, does anyone know what the students are like there? or what the school is like? It looks very very small! Was offered a place in the interview but now don't know whether to accept or not. However in response to the disadvantage of gaining a place at a university due to attending an independent school, Cambridge has 60% state school students and 40% private however, in perspective, 95% of the country attends state schools whereas only 5% attend private so in perspective the numbers don't really place independent schools at a disadvantage

Quick Reply

Latest