The Student Room Group

DBS Checks.

So having recieved an offer for education studies, i need to get a dbs check done for that due to the placements involved in it. So i need some advice on them as ive never applied for on myself, although i do have one already done. But know i need to get a new one done for uni.

Do i have to get one done for each uni i apply for or not?
Reply 1
Original post by Jay018
So having recieved an offer for education studies, i need to get a dbs check done for that due to the placements involved in it. So i need some advice on them as ive never applied for on myself, although i do have one already done. But know i need to get a new one done for uni.

Do i have to get one done for each uni i apply for or not?

If you know which university you are applying to, then I would advise you get one done through them rather than getting one done for each.

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard of the DBS update service. It was brought in in 2013. It is £13.00 a year and it makes your DBS portable to other employers and automatically renews every year. Only problem is that you only have 19 days from the top of the certificate to put it on this update service, otherwise that DBS is limited only to the university you have it done by.

I have worked for a supply teacher agency and have processed DBS's myself, and the update service is such a money saver.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Doofy
If you know which university you are applying to, then I would advise you get one done through them rather than getting one done for each.

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard of the DBS update service. It was brought in in 2013. It is £13.00 a year and it makes your DBS portable to other employers and automatically renews every year. Only problem is that you only have 19 days from the top of the certificate to put it on this update service, otherwise that DBS is limited only to the university you have it done by.

I have worked for a supply teacher agency and have processed DBS's myself, and the update service is such a money saver.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, i know where i want to be going to. So i would use the 'pin code' and 'secret word' that they supply when using the dbs link via the uni website (the online form)? But i havent, and if i knew about that, its too late anyway as i had it done just over a year ago now.

Thanks all the same, has helped. Another thing is though, it is valid for the time period im at the uni? so one for the 3/4 years im there depending on what i decide to do after the BA?
Reply 3
Original post by Jay018
Yeah, i know where i want to be going to. So i would use the 'pin code' and 'secret word' that they supply when using the dbs link via the uni website (the online form)? But i havent, and if i knew about that, its too late anyway as i had it done just over a year ago now.

Thanks all the same, has helped. Another thing is though, it is valid for the time period im at the uni? so one for the 3/4 years im there depending on what i decide to do after the BA?

Yes, if you want it done via them, using their pin code and secret word would be correct :smile:

If it was on the update service, it would automatically renew every year as you pay a £13 annual subscription fee! But generally DBS' tend to last 3 years in total. :smile:
Original post by Doofy
Yes, if you want it done via them, using their pin code and secret word would be correct :smile:

If it was on the update service, it would automatically renew every year as you pay a £13 annual subscription fee! But generally DBS' tend to last 3 years in total. :smile:

Coolies, even though it last for the 3 years, i need a new one doing because it is for a different institution?
Reply 5
Original post by Jay018
Coolies, even though it last for the 3 years, i need a new one doing because it is for a different institution?

I would think you would need a new one, as it is for a different institution - to be on the safe side! I would say your previous DBS is for your current institution. On the plus side, if you get a new one done you can put it on the update service and it would be portable and would automatically renew :smile:
Original post by Doofy
I would think you would need a new one, as it is for a different institution - to be on the safe side! I would say your previous DBS is for your current institution. On the plus side, if you get a new one done you can put it on the update service and it would be portable and would automatically renew :smile:

Yep, thats what im thinking as well. need to think really. but im going to be ringing the uni up anyway as im not sure what cat' to put it under, as it doesnt have my course as one of the choices, so ill enquire about that as well if it would be a good thing to do.

Thanks for all the help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jay018
Yep, thats what im thinking as well. need to think really. but im going to be ringing the uni up anyway as im not sure what cat' to put it under, as it doesnt have my course as one of the choices, so ill enquire about that as well if it would be a good thing to do.

Thanks for all the help :smile:

No problem - glad I can help!

Quick Reply

Latest