The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2780
Original post by gohohome
I've received all 5 of my offers actually. Yeah, I can send you a copy of my PS if you want. It's great :smile:
I hope the attachment works, uh, I tried to paste a prntscrn link but it's pending.

I still can't know for sure that your grades are really ABCD, but I doubt that anybody would on purpose downgrade their grades. Wow. It is really impressive to be honest! Yes, I would love to have a look at your statement if that's alright with you.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2781
Original post by gohohome
Yeah, surely that would be Economics, no? :wink:

Original post by Daltohn
Lol at "the most competitive course"

Posted from TSR Mobile

BSc Economics
Applications 2013: 2,747
First year students 2013: 211

BSc International Relations
Applications 2013: 1022
First year students 2013: 63
Original post by benq
BSc Economics

well I see what you're saying but nahhhhhhh, econ all the way #420 #econlyfe #360RoadPricingNoScope
Reply 2783
Original post by jchap9776
well I see what you're saying but nahhhhhhh, econ all the way #420 #econlyfe #360RoadPricingNoScope

ok lol
Original post by benq
ok lol

lol, the stats don't lie in fairness
Original post by jchap9776

#LSEeconOrDyeTryin' #keepit3hunna #TheGoldmanSachs #MC=MR
Haha yes Econ is obviously more competitive, the applicant pool is by far the strongest so percentages are irrelevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrBowcat

#MC=MR lmfao, dead
Social Anthropology at LSE is more competitive than Cambridge Medicine by your logic lol, everyone knows Econ is the elite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2789
Original post by Daltohn
Social Anthropology at LSE is more competitive than Cambridge Medicine by your logic lol, everyone knows Econ is the elite

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not my logic. LSE Social Anthropology and Cambridge Medicine have absolutely different admission processes so you can't compare them like that without adjusting for it, if you didn't know.
Original post by benq
That's not my logic. LSE Social Anthropology and Cambridge Medicine have absolutely different admission processes so you can't compare them like that without adjusting for it, if you didn't know.

Why would that matter? Then you have to think that one of them is flawed, because both lead to acceptance or rejection. Explain why it's justified to say that IR is more competitive than Econ solely based on acceptance rate, but not that IR at LSE is more competitive than e.g. Yale and MIT (unless that is your opinion).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2791
Original post by Daltohn
Why would that matter? Then you have to think that one of them is flawed, because both lead to acceptance or rejection. Explain why it's justified to say that IR is more competitive than Econ solely based on acceptance rate, but not that IR at LSE is more competitive than e.g. Yale and MIT (unless that is your opinion) .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because acceptance rate is the only data we have an access to, so making a judgement based on that is the only possible way to reach a conclusion without speculation.

Yale and Harvard have an absolutely different admission system and overall criteria, don't you get it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by benq
BSc Economics

First of all those stats are deceiving. They don't say how many offers were made but only how many people actually firmed and met their offers. So if that was your argument you might wanna factor applicants to offers ratio rather than applicants to acceptance.

And even if we did factor those in it doesn't give a fair reflection. For example, what's going to be harder breaking in a course with 5 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get A*A*A* or where there's 2 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get AAB? Ceteris Paribus. What matters is the quality of the competition not the amount, and I agree with Daltohn under this straight Econ wins.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by benq
Because acceptance rate is the only data we have an access to, so making a judgement based on that is the only possible way to reach a conclusion without speculation.

Yale and Harvard have an absolutely different admission system and overall criteria, don't you get it?

I think few would disagree that Econ applicants are stronger in general, self-selection occurs when the best students apply to the most prestigious courses. You're the only one that needs data to see that. Instead you completely disregard the relative strength of the applicant pools.

So you can't say it's more difficult to get to play for Man United or Chelsea than your local sunday league team because the recruiting system is different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrBowcat

Lololol
Reply 2795
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
First of all those stats are deceiving. They don't say how many offers were made but only how many people actually firmed and met their offers. So if that was your argument you might wanna factor applicants to offers ratio rather than applicants to acceptance.

And even if we did factor those in it doesn't give a fair reflection. What's going to be harder breaking in a course with 5 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get A*A*A* or where there's 2 places and 10 applicants where everyone's set to get AAB? Ceteris Paribus. What matters is the quality of the competition not the amount, and I agree with Daltohn under this straight Econ wins.

I agree with your first point. But I don't think that it matters. We can only assume that they give an equal amount of offers to both Economics and IR applicants. At least I don't see any reason to think otherwise.

Where is the evidence that IR applicants are of such significantly lower standard than the Economics ones? In fact, if we look at the entry standards for Politics at LSE in 2015, it says 545 tariff points. For Economics it is 576. That's quite an insignificant difference. Furthermore, IR applicants usually have way more impressive ECs than economists. Apart from grades that also determines the quality of the applicant. So I wouldn't downgrade IR only because "everybody knows Econ is the elite" as Daltohn was so kind to point out.
Original post by benq
To receive an offer for IR at LSE with ABCD at AS? Sounds legit!

[INDENT]Hey so I go to school with gohohome and this is all true so there's no need to doubt. Our school in general is very succesful with LSE offers and this year we have people holding econ, law and IR offers.

It's sad and very upsetting for you to try and downgrade her offer when she has (just like every other person applying to LSE worked very hard)

The fact that she had to send her offer to prove it makes me sick, you are not an admissions officer so why do you think you have any more insight into what it takes to get an offer?

Reply 2797
Original post by lildchic

[INDENT]Hey so I go to school with gohohome and this is all true so there's no need to doubt. Our school in general is very succesful with LSE offers and this year we have people holding econ, law and IR offers.

It's sad and very upsetting for you to try and downgrade her offer when she has (just like every other person applying to LSE worked very hard)

The fact that she had to send her offer to prove it makes me sick, you are not an admissions officer so why do you think you have any more insight into what it takes to get an offer?

Hi there. There was a need to doubt because it is very unusual for people with such grades to get an offer from LSE. Sorry but that's true. It doesn't matter how good your school is in this case.

I would never try to downgrade her offer, apologies if it appeared that way. Nobody forced her to post the offer over here, I didn't even ask, so you are wrong again - she didn't have to. Lol. What if I am an admissions officer? And even if I am not, I never claimed to have more insight. You are taking it too seriously...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by benq
Hi there. There was a need to doubt because it is very unusual for people with such grades to get an offer from LSE. Sorry but that's true. It doesn't matter how good your school is in this case.

I would never try to downgrade her offer, apologies if it appeared that way. Nobody forced her to post the offer over here, I didn't even ask, so you are wrong again - she didn't have to. Lol. What if I am an admissions officer? And even if I am not, I never claimed to have more insight. You are taking it too seriously...

Well al I can is that I've been following this thread since page 1 and i have browsed last years and people have gotten offers with lower grades and withthe right resits they have been able to go.

You did downgrade her offer when you said 'To receive an offer for IR at LSE with ABCD at AS? Sounds legit!' and yeah well I dont need the apology really she does...

Which brings me on to why I took it so seriously becuse I personally think its rude and disrespectful and I dont like that.

I know she posed that of her own accord but so far every time someone posts the got ab offer someone says 'what are your stats?' So I guess she was saving them the trouble of asking.

Also, you did claim to have insight when you stated your doubts over her offer.
Reply 2799
Original post by lildchic
Well al I can is that I've been following this thread since page 1 and i have browsed last years and people have gotten offers with lower grades and withthe right resits they have been able to go.

You did downgrade her offer when you said 'To receive an offer for IR at LSE with ABCD at AS? Sounds legit!' and yeah well I dont need the apology really she does...

Which brings me on to why I took it so seriously becuse I personally think its rude and disrespectful and I dont like that.

I know she posed that of her own accord but so far every time someone posts the got ab offer someone says 'what are your stats?' So I guess she was saving them the trouble of asking.

Also, you did claim to have insight when you stated your doubts over her offer.

I haven't seen anybody with lower grades getting an offer from LSE. Not even once. Please provide evidence if you decide to insist on this point. Furthermore, even if somebody did get in with lower grades, it is an exception, not the rule. I am sure everybody here would agree with me that getting an offer from LSE with ABCD at A-level is extremely unlikely. That's why I was so surprised. And yes - it was surprise, not disrespect or whatever you saw there.

And no, I doubt that she needs an apology. No self-content person "needs" an apology on an internet forum from a stranger.

Alright. If she sent it to save somebody's trouble, then don't claim that she did it to prove something. And that "she had to". That's purely ridiculous.

What? So every time I am doubting something - I am automatically proclaiming that I am an expert in the field? What kind of logic is that?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending