The Student Room Group

Struggling to learn Biology

I'm struggling with Biology the most and I've spent hours learning it. Its not staying in my head! Do you have a way to learn Biology in the simplest way possible?
Biology is a little different to the other sciences because there's a lot of memorising that needs to be done. I'd go as far as to say there are fewer questions on application of knowledge than there are questions that require you to have memorised a billion facts.... This is usually the thing that catches people out... Mark schemes are awfully specific and examiners are often looking for correct terminology.

I'd say the best way to learn/revise Biology is to first do a past paper, and mark it harshly or (ideally) have someone mark it for you (you're very likely to award marks that 'you would've gotten anyway in an exam situation' and that's far from helpful!). You then want to take note of the topics that you lost marks on, if you only lost 1 or 2 marks make sure you know WHY you lost them and how you'd get them next time, it could be a matter of learning a single key definition.

For topics you got completely wrong in the paper- LEARN THEM! How you learn them depends on how you like to revise, I personally go and watch a video on YouTube, and then make some notes while watching it, making sure I understand what's going on. After that you want to make flash cards with model answers for the questions you got wrong- do this using the mark scheme. Move on to another past paper and repeat the process. You can then come back to those papers a week or two later and attempt the questions you got wrong again, this time hopefully gaining many more marks. Good luck!
just do ppq, same applies to chem if you do it

these subjects are literally memory tests
I normally treat the content as if it's a cartoon.
E.g. Immune system - after a phagocyte engulfs a pathogen, it presents the pathogen's antigen on it's membrane to become an APC (antigen-presenting cell) -> I just think of it as the phagocyte putting up trophies of its conquests over the pathogens
Reply 4
Get the CGP revision guide because the Nelson Thorne book has a lot of extra rubbish that isn't needed.
Reply 5
Original post by victoria98
Biology is a little different to the other sciences because there's a lot of memorising that needs to be done. I'd go as far as to say there are fewer questions on application of knowledge than there are questions that require you to have memorised a billion facts.... This is usually the thing that catches people out... Mark schemes are awfully specific and examiners are often looking for correct terminology.

I'd say the best way to learn/revise Biology is to first do a past paper, and mark it harshly or (ideally) have someone mark it for you (you're very likely to award marks that 'you would've gotten anyway in an exam situation' and that's far from helpful!). You then want to take note of the topics that you lost marks on, if you only lost 1 or 2 marks make sure you know WHY you lost them and how you'd get them next time, it could be a matter of learning a single key definition.

For topics you got completely wrong in the paper- LEARN THEM! How you learn them depends on how you like to revise, I personally go and watch a video on YouTube, and then make some notes while watching it, making sure I understand what's going on. After that you want to make flash cards with model answers for the questions you got wrong- do this using the mark scheme. Move on to another past paper and repeat the process. You can then come back to those papers a week or two later and attempt the questions you got wrong again, this time hopefully gaining many more marks. Good luck!

Thank you
Reply 6
Original post by babywong310
I normally treat the content as if it's a cartoon.
E.g. Immune system - after a phagocyte engulfs a pathogen, it presents the pathogen's antigen on it's membrane to become an APC (antigen-presenting cell) -> I just think of it as the phagocyte putting up trophies of its conquests over the pathogens

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by scriberg
just do ppq, same applies to chem if you do it

these subjects are literally memory tests

Ok thanks
Original post by Jaz203
Get the CGP revision guide because the Nelson Thorne book has a lot of extra rubbish that isn't needed.

so true haha
the thick revision book is amazing, teaches you everything you need to know without any extra bull**** given in the one schools give you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest