The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nugar
Hey hey,
I'm finishing up a double degree in mathematics and education (secondary) in Australia. I'm applying for MSc Gender Research and MSc Gender - I'd rather the latter, but I think I have a better chance because of my maths/stats training, and I'm thinking about future study where the quant research qualification might put me ahead.

I'm really unsure re: application because my degree is structured quite differently. My GPA is 6.0 on a 7 point scale. My degree is a 4 year double degree with an embedded research/honours pathway: during my 3rd and 4th years I completed a research methods and research philosophy course, as well as a 15,000 word dissertation for which I received an average of 98% from external and internal examiners (meaning I have what we call "first class honours" which is different to a UK first class honours).
I've got two good references and a bit of Research Assistant work, an international conf paper done, one in the works and a journal article being written which will hopefully be [submitted] by the time I complete my apn. I basically want to go to LSE as it is one of the last Higher Ed institutes with a Gender dept, the staff there produce outstanding research, and I want to be in a intellectual environment that is bat-**** insanely rigorous, I guess.

Does anyone have any feedback about how they think my application might fair, please?

Hi, did you submit your application? how is it?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Ashklins
Got an offer for G&E yesterday around 1 pm! Super excited 😄

Congrats! Is it your first choice ? When did you apply and what are your predic if you dont mind asking ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gg_ruan
I'm waiting for that as well! Where are you at with the emails, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm waiting for management as well !
Reply 2883
Original post by Dmirza96
Counting on UCL now - Still haven't heard from them. I've received offers from my fallback options (Surrey, Queen Mary). I'm considering reapplying next year though, my Cambridge interviewer suggested I should go to Oxford - he told me I was 'too Aristotelian for Cambridge'!? I disagreed.

Have you already received your cambridge feedback?
A&F where are youuuuuuuu? *panicking in despair
Congratulations, when did you submit your application?
Original post by Econ95
Have you already received your cambridge feedback?

Yes, I have. They told me that my grades (Best three UMS average) were higher than the average successful offer holder - I had 96.5 and the average was 95. But my interview scores were too weak. I had three interviews, and my scores were a 7, 6 and 4 out of 10. The latter score, I still maintain, was the result of an unfair and hostile interviewer. I got 100% in my Religious Studies AS, and was accused by the interviewer of applying for the wrong subject based on that score. Any attempt I made to back up my interest in Maths and Economics seemed futile. He told me I'd be better off at Oxford, supposedly because it is more Aristotelian in terms of their teaching style. It all seems very daft, but I came to accept their decision. Although the interview seemed tough, I don't think I responded strongly enough.
Reply 2887
Original post by dmirza1996
Yes, I have. They told me that my grades (Best three UMS average) were higher than the average successful offer holder - I had 96.5 and the average was 95. But my interview scores were too weak. I had three interviews, and my scores were a 7, 6 and 4 out of 10. The latter score, I still maintain, was the result of an unfair and hostile interviewer. I got 100% in my Religious Studies AS, and was accused by the interviewer of applying for the wrong subject based on that score. Any attempt I made to back up my interest in Maths and Economics seemed futile. He told me I'd be better off at Oxford, supposedly because it is more Aristotelian in terms of their teaching style. It all seems very daft, but I came to accept their decision. Although the interview seemed tough, I don't think I responded strongly enough.

Woah that's unfair, you're stats are really strong! I'm still waiting for my feedback but I agree the interviews are tough.. Anyways sod Cambridge I'm sure you'll go to a great uni regardless

If that is the case, they should have stated it up front so people would not waste their time on them and only apply to Oxford.
Anyone offers yet today????

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol be happy you didn't go there. LSE is by far the best school for Economics and Finance and Accounting in the UK. Placement in investment banking is sick. If you want to get into Goldman LSE is the real deal. Sure, Oxbridge could get you in, but being at LSE makes getting placed there so much easier. I know people at LSE and Oxbridge, and LSE does litterally everything to help you get placed at a top firm to keep up their brilliant placement records. Trust me, you have no clue how valuable their career-service is. People just assume that if you go to a good university you easily get in at all top firms, and that just not necessarily true. I know loads of top students who didn't get in, and loads of less good ones that did get in because they were prepared optimally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just got an unconditional offer for Government and Economics!
Original post by studentibanker
Lol be happy you didn't go there. LSE is by far the best school for Economics and Finance and Accounting in the UK. Placement in investment banking is sick. If you want to get into Goldman LSE is the real deal. Sure, Oxbridge could get you in, but being at LSE makes getting placed there so much easier. I know people at LSE and Oxbridge, and LSE does litterally everything to help you get placed at a top firm to keep up their brilliant placement records. Trust me, you have no clue how valuable their career-service is. People just assume that if you go to a good university you easily get in at all top firms, and that just not necessarily true. I know loads of top students who didn't get in, and loads of less good ones that did get in because they were prepared optimally.

Looks like ranking criteria should include Careers Service quality or success % ... :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Gatsby123

congratulations, when did you apply
Original post by GandalfWhite
Looks like ranking criteria should include Careers Service quality or success % ... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Totally! Though even without it LSE is still first in terms of Econ/Finance/Accounting on the QS ranking out of the unis in the UK :smile:.
(edited 9 years ago)

Fantastic news. Congrats :smile:
Original post by normandi
Anyone offers yet today????

Posted from TSR Mobile

One for Law!
Original post by albchris
I'm waiting for management as well !

Ahh so stressful ><
Original post by gpjalwa
congratulations, when did you apply

I applied on the 9th of November :smile: my 8 weeks ended tomorrow