The Student Room Group

Teenager and need advice !!!

Basically, i'm in my GCSE's, i'm looking into business and banking. What type of banking area is good to work in? I'm doing A level business and may do a business degree in uni. Advice will be appreciated!! Do you think i need alot of mathematics or any math degrees to get into business&banking? And what type of banking is good, i heard data analysing is going to be huge soon and good money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its more likely youll get into banking with maths and physics than business

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Theres a good article written for A level students at canarywharfian.com, check it out.
Reply 3
Original post by c_k62

Posted from TSR Mobile

My mate is 27 and got into banking with Law but learnt everything he needed in data analysing while he was doing law somehow and learnt all the coding and banking. He told me the employers usually go for people with a Business degree but he got lucky with his law degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by smashzeJ
Theres a good article written for A level students at canarywharfian.com, check it out.

I'll check it out bro, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
To be honest, "business" degrees are kind of frowned upon by banks when you decide to apply. If you want to get into banking it's all about maths. You should probably look towards doing an Economics or Physics degree to maximize your choices.
Original post by c_k62

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Tom102
To be honest, "business" degrees are kind of frowned upon by banks when you decide to apply. If you want to get into banking it's all about maths. You should probably look towards doing an Economics or Physics degree to maximize your choices.

This is false. Banking is hardly about maths at all. The maths involved in Investment Banking tops at differentiation.

Business as a degree at a good university will land you an interview. MBAs are a prime example of why people with a background in business are sought after. It matters not what degree you study for most part as long as you show the relevant competencies and inter-personal attributes.

Obviously studying Business/Finance/Economics gives you an edge on the technical front but by no means is it necessary. From my interning at an IB, a lot of employees had degrees in business/business administration from well-regarded business schools.

I wouldn't go around giving advice on things you know nothing about.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Abdul-Karim
This is false. Banking is hardly about maths at all. The maths involved in Investment Banking tops at differentiation.

Business as a degree at a good university will land you an interview. MBAs are a prime example of why people with a background in business are sought after. It matters not what degree you study for most part as long as you show the relevant competencies and inter-personal attributes.

Obviously studying Business/Finance/Economics gives you an edge on the technical front but by no means is it necessary. From my interning at an IB, a lot of employees had degrees in business/business administration from well-regarded business schools.

I wouldn't go around giving advice on things you know nothing about.

To an extent I agree with you. The problem is to get on any decent internship now you have to do numerical tests. Merely doing a maths/econ degree would likely give you a greater chance of passing.

However I agree with what you have said.
Original post by Tom102
To an extent I agree with you. The problem is to get on any decent internship now you have to do numerical tests. Merely doing a maths/econ degree would likely give you a greater chance of passing.

However I agree with what you have said.

Those numerical tests are not a test of your mathematical ability but moreso a test of logical deduction and inferring data from different styles of sources. I know people Warwick Maths students who failed those tests and History students passing. A couple weeks practice will put you in the running for scoring well on those tests. All questions are probably GCSE standard. That being said, those who study numerate degrees have more confidence in applying to these roles because they aren't afraid of tests and numbers, whereas others may be.

Source: I've done about 14 of those tests this cycle and passed most if not all the numericals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Those numerical tests are not a test of your mathematical ability but moreso a test of logical deduction and inferring data from different styles of sources. I know people Warwick Maths students who failed those tests and History students passing. A couple weeks practice will put you in the running for scoring well on those tests. All questions are probably GCSE standard. That being said, those who study numerate degrees have more confidence in applying to these roles because they aren't afraid of tests and numbers, whereas others may be.

Source: I've done about 14 of those tests this cycle and passed most if not all the numericals.

Great point. Was just about to infer that I know Physics students at top uni's who have failed and people doing humanity based degree's passing.
Reply 10

Thank you Akhi, where can i get an example of how the maths would be like? Also a friend of mine got into Investment banking with a Law degree, i may do Business finances as a uni degree. What can i do to get more Information on Investment banking? Is the route hard? I'm at my last year of GCSE's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliobeid
Thank you Akhi, where can i get an example of how the maths would be like? Also a friend of mine got into Investment banking with a Law degree, i may do Business finances as a uni degree. What can i do to get more Information on Investment banking? Is the route hard? I'm at my last year of GCSE's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're talking about maths as in for the numerical testing:
https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/insidecareers/NumericalTest1/
Try that.
Reply 12
Original post by iAmanze
If you're talking about maths as in for the numerical testing:
https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/insidecareers/NumericalTest1/
Try that.

People say the maths in Investment Banking is extremely hard ... That is do-able if i go over it and learn the concepts... Is there anything else? I heard there are equations etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
People say the maths in Investment Banking is extremely hard ... That is do-able if i go over it and learn the concepts... Is there anything else? I heard there are equations etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're talking about Quants roles then yes, you'd prob benefit from a Phd in Maths/Physics/Computer science.

For the main roles it's pretty basic maths (adding and taking away) and excel (for financial modelling) does it for you mostly.

Have a look at this: http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-math/

I wouldn't worry about technicals until you get to a stage where you're applying for spring/summer internships. It matters not what you do as a degree, for the most part.

You can just search around on google. Great sites include investopedia/mergers & acquisitions/wall street oasis/canarywharfian.

Yes, I would say it's one of the more difficult professions to break into.. however, if you have th intellegence, commitment and motivation to do it, it's most certainly do-able.
Reply 15
I wouldn't worry about technicals until you get to a stage where you're applying for spring/summer internships. It matters not what you do as a degree, for the most part.

You can just search around on google. Great sites include investopedia/mergers & acquisitions/wall street oasis/canarywharfian.

Yes, I would say it's one of the more difficult professions to break into.. however, if you have th intellegence, commitment and motivation to do it, it's most certainly do-able.

I got some family in investment banking working in the places in London, so when i'm older i may have links. Is there alot of I.T? Excel sheets etc... I heard the work is 80+ hours a week?!? Thats crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by iAmanze
If you're talking about Quants roles then yes, you'd prob benefit from a Phd in Maths/Physics/Computer science.

For the main roles it's pretty basic maths (adding and taking away) and excel (for financial modelling) does it for you mostly.

Have a look at this: http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-math/

Thats great! Most people say there is ALOT of maths... What does it mainly consist of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got some family in investment banking working in the places in London, so when i'm older i may have links. Is there alot of I.T? Excel sheets etc... I heard the work is 80+ hours a week?!? Thats crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

IBD side can be more, but it come with the job. Think long and hard whether you want to go for IB. Excel is your best friend in the world of Investment Banking. You will learn to love it, it's a very useful software to know how to operate.

Thats great! Most people say there is ALOT of maths... What does it mainly consist of?

Maths to forcarest probable likelihoods of certain events occuring, for optimisation purposes, to conduct certain financial analysis (DCF/LBOs) etc..
Reply 18
IBD side can be more, but it come with the job. Think long and hard whether you want to go for IB. Excel is your best friend in the world of Investment Banking. You will learn to love it, it's a very useful software to know how to operate.

Maths to forcarest probable likelihoods of certain events occuring, for optimisation purposes, to conduct certain financial analysis (DCF/LBOs) etc..

What other IB is there apart from data? But yeah excel is do-able. The money is great and i'll get a Degree In Sha Allah but do i want to be doing 80 hours + a week...? Ahh

Posted from TSR Mobile
What other IB is there apart from data? But yeah excel is do-able. The money is great and i'll get a Degree In Sha Allah but do i want to be doing 80 hours + a week...? Ahh

Read through the many roles there are at an Investment Bank here: http://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/why-goldman-sachs/our-divisions/investment-banking/

That's really only a decision you can make. It's a sacrifice of your social life (as you know it), for the most part. As Will said in a previous thread you made, what do you want from life?

Money isn't everything and can make people really unhappy and lonely. Work/life balance is **** in IBD.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending