The Student Room Group

Closed book lit revision??

I have a closed book exam, and my mock exam for it in a week. You're expected to put quotes in your answers but how can you remember relevant quotes from 3 texts to exam questions that you dont know what will ask!!! I thought about memorising quotes that concern key themes, characters, setting etc.

ANY OTHER IDEAS, I HAVE THE MEMORY OF A FISH
yeah just try to find relevant quotes for each character and quotes that can be used in a multiple of ways so you can manipulate them to fit with the title
also even if you only remember the jist of the quote or action you can paraphrase and still gain marks
Reply 2
our teacher had us go through each scene/chapter and find what we thought were the most important quotes from that scene/chapter (and say why they were important) and use those as the ones we should remember, but also quotes on themes and characters.

My teacher suggested the best way is to find short quotes, some even one or two words, as they are easier to remember
Reply 3
THESE ARE GOOD IDEAS!

Just in case though, how do i paraphrase a quote, such as from Wuthering Heights "Oh! you said you cared nothing for my sufferings! And I pray one prayer I repeat it till my tongue stiffens –Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always take any form drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

THANKS EVERYONE X
Original post by rach1996hol
I have a closed book exam, and my mock exam for it in a week. You're expected to put quotes in your answers but how can you remember relevant quotes from 3 texts to exam questions that you dont know what will ask!!! I thought about memorising quotes that concern key themes, characters, setting etc.

ANY OTHER IDEAS, I HAVE THE MEMORY OF A FISH

Haha, same about the memory comment... and I'm doing an English degree now! :/. However, you will most definitely get better at it with practice!

I would recommend you to NOT find individual quotes on theme and character. Try and look at is this way "how is theme of marriage presented in the character of..." Find quotes that a character says about a theme or issue or find a quote that the narrator says about a character, which explains/underpins a certain theme/issue in the novel. It's the most sufficient way of picking out quotes.

Do your very best to pick out short, concise quotes that show off youre technical accuracy (how your embedded quotations show fluidity and maturity in your writing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending