The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SA-1
I don't think Luke has experienced that feeling..

Yeah, I went there :wink:

mate that was just too far :/
at least we've won the Champions League though; makes me feel a little bit better, but it's still painful to have seen your team get so close to the title on two different occasions :frown:

Original post by TornadoGR4
Whilst it's arguably fair to say Relegation is the worst pain in football (aside from complete liquidation), what would people say is the greatest joy in football? Premier League or Champions League?

there is no greater feeling than seeing your team become the champions of europe (essentially the best team on the planet).
especially if you do it liverpool-style :wink:

obviously arsenal fans wouldn't know about that though :colone:

Original post by sr90

It's a damn good feeling though. When it happens you'll know what I mean :smile:

(Referring to the dissertation hand in, but I suppose you can apply it to the Premier League too)

oh definitely; once that's handed in, all i have to focus on is my exams.
no other bits of coursework or assignments, it's just basically 2 months of preperation.
dissertations are due in pretty early in my course - deadline is on the 13th :frown:
Original post by TornadoGR4
I was actually thinking about this earlier. How, in football, Man Utd fans, Arsenal fans, City, Chelsea know a joy I've never experienced in football: Winning the League. But also you'll never know a pain I've experienced in football: Relegation.

Whilst it's arguably fair to say Relegation is the worst pain in football (aside from complete liquidation), what would people say is the greatest joy in football? Premier League or Champions League?

None of those it's winning the World Cup
Original post by al_94

Obviously talking about club football considering I mentioned relegation.

Besides, I'd rather see Leeds win the Champions League than England win the World Cup (both are as likely as the other)
Original post by al_94

I don't think i'd be that bothered if England won the World Cup tbh. Don't get me wrong its fun to watch England at a major tournament but I never really cared when they got knocked out, whereas if United lose or play badly i'm in a foul mood for the rest of the day!
Original post by sr90
This. Moyeseh being sacked is a close second.

I was hiding behind the sofa in 2008. ****ing hate penalties.

just out of interest, how would you compare LVG to Moyes?
personally i think DM was extremely hard done by and was seriously scapegoated.
the manager after him may be in a higher position, but performances aren't any better.
not to mention how he spend a few hundred million AND didn't have european distraction this season.

chelsea vs united shoot-out....i was gutted.
when terry slipped i almost felt like i'd lost the CL too.
that is the single luckiest event in manchester united history -_-
Original post by sr90
I don't think i'd be that bothered if England won the World Cup tbh. Don't get me wrong its fun to watch England at a major tournament but I never really cared when they got knocked out, whereas if United lose or play badly i'm in a foul mood for the rest of the day!

If England won the World Cup after 50+ years of failure the country would go mad!
Original post by al_94
If England won the World Cup after 50+ years of failure the country would go mad!

i'm bored with england to be frank.
used to love them and be proper gutted when we lost, but i just gave up in the end.

if liverpool winning the title next season meant england would never win an international trophy ever again, i'd take that.
Original post by Lúcio
just out of interest, how would you compare LVG to Moyes?
personally i think DM was extremely hard done by and was seriously scapegoated.
the manager after him may be in a higher position, but performances aren't any better.
not to mention how he spend a few hundred million AND didn't have european distraction this season.

chelsea vs united shoot-out....i was gutted.
when terry slipped i almost felt like i'd lost the CL too.
that is the single luckiest event in manchester united history -_-

The players he's signed have been fine (apart from Falcrap which wasn't his signing anyway) there was just too much to fix in one transfer window. Go look at our squad from last season and the vast majority of them no longer play for us, you won't find another 'top' team that has had such a high player turnover. We STILL need another 5 players this summer.

It's disgraceful that we don't have a settled XI or even a preferred formation in March though. Much like Moyes we have no idea what the plan is or how he wants us to play, and some of his team selections are shocking. We've played 18 different CB partnerships this season which is a ****ing disgrace, compare this to Chelsea who have played 2.

Van Gaal has the support of the players though. It was obvious that Moyeseh lost the dressing room after a few months. Despite playing awfully we're at least coming back to draw/win games this season as well which never happened under Moyes.

In short he's doing a better job but it's still not good enough.
Original post by Lúcio
look at it this way; would you rather be at home to everton or city? -_-
everton may have gone through easily in europe (against awful opponents) but they're utter garbage in the league.
you'll thrash them (although i kinda hope you dont...)

you're telling me!
pretty sure they up their game against us a little bit more than against you:tongue:
bloody jagielka....

That Jagielka goal has to come down as one of the best derby goals ever. I'll never forget that lol, literally the last kick of the match. He literally went "**** it why not" and blasted in a beauty. Sorry..am..am I bringing back memories or? :colone:

Urgh cheers for the encouragement lol, we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if the Emirates was half empty tbh. But that's why I love our fans tbh, always a packed place even in times of trouble. :redface:

Original post by Arkasia
Champions League by far.

Don't make them wum on the obvious :ninja:

Original post by leinad2012
I don't think he's been awful, but he has been distinctly average imo, Monreal has actually been a rock this year.

It's sort of like me saying I'd start Costa over Remy, I don't dislike Remy, he's just not as good as Costa and that's how I feel with Gibbs and Monreal (although I have been a bit of a Monreal fanboy since I watched the Basiktas game at the Emirates and was in awe at his stunning ability to mark a player making a run whilst jockey another player on the ball at the same time:tongue:)

Clearly I didn't pay enough attention to him that game then. He was so so so solid before Monreal was a regular. Not too sure what's going on with him tbh.

I also will continue to bestow myself with pride at the fact that I had Monreal's back from day uno and got slated. Boom :cool:
I've noticed he's less scrawny as well, gym sessions have clearly helped the phsyicality department there.

Original post by al_94

England bore me. :dontknow:
Reply 2929
Original post by Lúcio
mate that was just too far :/
at least we've won the Champions League though; makes me feel a little bit better, but it's still painful to have seen your team get so close to the title on two different occasions :frown:

I know what getting close feels like, think the pain of gooners in 2006, when we should have won the CL

It's the Henry miss that still pains me :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
i'm bored with england to be frank.
used to love them and be proper gutted when we lost, but i just gave up in the end.

if liverpool winning the title next season meant england would never win an international trophy ever again, i'd take that.

You Liverpool fans are desperate but then again you haven't won the league in 25 years :hahaha::lfc:
Apparently I was really close to winning the £480 ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425172489.108604.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Numan786
Apparently I was really close to winning the £480 ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425172489.108604.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't betting haram?
Original post by sr90
The players he's signed have been fine (apart from Falcrap which wasn't his signing anyway) there was just too much to fix in one transfer window. Go look at our squad from last season and the vast majority of them no longer play for us, you won't find another 'top' team that has had such a high player turnover. We STILL need another 5 players this summer.

It's disgraceful that we don't have a settled XI or even a preferred formation in March though. Much like Moyes we have no idea what the plan is or how he wants us to play, and some of his team selections are shocking. We've played 18 different CB partnerships this season which is a ****ing disgrace, compare this to Chelsea who have played 2.

Van Gaal has the support of the players though. It was obvious that Moyeseh lost the dressing room after a few months. Despite playing awfully we're at least coming back to draw/win games this season as well which never happened under Moyes.

In short he's doing a better job but it's still not good enough.

blind and herrera have been solid.
rojo has been decent; he could be much better with a solid partner imo.
shaw has been okay, although he's obviously for the future.
di maria has been wayyyyy under par; you know what he can do so it's even more frustrating.
falcao has just been.....lol.

i would say the best signings you have made are young and valencia.
i'm literally classing them as new acquisitions simply because they seem like different players to me - they should be nailed on starters imo (especially young).

i agree, team selection and formation set-up is the most frustrating part of LVG.
you saw it a little with rodgers earlier in the season but we found the system and look at us now!
as a fan i would be pissed off that it has taken this long are there are still few signs that he knows what he's doing.

i think moyes was unfortunately to be directly after SAF.
there is always going to be a drop in managerial quality, but clearly the players didn't appreciate that and they simply didn't care.
now with LVG, he is much more accomplished as a manager so there will be more respect there.
however i feel like looking at the circumstances, he has done no better than moyes, so it pisses me off with how much protection/how little criticism he seems to get.

with respect, i feel like the difference between moyes and LVG is simply luck and little else more :/
you can't deny that you have had a pretty lucky season in general, and i don't mean in the way of single, isolated events.
i mean things like rivals underperforming, opponents missing sitters and just generally somehow getting points from a game with a 2/10 performance.

i respect moyes twice as much as LVG and that is saying a lot coming from a liverpool fan.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
That Jagielka goal has to come down as one of the best derby goals ever. I'll never forget that lol, literally the last kick of the match. He literally went "**** it why not" and blasted in a beauty. Sorry..am..am I bringing back memories or? :colone:

Urgh cheers for the encouragement lol, we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if the Emirates was half empty tbh. But that's why I love our fans tbh, always a packed place even in times of trouble. :redface:

those 2 points could literally ruin our season when you consider how close it is at the top.
i know fans always look back at the ifs and buts but that was simply a one in a million goal that turned 3 points in to 1, it's as simple as that.
if we miss out on top 4 by a few points, we won't hear the end of it from everton fans and it'll haunt me for a long time...

meh, we'll see.
maybe there will be a few surprises - we normally play well against city but don't get the result (bar anfield last season).

Original post by SA-1
I know what getting close feels like, think the pain of gooners in 2006, when we should have won the CL

It's the Henry miss that still pains me :frown:

i feel your pain - the 2007 revenge CL final was tough to take :frown:
at least there are something things you can fall back on though; i truly believe i'll never see an invincibles season ever again.

under normaly circumstances i'd say CL>PL however having a whole season undefeated?
unbeatable.
Original post by al_94
You Liverpool fans are desperate but then again you haven't won the league in 25 years :hahaha::lfc:

please don't :/
can you imagine how it feels to come runners up to both manchester clubs in my time supporting liverpool? :frown:
Original post by gunit123
Isn't betting haram?

Is it all the Saudi's do it and told me it's fine.
Original post by Arkasia
Bitey boy needed a fresh start away from the PL :yy:

Bitey boy wa nuh be bitey wit mi.
Original post by Lúcio
blind and herrera have been solid.
rojo has been decent; he could be much better with a solid partner imo.
shaw has been okay, although he's obviously for the future.
di maria has been wayyyyy under par; you know what he can do so it's even more frustrating.
falcao has just been.....lol.

i would say the best signings you have made are young and valencia.
i'm literally classing them as new acquisitions simply because they seem like different players to me - they should be nailed on starters imo (especially young).

i agree, team selection and formation set-up is the most frustrating part of LVG.
you saw it a little with rodgers earlier in the season but we found the system and look at us now!
as a fan i would be pissed off that it has taken this long are there are still few signs that he knows what he's doing.

i think moyes was unfortunately to be directly after SAF.
there is always going to be a drop in managerial quality, but clearly the players didn't appreciate that and they simply didn't care.
now with LVG, he is much more accomplished as a manager so there will be more respect there.
however i feel like looking at the circumstances, he has done no better than moyes, so it pisses me off with how much protection/how little criticism he seems to get.

with respect, i feel like the difference between moyes and LVG is simply luck and little else more :/
you can't deny that you have had a pretty lucky season in general, and i don't mean in the way of single, isolated events.
i mean things like rivals underperforming, opponents missing sitters and just generally somehow getting points from a game with a 2/10 performance.

i respect moyes twice as much as LVG and that is saying a lot coming from a liverpool fan.

those 2 points could literally ruin our season when you consider how close it is at the top.
i know fans always look back at the ifs and buts but that was simply a one in a million goal that turned 3 points in to 1, it's as simple as that.
if we miss out on top 4 by a few points, we won't hear the end of it from everton fans and it'll haunt me for a long time...

meh, we'll see.
maybe there will be a few surprises - we normally play well against city but don't get the result (bar anfield last season).

i feel your pain - the 2007 revenge CL final was tough to take :frown:
at least there are something things you can fall back on though; i truly believe i'll never see an invincibles season ever again.

under normaly circumstances i'd say CL>PL however having a whole season undefeated?
unbeatable.

please don't :/
can you imagine how it feels to come runners up to both manchester clubs in my time supporting liverpool? :frown:

My my, you have been doing a fair bit of United bashing on here of late Lukey boy, squeaky bum time getting to you? :wink:

In fairness this post is a bit better and a bit less 'united are utter ****' than some of your other recent ones :tongue: You made some good points about Valencia and Young being like new signings. But I think you are being too harsh on Van Gaal.

He has balls where Moyes didn't for starters. More than happy to haul are record signing off at half time for a young player when the former was badly under performing. Moyes was too scared to make big calls due to the repercussions.

Also, although I agree that the fact we don't have a rigid formation, starting XI etc in the month of March is extremely frustrating, we are still 5 players away from having a proper squad, which has therefore caused tinkering continuously to try and find a balance. Not easy when the squad inherited was so horrendously unbalanced.

I also feel Moyes dug his on grave in spending a summer chasing unrealistic targets and ending up with Fellaini, who he previously managed yet couldn't even use properly. Baffling. Our signings bar Falcao have been the right ones, and I believe he was Woodwards doing anyway.

All that said, I agree is has not been good enough and I hoped we would have progressed quicker. But don't underestimate the mess he picker up after Moyes. I do still believe if we scrape top 4, Van Gaal could build something that will compete on all fronts. But fact of the matter is we have to get top 4 now and we're running out of time to find form. It's between us and you in my opinion. Arsenal are agiven, they always qualify some how.

I think Van Gaal will pull something out of the bag, that's my gut. Could be wrong though, it's 50/50 right now and today's result will be important. Although everything really comes down to Anfield fixture. If you drew today for example but won at Anfield, that'd make you favourites considering our fixture list. But if you lost/drew today and then we won at Anfield, it's over IMO. Fine margins.

Anyway credit to Rogers for turning the team around. The season would still be a failure for Liverpool fans if you finished outside top 4 and won nothing. But you have a chance at both, and you looked dead and buried a couple of months ago. I think as Liverpool fan you can see the good in giving an under performing manager plenty of time, if you think long term he is right. Rogers and Klopp are prime examples of this.

Edit: Just realised this was the Arsenal thread. Apologies guys, didn't mean to hijack your thread onto Liverpool/United chat. My bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
#Arsenal team to play @Everton: Ospina, Bellerin, Gabriel, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud

#Arsenal subs: Szczesny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Chambers, Rosicky, Walcott, Welbeck #AFCvEFC
So the Big Fat Grouch is dropped. Looks like he'll definitely be off in 2016
Original post by Peggles_*
#Arsenal team to play @Everton: Ospina, Bellerin, Gabriel, Koscielny, Gibbs, Coquelin, Cazorla, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud

#Arsenal subs: Szczesny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Chambers, Rosicky, Walcott, Welbeck #AFCvEFC

That lampost Giroud starts again. He should give Szczesny a chance now Ospina has been poor recently. Monreal has been dropped despite of his good recent performances. At least that Giraffe Mertesacker has finally been dropped and we can see Gabriel.

Latest